Asturianos in Jersey City

Retelling the stories of the Asturian-American migration.<br>
Recontando las historias de la emigración astur-americana.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

JackFernandez

Asturianos in Jersey City

Post by JackFernandez »

My name is Jack Fernandez, and both my parents come from Asturias. My Mother Celestina Emilia Leon arrived in Ellis Island on the 24 MaY 1916. My father Joaquin Fernandez Brana, I have yet to find his arrival, but know he came prior to 1916 and settled in Jersey City, New Jersey, where he met my mother. I recall there was a large group of Asturianos who lived in Jersey City, and all belonged to "La Benefica", or as you call it by its full name "Sociedad Benefica Espanola". As a teenager I remember going to many dances at the club. They held formal meetings, had picnics and parties on all the holidays. During the Spanish Civil War, they were very active. I remember they were called, Loyalist, Royalist, Republicanos, and yes Anti-fasitas and anti-Francistas. My father, his brother Jose Maria, and my uncle Julio Leon were all actilve members. They were famous for their soccer team. For your information there was also a "La Benefica" on 14th St. in New York City. My uncle Jose Rodriguez was very active, and was an officer of that club for years. I can remember other Asturianos living in Jersey City at the time the families of Yglesias, Garcia, Brana, Gonzalez, Alvarez, Leon and others. This brings back many memories. This site is teriffic, keep it up.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

That's really interesting, Jack!

Can you tell us more about what the Benefica was? As one who never knew it first hand, I'm not sure I understand its full import to the community. Was it a combination of social club and mutual assistance society? Did they help each other with money or other support in the event of deaths or illnesses (sort of like insurance or social security)? Did they get involved politically in the US?
CarmenGA

Post by CarmenGA »

Todavía hay un edificio en la calle 14 de Manhattan que hoy día se llama "La Nacional" y tiene en su parte baja un bar y restaurante donde se puede comer tortilla y croquetas, ver un partido de fútbol español o jugar a las cartas y del que me han dicho que era una institución muy importante para la comunidad española en la zona de Nueva York y que llegó a tener su propio seguro médico y por el que pasó gente tan ilustre como Federico García Lorca durante su estancia en NY.
¿Puede ser el mismo sitio que mencionan ustedes?

There is still a building on West 14th St, which everybody knows as "La Nacional" and that belongs to a society. In the ground floor it has a restaurant where you can eat Spanish food as Spanish omelette or croquetes, or you can play Spanish card games or watch a soccer match. I have been told that this place played an importan role in the community of Spaniards living in the New York area and they even used to have their own insurance. Spaniards as relevant as Federico García Lorca are said to have visited the place.
Could it be the same place you are talking about?
Manuel A Gonzalez

Post by Manuel A Gonzalez »

Interesting about the club in Jersey City......there was also one in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania called the Spanish American Democratic Club or Association. My parents were both members and I remember going to meetings and to parties and dances. There was a building and I remember the members playing naipes. There was a fairly large Spanish "colonia" in Bethlehem that mostly worked at the Bethlehem Steel Coporation. Not all were Asturianos but there were some families. The club disbanded sometime in the 1980's mostly because there were no new immigrants to support the club.
Manuel Gonzalez Lopez
From Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
mother from Naveces (near airport in Asturias)
father from Taborneda (above Aviles)

Return to “Immigrant Stories - Historias inmigrantes”