How to get Genealogical information from Spain

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Sweeney

How to get Genealogical information from Spain

Post by Sweeney »

There is already a posting on how to use U.S. Documentation for genealogical research: http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=236. I thought it would be good to have a separate posting on how to acquire information from sources in Spain. I have had a few successes in obtaining documentation. I would like to share my experiences and I would love to hear how others have obtained genealogical information from Spain.

In researching my family, I first obtained as much documentation about my grandparents from U.S. records. From the Social Security Applications and Ellis Island records I discovered the dates of birth of my grandparents, where they originated, and the names of their parents.

Once I had that information, I decided to write the Civil Register in Spain and request a copy of my grandparents Birth and Marriage certificates (The Civil Register started archiving records around 1875, so they probably will not have a record of a birth, marriage or death occurring prior to that date).

You can order vital records online at the following website: http://www.mju.es/registro_civil/index.htm. The online register requires a DNI (Spanish Equivalent of the Social Security Number). I would not suggest putting your SSN in that space. I have heard of people putting in a random number like 123456 and then in the comment space, writing in Spanish “I am a U.S. Citizen, I do not have a DNI”.

Unfortunately, the Civil Register in the town my grandparents originated did not have online access, so I had make my request by regular mail.

I do not speak Spanish, so this was a problem. I overcame this obstacle by using one of the many online language translators. There are three that I use:
http://world.altavista.com/
http://www.reverso.net/textonly/default.asp
http://www.freetranslation.com/

They all are good, but I recommend that you keep the language as simple as possible. Do not use slang or figurative speech. If you know somebody that speaks Spanish, have the letter proofread.

You can see document request sample letters by purchasing a copy of the Spanish Letter Writing Guide from the the Latter-day Saints: http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wcs/st ... =Y&tclBC=Y

Click onto Family History Research Products> How to > and then Language Helps. The guide only costs $1.25 and it is very helpful.

Once your letter is written, when you mail in your request you should include a self addressed envelope and International Reply Coupons for return postage.

I have found Spanish Civil Register documents to be very detailed. For example: the death certificates for my great grandparents had the following information:

Name of the Deceased.
Time and date of death
Place of birth of Deceased and where he/she resided.
Profession of the Deceased.
Parents of deceased and where they were born and resided.
Spouse of deceased.
Where the deceased is buried.
Surviving children of the deceased.

Marriage and birth certificates are equally detailed.

After requesting documents from the Civil Register, I decided I would try to obtain documents from the church that my grandparents attended. The first step was identifying the church. I found a listing of parishes at the following website: http://www.iglesiadeasturias.org/

There were three churches serving my grandparent’s town. At that point I simply posted an inquiry in the forum asking if anybody knew which church was around during the late 1890s. Once I identified the church I wrote a letter to the Priest at that parish requesting my grandparents baptismal and marriage certificates. Once again, I wrote my request in Spanish and I included a self addressed envelope and funds for return postage. In addition, you may want to send a small donation for the parish.

Spanish Baptismal certificates are fantastic. They not only have the names of the child and parents, but the maternal and paternal grandparents and where they originated. Often the document will not only tell you which town the ancestor was born or lived, but which church they attended. For example: On my grandmother’s baptismal certificate it states my great great grandfather Miguel Artime was natural de San Martin de Podes- Gozon. Meaning the parish he attended was San Martin de Podes located in Gozon.

This information can be helpful later in your research when you wish to request church documents on that particular ancestor.

After I requested documents from the church and state, I decided to try to contact cousins in Spain. I was lucky because my grandparents have very uncommon surnames. I used the following website:
www.infobel.com to look for people having the same surnames as my grandparents. There were about 25 people; a dozen of those people lived in the town my grandparents originated. I wrote all 12 of those people. I told them who I was and that I was researching my ancestors who originated from that town. I asked them if we could be related, and if we were, I would love to correspond with them. I then gave my email address.

Out of the 12 people I received 4 responses. I have been corresponding regularly with my cousins who have sent me dozens of photos and documents.

I hope this information helps others in some way. Good luck with your search! I would love to hear other success stories! 8)
Last edited by Sweeney on Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donna
stars67

Post by stars67 »

Donna - this is great information - thanks very much for bringing it to my attention.

Becky
Spdairy306

Post by Spdairy306 »

As a new member I would like to thank you for the info. I wanted to see if you need an exact date. I have my great grandparents birth date and location (from their Florida death certificate). However I don't have any other dates for marriage or any dates for their parents.
Sweeney

Post by Sweeney »

Dear Spdairy:

The most important thing is what town they were born in. You do not need an exact date (or at least I did not when requesting information). But since most searches are done by hand and not by computer, it is best to have at least the year. Usually this can be gained by the US Census. If your great grandparents were living in the US before 1930, they may show up in one of the censuses. Often the census will ask either the date of marriage, or how many years a person has been married, or what age the person was when they married. Using this information you can guess the year of marriage. Even if that particular census does not have a marriage question, usually the age of the oldest child can give you a clue.

If your great grandparents married after 1870, then their marriage certificate should be registered at the Civil Register in the town they married and at the church they attended in Spain.

If you do not have access to census data give me an email and maybe I can help you. I will need to know the names of your G-grandparents and any other information that can narrow down a search. For example, if your G-grandparents had very common names like Jose and Maria Fernandez, then I may need some more information, like the names of their children in order to know I have the correct couple.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me. Good luck with your search! 8)
Donna
Spdairy306

Post by Spdairy306 »

Fortunately, I know were they were born, and I'm pretty sure I know where they were married. The towns are very small. My Great Granmother, and my Grandmother were born in the town of Loro. My Great Grandmother was born in Selgas. I found the town in the Council? of Pravia. I have been been to the Spanish Civil Records web itse but I have not found anything listing the costs of getting copies. Do you know what it costs to get a copy of the different records?
Sweeney

Cost

Post by Sweeney »

There is no cost.
Donna
Spdairy306

PROPER ADDRESSING

Post by Spdairy306 »

Thank you again for the valuable information. I need to request the certificates in writing. I'm not sure of how to address the letter. The info I have is the following:
Address: PZA Marques Casa Valdes, S/N
C. Post: 33120
Providence: Austurias
Independedt Com.: Austurias
Could you help me to make sure I address the envelope correctly.

I had a copy of my grandmother's birth certificate that was obtained years earlier and it provided a wealth of information. It was not like the forms that I am use to with the US. It was basically a statement made by her uncle that she was legitimate daughter of my great grandparents, where they were born, and who their parents (my great great grandparents) were and if they were living or dead. I had this information already from their Florida death certificates. I don't know if this is how all birth certificates are from that era (she was born in 1911) of if it because of the the remote location. If they are all like this it will very informative.

Thank you again for you assistance
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

A normal address would read:

{Name of Person or Entity}
PZA Marques Casa Valdes, S/N (<-- S/N means without number)
33120 {City Name}, Asturias, Spain (<-- note revised spelling of Asturias)

Just fill in the {who or what} on the first line and the city name, and you're ready. Of course, the curly braces won't in the real address.

I don't know for sure, but from what I see on this page listing Registro Civil offices:
http://66.102.11.104/search?q=cache:9q- ... n&ie=UTF-8

it looks like you might want:

Registro Civil
PZA Marques Casa Valdes, S/N
33120 Pravia, Asturias, Spain

-------------

Una dirección normal sería:

{Name of Person or Entity}
PZA Marques Casa Valdes, S/N (<-- S/N means without number)
33120 {City Name}, Asturias, Spain (<-- nota ortografía revisado de Asturias)

Sólo hay que rellenar el {quién o qué} de la primera línea y la ciudad, y ya estarás lista. Desde luego, las abrazaderas (corchetes?) rizadas no van en la dirección verdadera.

No estoy seguro, pero leyendo este lista de oficinas de Registros Civiles:
http://66.102.11.104/search?q=cache:9q- ... n&ie=UTF-8

me parece que necesites:

Registro Civil
PZA Marques Casa Valdes, S/N
33120 Pravia, Asturias, Spain
Sweeney

documents

Post by Sweeney »

The death and birth certificates I have received from Spain look like regular form documents with the exception of my great grandparents' marriage certificate which was just a very long statement. When I put in a request I have included a self-addressed envelope and usually two dollars for postage. It is recommended that we include International Return postage coupons that we should be able to get from the post office (instead of cash). Unfortunately, my little town post office said they never heard of them. I usually get the documents back in the envelope I provided within a few weeks. 8)
Donna
Spdairy306

HOW LONG SHOULD IT TAKE

Post by Spdairy306 »

I wanted to see what the expected wait time to get copies of requested documents? Because I got involved in other things I never followed up, but I never received a response from my initial request. I wanted to see how long before I should get concerned.

Thank you.

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”