Site visitor patterns / Patrones de usuarios del web

If you can't figure out where else to post, say it here.<br>
Si no sabes dónde poner tu tema, pongalo aquí.

Moderator: Moderators

Art
Site Admin

Site visitor patterns / Patrones de usuarios del web

Post by Art »

When I was studying our statistics on site visits, I was surprised to see that our visits tend to decrease on the weekends. This is at least true of August and September 2007. That's the 4th and 5th, 11th and 12th, etc. of the month of August 2007, and the 1st and 2nd, 8th and 9th of the month of September 2007, as shown in the following image. (August may be a little odd because of the large number of people on vacation.)

It could be that a significant number of people visit the site at work and don't have computers at home, in which case we're contributing to a loss of productivity. Or maybe they're busier with social activities on weekends.

Most of the visits do occur during the day. I think the time on the charts is Eastern Standard Time (EST is used on the east coast of the US), so Asturians would be getting to work at our (EST) at about 3 am EST, which is when traffic starts picking up. But it gets heaviest in late afternoon EST. Given that most of our traffic comes from the US, I think we're getting a lot of visits in the afternoon while Americans are at work.

Even though about half of our members are Asturians, they visit the site much less than those from the US. In the following charts the US visitors are the orange, green, and some of the blue unknowns. Spain includes the part in red and probably some of the unknowns in blue. (I'm not sure, but some of the orange could be Google and other robots.)

----------------------------

Cuando estudiaba nuestra estadística sobre visitas de sitio, fui sorprendido ver que nuestras visitas tienden a disminuir en los fines de semana. Esto es por lo menos verdad de agosto y del septiembre de 2007. Ése es el 4to y el 5to, 11mo y 12mo, etc. del mes del agosto de 2007, y el 1r y el 2do, 8vo y 9no, etc. del mes del septiembre de 2007, demostrado en la imagen siguiente. (Agosto puede ser un poco impar debido a el número grande de la gente el vacaciones.)

Podría ser que un número significativo visite el sitio durante el día laboral y no tiene computadoras en casa, en este caso estamos contribuyendo a una pérdida de productividad. O seamos quizá más ocupados con actividades sociales los fines de semana.

La mayor parte de las visitas ocurren durante el día. Pienso que el tiempo en las tablas es Eastern Standard Time [hora estándar del este] (el EST se utiliza en la costa del este de los EE.UU.), así que asturianos estaría llegando al trabajo aproximadamente a las 3 horas EST, que es cuando el tráfico comienza a subir. Pero el tráfico aumenta ser más pesado por la al fines del tarde EST. Dado que la mayor parte de nuestro tráfico viene de los EE.UU., pienso que estamos recibiendo muchos de las visitas por la tarde mientras que los americanos están al trabajo.

Aun cuando sobre la mitad de nuestros miembros son asturianos, ellos visita el sitio mucho menos que ésos de los EE.UU. En la tablas siguientes los visitantes de los EE.UU. son el los de naranja, verde, y algunos del parte desconocido en azul. España incluye la pieza en rojo y probablemente algo de los desconocidos en azul. (No soy seguro, pero algo de la naranja podría ser de Google y otras robots.)

Bob

Post by Bob »

Interesting data, Art. I have long noticed that the number of new posts seems to fall off on weekends, and assumed that it reflected lower traffic to the website, probably because many members access the website from work rather than from home computers.

In any event, I am grateful for all posts from our members, and happy that we all have formed a good online community.
is

Post by is »

Very interesting stats, Art. Thanks for posting the graphics, after all you ARE the invisible hand that makes all of this work!

Judging by August + September it seems like wednesdays and thursdays are the days most hits are made here. Isn't that an industry-wide pattern? From my day-to-day, I know that Mondays and Tuesdays tend to be crazy, so I have less time to post stuff (which is why I keep leaving the Asturian word-of-the-week for wednesday-thursday). But by Friday, I usually have a life again.

Btw, just read a piece in the Washington Post today that said that US employees confess to 'wasting' about 1.8 hours of their time at work, most of it while they are surfing online.

Return to “General Discussion - Discusión general”