translation of "put hair on your chest"

Grammar & vocabulary, learning it, etc.<br>
Gramática y vocabulario, aprenderlo, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Art
Site Admin

translation of "put hair on your chest"

Post by Art »

Almudena and I were wondering about how to translate: "something puts hair on your chest." It means that something (usually a food or drink, in my experience) is so strong that it "makes a man of you".

I've never heard it said to a woman....and most women don't want hair on their chests! My father and mother say this about foods occasionally, but I'm not sure I've heard it elsewhere.

I see that it is in my dictionary as: "¡Esto te hará la mar de bien!" The dictionary says it's only used in relaxed situations. I'm not sure I understand the Castellano refrán, but it doesn't sound similar.

Does anyone have a better idea? Does "¡Esto te hará la mar de bien!" translate it well enough?
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

I would say: "Esto te hará un hombre de pelo en pecho", which is a quite usual expression.

---------------------------
Yo diría: "Esto te hará un hombre de pelo en pecho", que es una expresión bastante corriente.

Terechu
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Oh, that's good, Terechu!

I never realized before this that the underlying meaning is that it will make a man of you!

-------------
translated by Art & Reverso

¡Ah, fantástico, Terechu!

¡Nunca comprendí antes de esto que el significado subyacente es que hará un hombre de tí!

Return to “Castilian Spanish - Castellano”