FAQFAQ          SearchSearch          MemberlistMemberlist          UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile          Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages          Log inLog in          
The Orphanage / El Orfanato

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Asturian-American Migration Forum Index -> Review/Recommendation - Crítica/recomendación
View previous topic :: View next topic  
is

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: The Orphanage / El Orfanato Reply with quote

The Orphanage, a film produced by Guillermo del Toro, directed by Antonio Bayona, has just been released here in the US (January 4, 2008).

I saw the film in Xixon last October because the screenplay is by Sergio G. Sanchez, from San Feliz, near the town of Brieves in County Valdes (L.luarca/Luarca). I met Sergio years ago at the international film festival in Xixon. He did his MFA at NYU and his most acclaimed short film is a 17-minute horror story titled '7337' that takes place in a village called Naviel.la (pronounced 'Navietsa'). The dialogues of '7337' are entirely in Asturian.

This is the trailer for The Orphanage, which I think was filmed in the Llanes area of eastern Asturias. Maybe someone in the forum knows exactly where, as I don't have a clue.

http://www.theorphanagemovie.com/

A review in this week's Washington City Paper by Tricia Olszewski of The Orphanage (alas no mention of Asturias, as usual):

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=34367
Art
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, what a creepy trailer! It reminds me a little of the short film we saw at the NYC Jornadas Asturianas last winter. Do you remember its name, Is?

-----------------

¡Vaya, que avance tan espeluznante! Me recuerda un poco del cortometraje que vimos en las Jornadas Asturianas en NYC el invierno pasado. ¿Is, recuerdas el título?
is

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's 7337, the short film by Sergio G. Sanchez! I'd forgotten we'd seen it at the Xornaes. He carried quite a bit of the motifs from his short film over to The Orphanage, which is why it struck you as familiar.
Art
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, well that makes sense! Thanks!

------------

¡Oh, ahora tiene sentido! ¡Gracias!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Asturian-American Migration Forum Index -> Review/Recommendation - Crítica/recomendación All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: