Sopa de berzas/Kale soup

Broths, purees, & more.<br>
Caldos, purés, y más.

Moderators: almudena, Moderators

Xose

Sopa de berzas/Kale soup

Post by Xose »

This is still one of my favorite foods. This recipe comes from my great-grandmother Tomasa Vallina Garcia.

Bunch of fresh Kale
Garbanzo beans (1 can)
Pork and beans (1 can)
Onion (coarsely chopped)
Potatoes (cut into smallish pieces)
Ham hock
chorizo cut into small rounds
ketchup
salt, pepper

Clean the Kale thoroughly under running water, and cut out all the MAJOR stems (small stems are fine, as they'll soften in the soup)

Add the ham hock to the boiling water and let it cook for about 20 minutes

Add the salt/pepper, potatoes, onion, kale, garbanzos, pork and beans, chorizo, and a generous squirt of ketchup; stir and mix everything up.

Let cook until the potatoes are soft.

This soup is better after one day in the fridge. Heat it up and eat it with some home-made bread....I'm getting hungry just writing this down....

To make a healthier version of this soup, omit the ham hock in favor of four beef boullion cubes (or a can of beef stock) and forego the chorizo. I wouldn't advise using any other kind of chorizo than Spanish, as the spices in the different sausages will drastically alter the flavor of the Kale. If you omit the chorizo, add a little paprika to your soup.... yum!
Joe Junior Garcia

soups

Post by Joe Junior Garcia »

Is this cothido ??
Mafalda

Post by Mafalda »

No... es un potaje extraño.

Con todo mi cariño a Xose, no me creo que la abuela Tomasa le pusiese ketchup al pote de berzas :lol: :lol: :lol:

En mi pueblo (Arnao) llamabamos "puchero" al cocido de garbanzos, que admite tantas variaciones como gustos del cocinero, y por supuesto, siempre lleva garbanzos, distintas carnes de ternera (Chamón, costilla...) chorizo, longaniza, gallina o pollo etc.

Lo que Xose describe se parece mas al "pote de berzas", aunque lleva garbanzos en vez de fabes ¡¡¡y ketchup!!! :twisted:
"Comienza tu día con una sonrisa, verás lo divertido que es ir por ahí desentonando con todo el mundo."
Mi amiguita Libertad ________Image
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Boy, that is an Americanized recipe! A can of pork and beans, and ketchup!

Joe Junior, I don't think we have a cocido recipe on the forum yet, but there is a fabada and some other interesting dishes here:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=26

---------------------------

¡Vaya, que receta tan americanizada! ¡Una lata de carne de cerdo (muy poco, la mayoría tocino) y alubias, y ketchup!

Joe Junior, creo que todavía no tenemos una receta para cocido en el foro, pero hay una fabada y otras recetas interesantes aquí:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=26

Return to “Soups - Sopas”