Aviles City Map

People, history, places, resources, & more.<br>
El pueblo, historia, lugares, recursos, & más.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Moderators

Bob

Post by Bob »

Ana,

Is the music school the one across from Plaza de Domingo Acebal?

I wholeheatedly agree that Avilés is a great walking city.

Bob
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Ana
I think that I took a photo of the music school ,is this it?
Anuska

Post by Anuska »

Hi again Ron!

No, that is not the Music School. That is a school, too (Escuela de artes y oficios, Arts and Crafts School) but not the music one. The music school is placed in that same square. If you put yourself in front of this school and look to the left you'll see the music school in the corner.

As Bob said, is the one across Plaza Domingo Álvarez Acebal.

Here's a link to the town council's web where you can see a small pic of the music school.

Link to photo

Regards,

Ana
Last edited by Anuska on Sat May 31, 2008 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anuska

Post by Anuska »

Good evening!

Passage taken from the town council's guide. Time ago there were guides about the city available in English and French. I keep boath at home (you never know when it can be useful...). So, this is what the guide explains about the music school:

Palace of Balsera
Modernist building constructed in the beginning of the XX century, with an eclectic style, plenty of ornamentation.

That's all! Unvelievable!

The building was property of a rich doctor. When the palace was built, the city was poor and people lived in really difficult conditions. So the fact this doctor decided to build a big house using expensive and luxurious materials (for example marble for the columns of the front door) didn't help him in making lots of friends in the neighbourhood. Inside, he built a little theatre. The stairs are just beautiful and covered with carpets made at the Real Fábrica de Tapices (they are still there). He lived there with his family until he died of chyrrosis.

If you have the chance to visit the school, don't miss it.

Regards,

Ana
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Ana
I have a lot of photos that I took in Aviles I could have taken one of the school ,I'll take another look.

Return to “About Asturias - Sobre Asturies”