Riosa, Spain

Lyrics for Asturian songs in the public domain<br>
La letra de canciones asturianas en el dominio público

Moderators: Chris, Moderators

Michael

Riosa, Spain

Post by Michael »

I have recently been checking into my ancestory, and have traced it back to a town called Riosa in Asturias Spain, my great grandfathers name was Frank Cabo, he immigrated to Clarksburg, West Virginia in the early 20th century , where he married Florentine Fernandez in 1915.One of his sons was named Benjamin Cabo. Benjamin had a child with my grandmother (my dad) but joined the military and was stationed in Fort Richardson during WW2, and remained in Alaska until he died in 2003. I am really not even sure that he knew that he had family back here in Clarksburg. But anyone with any info on anybody in the U.S. or Asturias with the name of Cabo, I would be very interested in anything you have to offer. thanks.
Last edited by Michael on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Micheal,
Manuel Cabo has family who lives in Clarksburg, and I think a niece down south not sure were. Welcome to the forum we're not too far from each other.
Michael

Post by Michael »

would that be manuel cabo who died in 1956? Son of Blas Cabo? Where do you live? I live right outside of morgantown.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Michael
I think Manual died some time in the 80s ,and yes thats me. I know that he had a farm, and worked in the cold mines ,we were friends. My mother and Manual grew up in Anmoore together
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Hi Michael, wellcome to the forum.

There are nowadays 37 people in Riosa county in Asturies in the phone book, some in the town of Riosa and some in other places as L'Ará, all of them named Cabo.
blancopen

Cabo Family

Post by blancopen »

Michael
A Florentina Fernandez arrived in Ellis Island on Feb. 13, 1915 at the age of 25. She was on the ship,Meganic that sailed from Liverpool.The ship's log notes she was born in Elina. She was to meet a friend, Franciso Cabo in Clarksburg, WV.(346 Pike St.) As for other Cabo families, the 1930 Donora, PA census lists a Jose Cabo. Can't make out the spelling of his wife's name. They arrived in 1919 at the ages of 22 & 23 respectively. Their census ages were 32 & 33. They had 3 children, Margaret 4 3/12, Joseph 2 3/12 and Paista 1 1/12. They lived on Twelfth St.
cabo

Post by cabo »

does anyone know where Elina is?? I cannot find it on google maps, or anywhere else??
cabo

Post by cabo »

or is it possible that "Elina" on passenger lists could actually be "Llena"....that is what i am guessing.
Michael

Re: Cabo Family

Post by Michael »

thank you very much, this information was very helpful.
blancopen

Riosa, Spain

Post by blancopen »

Michael---Frank Cabo,26y,married Florentino Fernandez,26,on Feb 27, 1915 in Harrison,County,WV. Frank's parents were Polonia Alvarez & Blas Cabo. Florentino's parents were Rosa Garcia & Manuel Fernandez.
Frank Cabo, (B) July 18,1888 in Spain, (D) March 19,1957,68y,in Clarksburg. Buried in Holy Cross Cemetery. His occupation, Dairyman, Dairy
Florentino Cabo (B) Feb 14, 1889 in Spain (D) Nov 24, 1942,53y. Buried in Clarksburg, WV
Michael

Post by Michael »

Ron Gonzalez wrote:Micheal,
Manuel Cabo has family who lives in Clarksburg, and I think a niece down south not sure were. Welcome to the forum we're not too far from each other.
Hi Ron, Its been a while. I was wondering If you may know the exact location of the Cabo farm. My brother David, who I believe was in contact with you had it narrowed down to somewhere near Ohio Ave and summit park. Sadly he died last year and I am trying to carry on finding the spot of the farm. Any help would be appreciated, I would also love to find the location of the Sunnyside Dairy. You may have been too young to remember it, it was in operation, I believe in the late 30s to the mid 40s. Thanks Ron. Mike Binegar

Return to “Asturian Songbook - Cancionero asturiano”