Comparison of Communities in WV vs Tampa

> Formal: construction, farming, manufacturing, mining, small businesses, smelting, etc. > Informal: blackberry picking, boarding houses, bootlegging, clothes washing, sausage making.<br>
> Formal: construcción, agricultura, fabricación, minería, pequeñas empresas, fundición, etc. > Informal: cosecha de moras, pensiones, contrabandista, colada, embutimiento.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, JuanLeon, Moderators

El Tampeno

Comparison of Communities in WV vs Tampa

Post by El Tampeno »

Thanks for sharing the interesting stories of the Asturianos in WV.
If I understand correctly, most of the immigrants in WV were from the
urban areas of Aviles, Gijon, Castrillon...ie the smelting areas. They immigrated to what was a very rural, small-town environment. Was this adjustment difficult? Also, I would assume that virtually no Spanish was spoken at the time of initial immigration...is this correct? Were the communities large enough and diverse enough (in terms of skills among
the Asturianos) for the community to be self-sufficient?

It appears that the Asturianos in Tampa sort of did the reverse....the vast
majority of them were from rural areas..aldeas...from virtually all areas
of Asturias, with some clusters from the areas around Infiesto, Pravia,
Luarca and Grado. They arrived at a time (mostly 1900-1930) when Tampa was rapidly becoming urbanized. By 1930 the city had 100,000
inhabitants, with approximately half being Spanish, Cuban or Sicilian immigrants and/or their children. By the time the Asturianos began to arrive Spanish was already being widely spoken, due to the earlier arrival of the Cubans, many of whom were themselves native Spaniards or children of
Spaniards, thus perhaps their transition was a bit easier. Also the weather.............with the exception of the high mountains West Virginia winters are much harsher. Of course our extremely hot and humid summers were difficult for the immigrants (no air conditioning until 1960's). Tampa has a sizeable populaton of Gallegos as well, along with
some islenos and vascos, but the vast majority were Asturianos. Were there Spaniards from other areas of Spain in WV?
Because the Asturiano population in Tampa was very large, and because there was a melding with the Cuban and Sicilian communities, the "Latin" areas of Tampa were essentially self-sufficient and until the post WWII period was physically and culturally distinct from the rest of the Tampa area.

Is the Asturiano influence in WV still apparent? If I were to travel to the areas today would I see any vestiges of their presence? Most descendants of our immigrants still live in the Tampa area, but the level of interest in their heritage varies widely...some are very involved while others have little or no interest.

-------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Gracias por compartir las interesantes historias de los asturianos en Virginia Occidental. Si he entendido bien la mayor parte de los inmigrantes en Virginia Occidental procedían de las áreas urbanas de Avilés, Gijón, Castrillón… es decir, de las zonas de fundición. Inmigraron a lo que era un entorno muy rural, a una pequeña ciudad. ¿Fue difícil su adaptación? También doy por supuesto que no se hablaba español en la época de la primera inmigración, ¿correcto? ¿Eran las comunidades de los asturianos lo suficientemente amplias y diversas (en términos de capacitación) para ser autosuficientes?

Parece que los asturianos en Tampa lo hicieron a la inversa… la gran mayoría procedían de zonas rurales, aldeas, de todas las partes de Asturias, con algunos grupos de la zona de Infiesto, Pravia, Luarca y Grado. Llegaron en una época (la mayoría entre 1900-1930) en la que Tampa estaba sometida a un rápido proceso de ubanización. En 1930 la ciudad tenía 100.000 habitantes, de los que aproximadamente la mitad eran españoles, cubanos (muchos españoles o hijos de españoles), por lo que su transición pudo ser más fácil. Asimismo ocurrió con la climatología… a excepción de las altas montañas de Virginia Occidental los inviernos son más duros. Por supuesto, el excesivo calor y los veranos húmedos fueron difíciles para los inmigrantes (el aire acondicionado apareció en los años 60). Tampa también tiene una población considerable de gallegos, junto con algunos isleños y vascos, pero la gran mayoría eran asturianos. ¿Había población de otros puntos de España en Virginia Occidental?

Debido a la amplia presencia de asturianos en Tampa, y dado que había una unión con las comunidades cubana y siciliana, las zonas “Latinas” eran autosuficientes, y hasta después de la Segunda Guerra Mundial fue un área física y culturalmente distinta al resto de Tampa.

¿Aún es evidente la influencia asturiana el Virginia Occidental? Si viajara a esas zonas, ¿vería, en la actualidad, vestigios de su presencia? La mayor parte de los descendientes de los inmigrantes de Tampa siguen viviendo aquí, pero su grado de interés por su herencia varía… algunos están muy involucrados, en tanto que otros tienen poco o ningún interés.

Post by Barbara Alonso Novellino »

My memory of Moundsville, West Virginia is from the late 30's early 40's. As I remember there was a Zinc Smelter where my Grandfather worked...the Smelter built homes near there and rented them to the workers. My Grandfather and Grandmother (Adelina and Adelino Montes) lived there. As I remember the homes were all rented by Spaniards who worked the Smelter. All the houses at the time were the same...Living Room, Kitchen, 2 Bedrooms and the bathroom was in the basement. The language there was Spanish...they shopped in a Spanish Grocery Store.

They closed the Smelter sometime after WWII I am not sure when because my Grandfather passed away in 1942 and my Grandmother came to New York to live with us. However, I still have family living there and I go there to visit whenever I can. The houses were then sold to the people who lived there, mostly Spaniards. The houses are still there but most of the Spaniards have since passed away...I think there are a few left.

My cousin Margaret Montes still lives in Moundsville and I am sure she can answer a lot of the questions you have. She is a member of this website...I am sure you can get in touch with her through the website.

Barbara Alonso Novellino

----------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Mis recuerdos de Moundsville (Virginia Occidental) se remontan a finales de los años 30 y principios de los 40. Por lo que recuerdo había una fundición, en la que trabajaba mi abuelo. La Fundición construía casas cerca y las alquilaba a sus trabajadores. Mi abuelo y mi abuela (Adelina y Adelino Montes) vivían allí. Todas las casas estaban alquiladas por españoles que trabajaban en la fundición, y todas eran iguales: salón, cocina, dos habitaciones y el baño estaba en el sótano. Se hablaba español y compraban en una tienda de ultramarinos española.

Cerraron la fundición poco después de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, no estoy segura de cuándo, porque mi abuelo falleció en 1942 y mi abuela vino a Nueva York a vivir con nosotros. Sin embargo, aún tengo familia allí y los visito siempre que puedo. Las casas se las vendieron a personas que vivían allí, pero la mayor parte de los españoles ya han fallecido… Creo que son pocos los que quedan.

Mi prima, Margaret Montes, sigue viviendo en Moundsville y estoy seguro de que ella puede darte respuesta a muchas de las preguntas que planteas. Es miembro del foro. Seguro que puedes contactar con ella a través del foro.

Barbara Alonso Novellino
lgarcia

Some knowledge of Clarksburg / Anmoore

Post by lgarcia »

Tony,
I know that your message was posted several years ago. But I want to comment that I grew-up in the Anmoore / Clarksburg area. I now live in Gainesville, Florida and frequently visit Tampa. In fact, this summer, I will be visiting Clarksburg for my high school reunion. If you have any photos that you would like me to take in the Clarksburg/ Anmoore area, then I'd be happy to oblige. Maybe you could introduce me and my family to some of the Asturian community in Tampa?

Linda Garcia

---------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Tony:

Sé que pusiste este mensaje hace algunos años, pero me gustaría comentarte que crecí en la zona de Anmoore y Clarksburg. Ahora vivo en Gainesville (Florida) y visito Tampa con frecuencia. Este verano acudiré a Clarksburg para la reunión de mi instituto. Si quieres que saque alguna fotografía de Clarksburg y Anmoore, estaré encantada de hacerlo. Quizás puedas presentarnos a mi familia y a mí a alguno de los miembros de la comunidad asturiana de Tampa.

Linda García
El Tampeno

Post by El Tampeno »

Hi Linda,

Just saw your message. Ironically I just returned from Spain last night...was there to celebrate my 60th (gulp!) birthday. Didn't go to Asturias this time, but rather southern Spain. Great time.

I would love to see photos of some of the Asturian sites in Anmoore/Clarksburg..thanks for your offer. Also, it would be a delight to show you around Tampa's old Asturiano/Gallego neighborhoods located in Ybor City and West Tampa. Most of the descendants have moved to the 'burbs and/or other parts of Tampa, but there are still places of interest. By the way, I went to U of Florida and graduated in 1970. We seem to have much in common and I would enjoy meeting you and your family.
My phone number is 727-821-8160 home/813-230-9390 cell.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Tony Carreno
Tony Carreno/Tampa Florida
lgarcia

Good timing!

Post by lgarcia »

Tony,

What great timing...to contact you around the time of your birthday and your trip to Spain!

I will be in contact with you after I return from Clarksburg. It will probably be in early September. Is there anything in particular that you would like to have photos of in Clarksburg area? I will bring some brochures. I haven't visited Asturias but what I can see is that it is amazingly similar to West Virginia. The entire time that I was growing-up, I recognized its beauty. I stayed there until age 25 but unfortunately due to lack of industry, I had to depart for better opportunities. Now my parents live in Ocala so that's wonderful! My father grew-up in Anmoore.

I have a cousin in Tampa - Olga Montoto (maiden name was Fernandez). Tampa is a BIG city but maybe you've met her.

And regarding Univ. of Florida - my husband does brain research there as a professor. Go orange & blue!

Looking forward to meeting you, sharing photos and stories!
Linda Garcia
Gainesville, FL

[/img][/code]
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Linda,
On your visit to Clarksburg I hope to meet you. If you let me know when you will be here we could meet for lunch. We had our Victory class reunion two years ago. It's a shame that all the old schools are gone.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Tony,

How did you like Spain? I was in Asturias last Sept. I loved it and am looking foward to my next trip. I looked for a connection in the Tamargo family, but there was none.
lgarcia

meeting in Clarksburg

Post by lgarcia »

Ron,
I would very much like to meet you for lunch. My visit is short...I can see that the best time would be Friday, July 11. We could either do breakfast or lunch somewhere near Clarksburg library. I'll be researching some news articles on microfiche so that would work great for me. If this is not convenient, then Saturday breakfast on July 12 would also work. I'll be staying in Bridgeport area so anywhere Clbg/ Bridgeport on Saturday would work for me.

Linda
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

El Tampeno wrote:... it would be a delight to show you around Tampa's old Asturiano/Gallego neighborhoods located in Ybor City and West Tampa. ...
Oh, Linda, be sure to accept this offer! Tony is a great tour guide!

And when you go to the Clarksburg area, Ron can give you a fine tour, too. Although I'm not sure how much there much to see now, besides Spelter. What do you think, Ron?
El Tampeno

Post by El Tampeno »

Linda, Ron, and Art:

Linda,
Thanks for your swift reply. I am looking forward to your visit to Tampa and meeting you and your family. Contact me whenever you wish...I now live in St. Petersburg (right across the Bay, but spend alot of time in Tampa since I am now on the Board of Directors of the Ybor City State Museum Society). As far as what types of photos I would enjoy...basically anything that would help me understand what the daily lives of the Asturiano immigrants were like..where they lived, worked and played. Any clubhouses, grocery stores etc. Cemeteries are of interest to me because they often present a good time-line of immigration and a snapshot of "ethnic clustering" within a given community. The interaction of various ethnic groups is of interest to me, and it seems that Anmoore was considerably multi-ethnic. Anyway, just use your judgement...I'm sure it will all be of interest to me.
About your cousin Olga Fernandez Montoto....can't say that I recall meeting or knowing her. Fernandez (along with Garcia) is the most common last name in Tampa, even more than Smith!! However, I may know of her or her family. The man who used to deliver our locally ground Cuban/Spanish coffee was of surname Montoto, but I cannot recall his first name. This was years ago...my dad also had several friends named Montoto. Part of the problem is that practically ALL of the Spanish, Cuban and Sicilian guys in Tampa had nick-names. A list was just compiled by some of the old-timers, and it included over 800 guys (and a few women) with nick-names!! However, one of the amazing things about Tampa is that even though it is a large city and the immigrants numbered in the many thousands, almost everyone within the communities knew each other directly or once-removed from knowing each other directly. Tampa ("old" Tampa) has been described as the "Largest small town in the country".

Ron,
Good to hear from you. Spain was wonderful, even though didn't go to Asturias this time. Went to Granada for the first time...La Alhambra just amazing!! Also went to Extremadura (southwest of Madrid, towrd Portugal).
That was most interesting, especially because it is the least "visited" part of Spain and is very pristine. I am still amazed at the differences between our Asturias (and Galicia) and the rest of the peninsula. They are 2 distinct worlds and are each beautiful in their own way. Hope you are well and that we see each other very soon. Please say hi to Suronda.

Art,
Thinking of you and Bob during this "San Patricio" time of year. What fun we had in NY last year, despite the freak blizzard! Unbelievable coincidence....after checking in for my return flight from Madrid last Wednesday, I noticed in the waiting area lots of "kids" with blue jackets emblazoned with "Banda de Gaites de Corvera d'Asturies"...sure enough the band was on the same flight as I. I found Bras and we had a good chat...expressed my regret that I was not able to get through to the Centro Asturiano de Tampa. He was most amicable and assured me that he understands the challenges involved. Any way, apparently they will be interviewed on CNN Monday morning around 10AM. BYW, thanks for your compliment about my tour-guide abilities...my real problem is knowing when to shut-up!!

Good hearing from all of you!!

Tony
Tony Carreno/Tampa Florida

Return to “Work & Industry - Trabajo e industria”