Joe "Mike" Alvarez, Spelter Merchant

> Formal: construction, farming, manufacturing, mining, small businesses, smelting, etc. > Informal: blackberry picking, boarding houses, bootlegging, clothes washing, sausage making.<br>
> Formal: construcción, agricultura, fabricación, minería, pequeñas empresas, fundición, etc. > Informal: cosecha de moras, pensiones, contrabandista, colada, embutimiento.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, JuanLeon, Moderators

geaniegirl

Hickmans

Post by geaniegirl »

My father and brother Bob still talk about Spelter. I remember very little about my grandparents Fred & Dora. I do however remember their house. It is really nice to find relatives. I like reading stories about my parents hometown. My brother Bob said he would like to go back down to Spelter. Maybe some day we will go.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Trans. ana

Mi padre y mi hermano Bob aún hablan de Spelter. Apenas recuerdo nada de mis abuelos Fred y Dora. Sin embargo sí recuerdo su casa. Es agradable encontrar familiares. Me gusta leer anécdotas sobre el pueblo de mis padres. A mi hermano Bob le gustaría volver a Spelter. Quizás vayamos algún día.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Your uncle Richard has kids who still live in Spelter. I knew your grandparents. I worked with Fred. I also know Roy and Cesar. Your dad was older than me, but I do know your uncle Richard.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Tu tío Richard tiene hijos que aún viven en Spelter. Conocí a tus abuelos. Trabajé con Fred. También conozco a Roy y Cesar. Tu padre era mayor que yo, pero conozco a tu tío Richard.
Ken Menendez

Post by Ken Menendez »

geaniegirl,

send me your e-mail address and I will forward a picture of your grandfather and one of his neighbors, Mutt Phillips, taken at the old zinc plant.

Also, I have lots of genealogy information on the Hickman's going back to the early 1700 in Maryland if you are interest. Your dad, Fred, is my second cousin, and he may know several of our family members. Most came out of Quiet Dell and Mt Clare, near Clarksburg, and later the North View section of Clarksburg.

If you are speaking with your dad tell him I said hello. In case he has forgot me, tell him my mother was Katherine (Katy), Viola's daughter.

Ken

-------------------------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana

Geaniegirl:

Envíame tu dirección de mail y te mandaré un fotografía de tu abuelo y uno de sus vecinos, Mutt Phillips, que les sacaron en la fábrica de zinc.

Si te interesa, también tengo muchísima información genealógica de los Hickman (hasta principios de 1700 en Maryland). Tu padre Fred es primo segundo mío y puede que conozca a varios miembros de mi familia. La mayoría eran de Quite Dell y Mt. Clare, cerca de Clarksburg, que después se trasladaron al área de North View.

Si hablas con tu padre dile que le envío un saludo. Si no se acuerda de mí, dile que soy el hijo de Kathelrine (Katy), la hija de Viola.

Ken

[ Ken, We've edited your email address to stop spambots from harvesting it. If you send private emails through the forum, you will not expose your emails address to the spammers.

To send an email, just use the "email" button below Ken's message.
Bob & Art ]
geaniegirl

HICKMAN

Post by geaniegirl »

Ken,

My email address is XXXXXXXXXX. My name is Paula Hickman Castner.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana

Ken:

Mi dirección es xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Me llamo Paula Hickman Castner.
----------------------------------------------

Paula, we removed your email address from the public forum to prevent spambots from harvesting it and flooding you with unwanted ads. I forwarded a copy of your address to Ken via private email.

If you communicate sensitive data to other members via the email button in the pos rather than posting it openly in the forum, you will not expose your email address to the dreaded spambots.

The university where I work has not been diligent about spam prevention, and as a result I get about three times as much spam as legitimate email on that address.

Bob
mdmenendez

Post by mdmenendez »

Rose Rosal wrote:My Grandfather, Jose Rosal emigrated to Ziesing, WV from San Cristobal, Oviedo in 1909 and worked in zinc as a "furnace man" (his words). He learned to be a barber in the Recreational Hall and later opened his own barber shop in NYC. My Father (Joseph) and Uncle (Angel) were born in 1913 & 1916 in Meadowbrook. I am not sure when the family left WV, but it was sometime after 1925.
[This message is actually from my Aunt, Anita Menendez. She's experiencing computer problems, so we're replying through my account]

"It's truly a small world, I remember Rosa and her husband. When I was ten, your Uncle Angel (who I believed we called Cacoon) and my cousin from New York visited my family here in West Virginia. (There was a very close friendship.) Now just before your Grandmother Rosa passed away, she sent my mother a very nice studio photo of herself. I believe she knew that she had a terminal illness at the time, and when she passed away my mother went to New York for her funeral. I have other pictures of Angel and I would be pleased to send them to you if you give me your mailing address." ~Anita Menendez

[Hopefully I got all of that right without screwing up too much]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
My Grandfather, Jose Rosal emigrated to Ziesing, WV from San Cristobal, Oviedo in 1909 and worked in zinc as a "furnace man" (his words). He learned to be a barber in the Recreational Hall and later opened his own barber shop in NYC. My Father (Joseph) and Uncle (Angel) were born in 1913 & 1916 in Meadowbrook. I am not sure when the family left WV, but it was sometime after 1925.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana

Mi abuelo, Jose Rosal, emigró a Ziesing (VO) desde San Cristóbal en 1909 y trabajó como calderero. Aprendió el oficio de barbero en el Recreational Hall, después de lo cual aprió su propia barbería en NYC. Mi padre (Joseph) y mi tío (Ángel) nacieron en 1913 y 1916 respectivamente en Meadowbrook. No estoy segura de cuándo la familia salió de VO, pero fue en algún momento después de 1925.
[Este mensaje es de mi tía Anita Menendez. Tiene problemas con el ordenador, así que contestamos a través de mi cuenta]

“Ciertamente el mundo es pequeño. Recuerdo a Rosa y su marido. Cuando tenía 10 años, tu tío Angel (a quien creo que llamábamos Cacoon) y mi primo de Nueva York nos visitaron en Virginia Occidental. (Existía una estrecha amistad). Justo antes de que tu abuela Rosa falleciera le envío a mi madre una preciosa foto de estudio. Creo que ya por entonces sabía que padecía una enfermedad terminal, y cuando falleció mi madre acudió a su funeral en NY. Tengo otras fotografías de Angel y estaría encantada de enviártelas si me facilitas tu dirección”. Anita Menendez

[Espero haberlo hecho todo bien sin dar demasiada guerra]
"You can pretend to be serious, you can't pretend to be witty." --Sacha Guitry
Rose Rosal

Post by Rose Rosal »

My Grandfather, Jose Rosal emigrated to Spelter from San Cristobal. He married Rosa Diaz and they had two sons, Angel and Jose, Jr. The family went back and forth to Cuba several times --- they visited Rosa's brother Manuel. I lost track of them after 1922 when they returned from a visit to Cuba. I know that my father, Jose, Jr. went to high school in Weirton so they left Spelter at some point. The family ended up in NYC where my Grandfather opened a barber shop in Greenwich Village.
Brandi

Post by Brandi »

I have just come across some information on my great grandfather. His name was Luis Suarez Gutierrez (may have gone by Ardino Suarez) he lived in Meadowbrook, WV from 1917 thru atleast 1920 . he came from asturias, oviedo spain. In 1920 he had sent enough money for my grandmother Primitiva Suarez Lopez to come and join him in Meadowbrook. She came from Magdalena, Oviedo Spain. My greatgrandfather was a furnace man for Grasselli Chemical Co. If anyone has any information on them it would be greatly appreciated. I have been searching for any info.
------------------------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana

Acabo de encontrarme esta información sobre mi abuelo. Se llamaba Luis Suarez Gutierrez (puede que se le conociera como Ardino Suarez) y vivió en Meadowbrook (VO) desde 1917 hasta, por lo menos, 1920. Era oriundo de Asturias, Oviedo, España. En 1920 envió el dinero suficiente para que mi abuela, Primitiva Suarez Lopez, se le uniera en Meadowbrook. Ella era de la Magdalena, Oviedo, España. Mi bisabuelo trabajó como calderero en Grasselli Chemical Co. Si alguien dispone de información sobre ellos le agradecería la compartiera conmigo.
Donna Alvarez

Alvarez Store:

Post by Donna Alvarez »

Boy, I just reread these tributes to my grandfather's store and really enjoyed them. I do remember Fred Hickman (my Uncle Fred) and many of those spoken of. I hung around the store during the summers that I spent with my aunts, Ruth Jean (Book)and Kate (Menendez), Ken's mom - and, of course, my abuelito Joe who provided me with an endless supply of Double Bubble chewing gum.
I think the pool hall was still in use into the very early '60s because I was there then. When the pool hall was closed the old pool table with the brass pockets ended up in our home in Ohio. As yet I have to scan an old picture of the store I think we all hung out at. LOL I promise to do that soon. I have been ill but improving. Thanks to everyone, especially Ken and Ron, for you posts.

PS: Been sick. As of April 3, 2010 I have not set up my scanner, but I found some pics.
----------------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana

¡Vaya! Acabo de releer estos homenajes a la tienda de mi abuelo y de verdad que los he disfrutado. Recuerdo a Fred Hickman (mi tío Fred) y a muchos otros que mencionáis. Pasé mucho tiempo en la tienda durante los veranos que pasé con mis tías, Ruth Jean (Book) y Kate (Menendez), la madre de Ken y, por supuesto, con mi abuelito Joe, quien me daba todo el chicle Double Bublle del mundo. Creo que los billares funcionaron hasta principio de los 60. Cuando cerraron, la vieja mesa de billar con troneras de latón terminó en nuestra casa en Ohio. Aún tengo que escanear una vieja fotografía de la tienda donde todos holgazaneábamos. LOL. Prometo que lo haré pronto. He estado enferma, pero ya estoy recuperándome. Gracias a todos, en especial a Den y Ron, por vuestros mensajes.
Last edited by Donna Alvarez on Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brkfasclub

Jo Alvarez

Post by brkfasclub »

Thank you so much Kenny for posting this info about great grandpa Jo. I started crying when I read this. It's ironic that I've been asking for years about our family history and it turns out all it took was a little googling. Unfortunately my mom...Lisa hasn't been the greatest historian...and I cried in joy to be able to read the history of our relatives. I felt like things finally made sense and I knew who I was and I could learn more. I like the picture you posted of great grandpa Jo when he is older...he looks just like my grandpa DA...or DA looks like him...but it was nice to feel like I have finally been getting answers. So, thanks, it's nice to hear such great stories about Spelter!

-----------------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana
Muchísimas gracias por compartir esta información sobre tu bisabuelo Jo. Lloré mientras lo leía. Resulta irónico que durante años haya indagado sobre la historia de nuestra familia y resulte que sólo hiciera falta “googlear” un poco. Desgraciadamente, mi madre.... Lisa no ha sido la mejor historiadora... y he llorado de alegría por poder leer la historia de nuestra familia. Siento que todo tiene sentido y sé quién soy y que puedo saber más. Me gusta la fotografía del bisabuelo Jo de mayor. Es igualito a mi abuelo DA... o DA se le parece... pero ha sido bonito obtener respuestas por fin. Así que gracias. ¡Es estupendo oir tantas historias fenomenales sobre Spelter!
Donna Alvarez

Post by Donna Alvarez »

Hi Sam - well, welcome aboard. Found your way to Asturias, did you? You can practice your Spanish here. Maybe give our interpreters some R & R. :) Well deserved R & R, might I add, hermanos y hermanas!!!

Sam is my niece who got her Masters at Columbia University not very long ago and is working for the state of Ohio in Columbus. Looking for her identity. Shall we tell her she's an Asturian?? Proudly.... :D

PS: From now on, I have a nickname for you Sam. I will call you 'Maria'!! LOL I know it's not original but thru' all your effort and your search - you deserve it. Blessings....
-------------------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana

Hola Sam:

Bueno, bienvenida a bordo. Ya has encontrado tu camino a Asturias, ¿no es así? Aquí puedes practicar tu español. Quizá podamos dar a nuestros intérpretes un poco de respiro y tranquilidad :-D ¡¡¡Un más que merecido respiro y tranquilidad, hermanos y hermanas!!!

Sam es mi sobrina, la que terminó el master en la Universidad de Columbia hace poco y trabaja para el estado de Ohio en Columbus. Está buscando su identidad. ¿Deberíamos decirle que es asturiana? Con mucho orgullo...:-D

P.D.: A partir de ahora tengo un mote para tí, Sam. Te llamaré “María!! LOL. Ya sé que no es nada original, pero después de todo tu esfuerzo y tus pesquisas, te lo mereces. Mis bendiciones para tí...

Return to “Work & Industry - Trabajo e industria”