Spanish Citizenship for Puerto Ricans?

Asturian cultural identity, Spanish nationality, & return to Asturias: legal, social, & personal aspects.<br>
Identidad cultural asturiana, nacionalidad española, y regreso a Asturias: cuestiones legales, sociales, y personales.

Moderator: Moderators

yaritza

Spanish Citizenship for Puerto Ricans?

Post by yaritza »

Hello. Im not sure if this is the right place to ask but anywho -

My fathers grandfather is from the Asturian region, and my mothers side is from Catalonia. I believe both went to Puerto Rico is the mid & late-1800's.
Unfortunately my parents never kept any sort of their papers - and they dont really remember any (first) names of past family members anymore (and I believe they embrace their 'puerto rican' culture more so then their Spanish roots, unfortunately)

Anywho, can someone point me in the right direction as to how I can (and if I can) prove my Spanish ancestry for citizenship? My mother used to tell me that I wouldnt be able to track anything before the 1930's through PR records, but that was when I was younger and perhaps she was bluffing?

Thank you in advance.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I think that for events earler than 1931 you have to write to the local government, not the central one. In any event, here's a link that may help.

http://www.vitalrec.com/pr.html

Return to “Identity, Nation, Return - Identidad, país, vuelta”