Beans with Clams - Fabes con Almejas

Dry bean dishes, one-pot meals, etc.<br>
Platos de judias secas, comidas en una olla, etc.

Moderators: almudena, Moderators

Bob

Post by Bob »

1 pound fabes (or other large white beans (not limas)
1.5 pounds very small clams (I like mahogany clams)
1 large pinch saffron
3 bay leaves
1 sprig parsley, finely chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 medium onions, whole
olive oil
salt and pepper as desired

Soak the beans in water for 24 hours. Drain the beans and cover with fresh water. Briefly saute the chopped onion in a little olive oil. Add a finely chopped clove of garlic is you like. Add the beans and water to the pan. Bring to a boil and simmer (I like to add a little white wine) with the bay leaf, saffron (lightly toasted, crushed, and covered with a little water), and whole onions until nearly done. Add more water if needed to keep the beans covered.

Wash the clams in cool running water to remove sand and grit. When the beans are done (remove from heat and gently blow on them - the skins will split, and they will be tender but not mushy), add the clams and continue to heat until they all open, discarding any that do not open. Add salt and pepper as desired, and sprinkle with chopped parsley.

Serve with crusty bread, and a dry white wine or hard cider.
ayalgueru

Post by ayalgueru »

I have always wondered why something that does not seem to belong together on the same dish ( beans and clams ) can . however , go together so extremely well !

I ,too, love fabes con amasueles ( beans and clams )
splish-splash
the cat washes in the river...
spring rain
Isaa Kobayashi (1816)
Bob

Post by Bob »

Yes, some things do not seem to go together, but the recipe survived because our ancestors tried it - perhaps of out desperation - and found that it was good. I have a picture of my father eating this dish in Xixón (Gijón) in a small restaurant in Cimadevilla, with a very happy expression on his face.

We are having our kitchen remodeled, but once it is done, this is one of the first dishes I want to cook.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I have successfully used small American hardshell clams, Manila clams, mahogany clams, and New Zealand cockles (we have a good fish market that flies them in twice a week - less than 48 hours from beach to table) - they are smaller and sweeter than most clams.

Return to “Stews & Fabada - Estofados y fabada”