A question of (great)-grandchildren claiming citizenship

Asturian cultural identity, Spanish nationality, & return to Asturias: legal, social, & personal aspects.<br>
Identidad cultural asturiana, nacionalidad española, y regreso a Asturias: cuestiones legales, sociales, y personales.

Moderator: Moderators

nieta

A question of (great)-grandchildren claiming citizenship

Post by nieta »

Hola! My Spanish is quite rusty, so I'm going to rely on English for this posting ;)

I was born in the US, as was my mother and her parents, but her parents were both of %100 Spanish ancestry. Her mother's mother (here we go!) was born in the US & her father in Asturias, while my mother's father's mother was born in the US (we think) & his father in Gijon, Spain. So both my mother's parents are of Spanish blood, but her father's father is the one most easily traced back to having been born in Spain.

My mother is 58 & her father, now deceased, was born in the US in 1920. We are fairly sure that at this time his father was not yet a US citizen (he'd stopped over in Cuba & studied the cigar trade for a few years while emigrating) which based on my research would designated my mother's father (my grandfather) as a, quote, 'original Spaniard.'

So far the only information I have is the 'petition numbers' listed for my mother's father's parents' applications for US naturalization- dated 1938 & 1939. We are unsure why my great-grandmother had to apply, because we had always thought she was born in Philadelphia.

I'm sorry if this is terribly confusing! Basically, I lived in Spain for several months (I'm 22) and would truly love to return there to live & work. Some of my research indicates that according to fairly new Spanish legislation, I could 'reclaim' citizenship after a one-year residency (during which there would be no work restrictions?)

However, it's obviously quite difficult to find clear information on this topic! At the very least I am *hoping* that my mother (as the grandchild of a man born in Spain) could claim her citizenship, and I could possibly do so afterwards if she were approved?

I would really appreciate any information in response.. I know that I am offering nothing in return, I'm sorry! I also know that it's quite possible my bubble could be burst.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this! I've been watching this forum for awhile & appreciated all of the helpful & educated advice that's been given... just thought I'd give this a shot. Please let me know if anything needs clarification- I know it's impossibly confusing!

-Elyse Elvira
Last edited by nieta on Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Smith Fernandez

Post by Eric Smith Fernandez »

I would probably edit your post. The administrators don't want spammers getting hold of your email address and sending you tons of junk.

After a # of posts you can email people through the forum. I'm not sure whatthe quota is on posts, you might want to ask Art.

Welcome to the forum,

Bienvenido al foro,

Eric
Soy un estudiante. Quiero estar seguro de que estoy escribiendo bien Si alguien se da cuenta de los errores gramaticales míos en los mensajes ¿Me puede avisar?
nieta

Post by nieta »

thanks for the heads-up, I'm very new to this..
Eric Smith Fernandez

No problem, You might want to go to the introduction link and introduce yourself. You might find a relative or someone who could help you with finding relatives or documents like birth, death, and marriage certificates.

Nice meeting you,

Mucho gusto y ¡Puxa Asturies!

Eric
Soy un estudiante. Quiero estar seguro de que estoy escribiendo bien Si alguien se da cuenta de los errores gramaticales míos en los mensajes ¿Me puede avisar?
Bob

Post by Bob »

Nieta, you may be interested in this link (entirely in Spanish) about recovering Spanish citizenship. As I understand it, the new law was passed an duly published in December of 2007, but must await the writing of associated regulations to take effect.

http://groups.msn.com/nietosporlaciudadania
Last edited by Bob on Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nieta

Post by nieta »

as I mentioned my Spanish leaves a little to be desired, but I'll give it a try.. thank you :)
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks, Eric, for the tip on email addresses. Watch out, you might get asked to join the moderators!

-------------------

Gracias, Eric, por el consejo sobre direcciones de correos electrónicos. ¡Tenga cuidado, podemos pedir que te juntes a los moderadores!
Eric Smith Fernandez

Cuando mejoraré mi castellano, me gustaría ayudaros más.

-------------------------------------

When my Spanish gets better I would like to help out more.

Return to “Identity, Nation, Return - Identidad, país, vuelta”