Sol y Sombra o Sombra y Sol

Serving cider & wine with Asturian meals. Making cider & other beverages.<br>
Servir sidra y vino con comidas asturianas. Hacer sidra y otra bebidas.

Moderators: almudena, Moderators

Eric Smith Fernandez

Sol y Sombra o Sombra y Sol

Post by Eric Smith Fernandez »

When I was in Asturias visiting with my cousins, we had this drink every night after dinner. I think it is just coffee and cognac. Is it very popular in Asturias?

---------------------------------------------

Cuando estaba yo en Asturies visitando con mis primos, tomemos esta bebida todas las noches después de la cena. Creo que es café y coñac. ¿Es muy popular en Asturies?
Soy un estudiante. Quiero estar seguro de que estoy escribiendo bien Si alguien se da cuenta de los errores gramaticales míos en los mensajes ¿Me puede avisar?
Mafalda

Post by Mafalda »

El "sol y sombra" es coñac y anìs a partes iguales, servido en copa de balòn, como el coñac, se toma con el café, en la sobremesa, o mientras se juega la partida de "dominò", "tute" o "mus".
"Comienza tu día con una sonrisa, verás lo divertido que es ir por ahí desentonando con todo el mundo."
Mi amiguita Libertad ________Image
Bob

Post by Bob »

Ah, memories. "Sol y sombra" is what my grandfather always insisted I have to drink when I visited him, even at 9:00 in the morning. Yes, equal parts coñac y anìs, but he always demanded good coñac, and I was his major supplier of this. His favorite was Fundador, made from sherry grapes.
granda

Post by granda »

hi Bob, Fundador is not cognac.
Cognac is the stuff you get from France, and produced in the Cognac area. The Spanish version is called Brandy. It is basically the same product but with a different name. (like Champagne and cava)
Bob

Post by Bob »

I'm sure you're right, but he called it coñac none the less.
granda

Post by granda »

The French have been always very good at Marketing :D
Eric Smith Fernandez

So it is equal parts coñac and anis combined with coffee? Or is it just Coñac and anis with nothing else?

-------------------------------

¿Es igual partes de coñac y anis combinado con café? ¿O es Coñac y anis sin nada mas?
Soy un estudiante. Quiero estar seguro de que estoy escribiendo bien Si alguien se da cuenta de los errores gramaticales míos en los mensajes ¿Me puede avisar?
Bob

Post by Bob »

The way my grandfather did it, no coffee at all.
Bob

Post by Bob »

What my grandfather actually called this drink suddenly popped into my head (we release the memory hounds and they eventually bring back what we ask for, usually at random times, and over a quarter century is a long time to remember). I never remember him calling it anything other than "caña y anís."

This is what he offered to you no matter what time of day you visited him, and he was deeply insulted if the offer was refused. This was the source of more than a few early morning buzzes for me.

In any event, he loved it (especially when made with Fundador - I introduced him to this brand of Spanish brandy), and always had one or two with whomever was visiting.
Eric Smith Fernandez

Can I use Ouzo? Anis liquor like they have in Spain is really expensive and hard to find. If you have any brand suggestions, let me know.
Bob

Post by Bob »

In the end, it's like making chorizos. You suit your own taste. Personally, I use an inexpensive domestic anís, which is what my grandfather did. It may not be the most authentic, but it is still good. I tend to use somewhat less anís than brandy. Ouzo would be a fine substitute, although perhaps a little prodigal. To me, the best use of ouzo is to add a splash of water, watch it turn milky, and drink it as it is.
Mafalda

Post by Mafalda »

El sol y sombra se toma "con" el café, pero el café en su taza y los licores en su copa.

Para algunos "barmans", tambien tiene su ritual el hecho de servirlo, se sirve primero el anis, suavemente en la copa inclinando esta un poquito, y con la botella muy cerca del borde, para que el liquido no se airee, luego se sirve el coñac, colocando la botella algo mas alta, para contemplar el efecto al mezclarse ambos liquidos, el claro y el oscuro. Finalmente, se coge la copa entre el dedo meñique y el anular para darle un poquito de calor y se hace girar el liquido con un leve movimiento de muñeca.
"Comienza tu día con una sonrisa, verás lo divertido que es ir por ahí desentonando con todo el mundo."
Mi amiguita Libertad ________Image
granda

Post by granda »

Can I use Ouzo? Anis liquor like they have in Spain is really expensive and hard to find. If you have any brand suggestions, let me know
Erik, I feel you can use ouzo or any drink based in anis: ouzo, raki, arrak. or even pastis (pernod)Although for sure the recipes vary slightly from country to country the basics never do. Just check that the alcohol percentage is 40 pc (pure anis) and not liquor of anis (25pc)

In Asturias the most famous anis is from the brand Anis de la Asturiana. In Spain you should be paying around 6-7 euros per bottle.

Puedo usar Ouzo? Anis como el que tienen en Espana es muy caro y dificil de encontrar. Hacerme saber que marca puedo usar
Erik, yo creo que puedes usar ouzo or cualquier otra bebida basada en anis: ouzo, raki, arrak e incluso pastis (Pernod) Aunque de seguro las recetas son diferentes, la base es la misma. Solo comprueba que la graduacion alcoholica es 40, (anis puro) y no licor de anis (25)

En Asturias el anis mas famoso es el Anis de la Asturiana, tu deberiasde pagar entre 6-7 euros por una botella
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Post by Barbara Alonso Novellino »

My father introduced my Husband to Spanish Brandy and Cognac.

They would enjoy:

Carlos Mendoza Cognac
Carlos Primero Cognac
Phillipe Segundo Cognac

Fundador Brandy

I am not too sure of the spelling of these. My Dad has been gone 20 years...but my Husband remembers these names as if it were yesterday. They would sit in the Dining Room after a good dinner, sip this out of their snifters and talk politics, family, etc. Oh I wish I could have these days back...they were sweet days gone by.

Barbara
Bob

Post by Bob »

My favorite of all - Cardenal Mendoza. Tres Cepas is good for cooking, and relatively inexpensive.

One of our local Spanish restaurants had a freebie brandy sampler a few years ago (for good customers) - six different brandies. That was fun.

One of my father's friends was a very elderly Armenian who made is own raki in an illegal copper still in his basement. It was strong enough to take the enamel off your teeth, but quite tasty if diluted. I think I still have a small bottle somewhere (from about 30 years ago, and will have to look for it.

The old Armenian was quite a colorful character. He and his wife lost all of their children in the Armenian massacre at the hands of the Turks, then came to the EEUU. Once, in his early 80s, he was attacked by a large dog. He grabbed it by the throat and carried it to its owner. All he said, as he dropped the half-strangled dog on the porch, was "you dog try bite again, I kill him."

That's a story that reminds me of my Asturian roots. When my grandfather was about 80 a car went out of control and veered into his porch, making quite a racket and doing major damage. He was outside in a flash, armed with a razor sharp kitchen knife, ready to defend his home at all costs. These were people who took care of themselves and their own. No matter what the cost. As much as I favor the rule of law, I can't help thinking that we have lost something of value.
Last edited by Bob on Sat May 31, 2008 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Drinks, Cider - Bebidas, sidra”