American desiring to move to Spain

Asturian cultural identity, Spanish nationality, & return to Asturias: legal, social, & personal aspects.<br>
Identidad cultural asturiana, nacionalidad española, y regreso a Asturias: cuestiones legales, sociales, y personales.

Moderator: Moderators

Cocolema

American desiring to move to Spain

Post by Cocolema »

Hi everyone!!!

Though I nor my ancestors were from Asturia. I share the same goals as many of those here, namely to return. It's amazing how difficult it is to find information on the subject of immigration from the US and of citizenship.

My story? I was born at Torrejon AFB of an American father and a Spanish mother, who was born in Ceuta and grew up in Madrid. Both my grandfather and grandmother are Spanish by birth.

I guess my question is: Am I a citizen by virtue of birth? I've read the applicable legal code and my interpretation is that I come under the category of "de origen". But what does that mean? Do I have to establish residency or can I go to the embassy, present my papers and recieve my passport (after a reasonable period has passed)?

I've tried contacted legal counsel in Spain, but the results have been disappointing. Does anyone know of a decent lawyer in Spain? I'd really like to get these questions answered so I can plan my move to Spain.

Well, anyways that's my story. I'll be lurking here quite a bit, but I'll be quiet.

Cosby
Bob

Post by Bob »

Cocolema

Post by Cocolema »

Thank you Bob, I've done both. BTW, does anyone have a list of the forms that have to be filled out and the documents required in order to claim your nationality?

Cosby
Bob

Post by Bob »

Because the regulations to implement the new law have not yet been written (but are expected by December 2008), there probably are no forms, although you coud get a head start on getting birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc. Based on comments by others, many consuoates are not even yet aware that the law has changed.
Manuel A Gonzalez

Post by Manuel A Gonzalez »

Hi All

I have applied twice. You need to get the form from the nearest Spanish Consulate. You must request the form in writing. I sent it in the first time in December and the Consulate in NYC can't find it. I have resubmitted and I am awaiting a reply. My 4 grandparents were born in Spain (3 Asturias, 1 Galicia) and my father was born in Taborneda. My mother was born in West Virginia in Ida Mae, but raised in Spain and she was married in Spain. The person I have been speaking with at the Consulate has been very vague if I qualify or not for citizenship. Under the old law if your father was born in Spain and he was Spanish at your birth you would qualify..mothers don't count. The new law says I would qualify....As soon as I hear I'll share my information....it's been 7 months!!!
Manuel Gonzalez Lopez
From Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
mother from Naveces (near airport in Asturias)
father from Taborneda (above Aviles)
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks for the update, Manuel. It sounds like you have a very strong case!

Which law are they using in your case?

Keep us informed.

----------------------

Gracias por ponernos al día. ¡Parece que tu caso sea muy fuerte!

¿Cuál ley están aplicando a tu caso?

Dinos cuando tienes noticias.

Return to “Identity, Nation, Return - Identidad, país, vuelta”