Marie Smith, last speaker of Eyak... future of Asturianu

Vocabulary & grammar of Asturian & Bable, comparisons with Castilian.<br>
Vocabulario y gramática de asturianu y bable, comparaciones con castellano

Moderator: Moderators

is

Post by is »

Llames wrote: I understand Paul's asturian and Mofusu's asturian, despite that my own asturian is a mixture of Central Asturian and "Academic" Asturian. The difference between dialects of Asturian is just the same as you can hear between New York's english and London's english.

----

Entiendo l'asturianu de Paul y el de Mofusu, magar el mi asturianu ye una amestadura de l'asturianu central y el de la Academia de la Llingua. La diferencia ente los dialectos de l'asturianu ye la mesma que la que pué haber ente el inglés de Nueva York y el de Londrés.
Interesting comments from all of you in this thread. Art is right that people in Xixon (Gijon, pronounced Hee-HOWN in Castilian Spanish) often react quizzically to my Asturian. Its a mix of altitude sickness (you jeopardize a person's social status if you speak to them in Asturian), but also of sheer ignorance.

Friends from my master's swim team at the Club Santolaya (Santa Olaya; again, we are constantly putting things in parenthesis to make sure people understand) in Xixon never knew how to 'place me'. Some bluffed with me, labeling me as a Galician. OK, except that most West Asturians speak the way I do...

Only one woman from County Ibias knew where I came from and we used to chat between heats in West Asturian. She's originally from Valdeferreiros, at the westernmost point of Ibias, and their dialect is very close to the Galician spoken in Lugo. It was fun because we had so many words in common. They say 'uz' for heather, as we do in Ayande (Allande).

However, as Llames points out, the differences between Asturian dialects are not that abysmal. Only if your are predisposed to not understand another dialect for schooling or ideological reasons, will you declare that it is incomprehensible to you, i.e., you do not want to understand.

Admittedly, Art, West Asturian sounds odd to people in Aviles-Xixon-Uvieu, mainly because of our 'ts' sound. But it's not like we're speaking Belarussian. Like Llames says, if I'm from Queens visiting the West End of London, I don't give up trying to understand. It's hard, but I just need to hone my ear.

Doable or not, we all hope Art is doing better. His Asturiania classes up in Llangreu (Langreo) this August took a toll on him and he was a little 'fastidiau' for schlepping books all the way back to Maryland. As the Russians would say, Art, dozdorovites! They would also suggest a session of banya with someone to hit you with birch branches.

But I leave that explanation for a different post...

----

Abondo interesantes los comentarios d’esti filu. Art seique tien razon cuando diz que la xente de Xixon (Gijon) nun sabe que fader col miou asturianu. Ia una reaccion qu’amiesta el ‘noxu d’altura’ (si falas a una persona n’asturianu paez que tas cuestionando la sua posicion social) cona inorancia.

Tengo xente conocio nel equipo masters de natacion del Club Santolaya (Santa Olaya: paez que siempre hai que ponelo en parentesis pa que la xente lu entienda, mesmo si nel club naide nun diz ‘Santa Olaya’) que nun sabe bien au clasificame. Sedra d’aldea esti rapaz? Sedra d’oucidente, tierra que naide nun conoz? Sedra americanu de familia probe? El casu ia que siempre hai dalgun que me chama gal.legu…

Numai una muyer del concello d’Ibias sabia au l.lantame ya charrabamos na piscina n’asturianu oucidental. El.la ia de Valdeferreiros, no punto mas oucidental d’Ibias, ya la fala d’el.los ia la mesma que falan na l.linde con Lugo. Prestabame, porque teniamos palabras en comun. El.los dicen ‘uz’, cumo nos n’Ayande (Allande).

Sicasi, cumo diz Llames, peimeque los dialectos del asturianu nun son tan estremaos que la xente nun s’entiende de val.le a val.le. Eso ia un mitu pa tratar a outros de foriatos. Si anguanu una persona pola sua escolarizacion ou por mor d’ideoloxia gusta-y decir que nun t’endiende, al miou paecer ia que nun quier entendete.

Si ho, Art, l’asturianu oucidental suena-ys raro a los d’Aviles-Xixon-Uvieu pol soniu de la ‘l.l’, ou ‘che’ vaqueira. Pero nun tamos tampouco falando en bielorrusu. Si you sou de Bustantigo ya vou pa Tarna, igual tengo que poner la oreya, pero entenderemosnos. Ya igual pal que vei de Queens, NY, a los barrios del West End de Londres.

Que lu faigamos bien ou mal, nun sei. Pero podese bien. Igual que pudo Art conas clases d’Asturiania que garrou esti branu pa Llangreu (Langreo) au tuviera n’agosto. Paez que de la carga de l.libros que mercara ya de lo muitu que-y diera a la parpayuela, tornou pa Maryland daque fastidiau.

Cumo dicen pa Rusia, dozdorovites! Tamien dirian que-y fai falta una sesion de sauna con xente que-y dea con una xamasca de biduleiru!

Eso desplicolo outru dia...
Last edited by is on Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Yeah, a requirement that one be able to speak the language to get a job is very effective.

I'm uncomfortable assuming that I know what other people's motivations are. I've been wrong too many times. I don't know Llames, but I do know Is (Paul). Is, you have unusually strong language abilities and are highly motivated. We can't assume that our own ability or experience is like anyone else's.

I love languages, but I and others struggle a lot more than you seem to. I know several people who studied hard but just couldn't pick up a foreign language. I've also noticed that people pay attention to different aspects of a non-native language. I usually try to figure out the gist of what's being said, but my wife focuses on the expressions being used.

This summer at the Escuela d'Asturianía, I was frustrated that it was so difficult for me to understand some of my friends, especially a few from Argentina and Uruguay. (Interestingly, the Uruguayian variation has lots of "che" sounds.) At first I thought it might be a different language! Although it got easier for me to understand the Uruguayian because we were roommates, even toward the end I could still be clueless about what we were talking about. Two weeks of contact wasn't enough. On the other hand, in our classes I generally understand what was going on all the way through a lecture. Even the culture class taught in Central Asturian was pretty easy for me to understand, unless they were talking about farms and other topics with specialized vocabulary. But in classes we used more formal language, which is easier for a non-native speaker.

(I should say that I'm willing to let this argument go, but it has been very interesting, so thanks to everyone!)

Thanks, Paul, I'm still recuperating. This month has reminded me that bad health wastes a huge amount of time.

------------------------------

Sí, exigir que se habla el idioma para conseguir un trabajo es muy eficaz.

Me incomoda suponer que sé lo que son las motivaciones de otras personas. He hecho errores demasiadas veces. No conozco a Llames, pero sí conozco a Is (Paul). Is, tienes habilidades lingüísticas inusualmente fuertes y estás muy motivado. No podemos asumir que nuestra propia capacidad o la experiencia son como las de cualquier otra persona.

Me encanta idiomas, pero yo y otros luchamos mucho más que parece que (Is) tienes que luchar. Conozco a varias personas que estudian mucho, pero no pueden aprender un idioma extranjero. También he notado que distintas personas prestan atención a diferentes aspectos de una lengua no materna. Suelo tratar de averiguar la esencia de lo que se dice, pero mi esposa se centra en las expresiones que se utilizan.

Este verano en la Escuela d'Asturianía, estaba frustrado que era tan difícil para entender algunos de mis amigos, sobre todo algunos de Argentina y Uruguay. (Tal vez sea interesante señalar que la variación uruguaya tiene un montón de sonidos de "che".) ¡Al principio pensé que podría ser un idioma diferente! Aunque después de un rato estuvo más fácil entender la uruguaya porque estábamos compañeros de cuarto, incluso hacia el final había casos en que estaba sin pistas acerca de lo que estábamos hablando. Dos semanas de contacto no era suficiente. Por otro lado, en nuestras clases en general, entendí lo que fue presentando en todo de una charla. Incluso la clase de cultura asturiana, enseñada en asturiano central, fue bastante fácil entender, a menos que estuvieran hablando de la agricultura o otros temas con el vocabulario especializado. Pero en las clases usamos lenguaje más formal, lo que es más fácil para un hablante no nativo.

(Debo decir que puedo soltar de esta discusión, pero ha sido muy interesante, ¡así que gracias a todos!)

Gracias, Paul, todavía estoy recuperando. Este mes me ha recordado que mala salud hace que perdemos una enorme cantidad de tiempo.
ayalgueru

Post by ayalgueru »

for all you are saying ,,, it looks like the bottom line is that there are not major problems understanding and communicating ...

I am a bit sad to hear about reactions Paul has experienced in Xixon and Uvieu when he spoke asturian ... it is true that a large extent the asturian language there is in steep decline to say the least , fair enough but surely there is no need to be rude ,,, it is even more pathetic considering Xixon was asturian speaking not that long ago at all ,,, my Xixon spoke amestao ,,, en muchos casos a very asturian amestao ,,, and if you live in Xixon , even now , every now and again ,,, the llinguoteca ( asturian language store ) opens up and surprises you ,,,

Having said that ,,, I am not really sure what the way forward is for a recovery of popular use of asturian language ,,,
splish-splash
the cat washes in the river...
spring rain
Isaa Kobayashi (1816)
mofusu

recomendación

Post by mofusu »

Ta acabante d'editar un llibru interesante sobre les cuestiones d'esti filu:

Guardado Diez, D. (2008): Llingua estándar y normalización llingüística. La revitalización de les llingues subordinaes. Araz llibros, Xixón.

Saludos.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Muy interesante, Mofusu. ¿Puedes pegar aquí un corto resumen de la tesis del libro?

---------------------

That's very interesting, Mofusu. Can you post here a brief summary of the book's thesis?
mofusu

Post by mofusu »

Guardado Diez, D. (2008): Llingua estándar y normalización llingüística. La revitalización de les llingues subordinaes. Araz llibros, Xixón.

El llibru ye un repasu poles teoríes clásiques de la sociollingüística de les últimes décades.
Divídese en dos partes: una dedicada a la llingua y a la planificación llingüística, y otra a les llingues subordinaes. Na primera parte tratense conceptos como llingua y dialectu, llingua estándar y la planificación llingüística y estandarización. Na segunda fálase de la subordinación y obsolescencia, de la diglosia y sustitución, de la escayencia y muerte de les llingües, de la modernización social (capítulu interesante pal tema de la adaptación de les sociedades rurales a los cambeos de la sociedá moderna)... Nesta segunda parte tamién se profundiza nel términu normalización social ("procesu de tipu social que busca tresformar l'idioma nuna ferramienta útil nuna sociedá moderna") y en les medies revitalizadores necesaries. Hai otru par de capítulos dedicaos a la planificación del corpus (norma culta autónoma) y del estatus (aspectos socio-políticos de la difusión del idioma).
A lo cabero cuenta con unes conclusiones y dalgunes aplicaciones práctiques pal casu asturianu. La bibliografía ye estensa y interesante.

Saludinos.
granda

Post by granda »

My name is Ruben, Llames is my surname (which means wetland in Asturian) and despite living at 1500 kilometers of Asturies in my house my wife and I drink cider (on this island can find cider Trabanco or Menendez), we eat frixuelos (I must admit that my grandmother sends us boroña from Xixón), we make maguestos with Sidra del Duernu (imported from Asturies, of course), we heard music in Asturian (Tuenda, Felpeyu, Nuberu, Dixebra, el Presi, el Coro Santiaguín...), we read books in Asturian (Xuan Bello, Xandru Fernandez, Vincente García Oliva...) and we talk Asturian among ourselves.
Hello Llames ( I hope I understood your text correctly)

I don’t think that Asturianos can be put into categories based in what they do/speak/say. There are not different degrees of Asturiania. You can’t be considered asturiano for what you, but for how you feel. Of course we have to defend our traditions and customs, but there is not change of status based in our activities.

My surname is Granda (that means plateau in English) despite living at more than 7500kms from Asturias in a place where alcohol and pork are forbidden I drink cider and chorizo (both smuggled from Asturias, and the chorizos made from gochus celtas raised by my brother) I cook frixuelos, Asturians pastries, or any other Asturian dish that can come to your mind (I venerate Maria Luisa Garcia), I listen some music in Asturiano (Berrones, Nuberu) but I can’t stand Presi , and whenever I go I explain who I am and why. However I don’t speak Asturiano.....

Dos cosas más que se me olvidaban.

Me llamo Rubén, Llames es el apellido (significa barrizal en asturiano) y a 1500 kilómetros de Asturies en mi casa mi mujer y yo bebemos sidra, hacemos frixuelos (la boroña debo reconocer que nos la manda mi abuela desde Xixón), hacemos maguesto con sidra del Duernu (importa de Asturies, por supuesto), escuchamos música en asturiano (Tuenda, Felpeyu, Nuberu, Dixebra, el Presi, el Coro Santiaguín), leemos libros en asturiano (Xuan Bello, Xandru Fernández, Vicente Gacía Oliva) y por supuesto hablamos en asturiano entre nosotros.
Hola Llames,(espero haber entendido tu mensaje)

No creo que haya una clasificación de asturiania en base a lo que hacemos /hablamos. No se es mas asturiano por hacer algo supuestamente asturiano sin por como se siente uno. Por supuesto debemos de defender lo nuestro y nuestras tradiciones pero no eso no significa que el hacer algo o dejar de hacerlo considerad asturiano cambie nuestro status.

En mi caso me apellido Granda (que significa rasa en Asturiano) y pesar de vivir a mas de 7500 kms de Asturias en un sitio en el que el cerdo y el alcohol están prohibidos, bebo sidra y chorizo (que meto de contrabando, los chorizos hechos por mi hermano de los gochus celta que tiene), hago frixuelos, empanada y cualquier otro plazo asturiano que se te ocurre cada vez que puedo (venero a Maria Luisa Garcia), escucho algo de música en asturiano (Berrones y Nuberu) pero no puedo con el Presi, y a todo el mundo explico lo que soy y por que lo soy. Sin embargo no hablo asturiano. ……
Llames

Post by Llames »

Hi Granda

I think you didn't undestand my message correctly. My comment is a reply for an Art's comment.
Art wrote:The same processes occur with every other aspect of the culture. Traditional music and dance faces the decline if children don't learn them at home. What kind of music do the parents listen to and sing? Obviously, we're no longer wearing the traditional clothing of our great-great-grandparents, except as (often bastardized) reconstructions for special events. Very few Asturians eat traditional spelt bread (escanda) or corn bread (boroña).

Now that I start listing these different losses, I wonder what aspects of Asturian culture will still be recognizable in 50 years? I find it hard to believe that Asturian culture could be totally wiped out by globalization or even "Castilianization," but maybe I'm just dreaming wishfully.
It wasn't my intention to say that I am more asturian than others because I speak asturian like Caveda y Nava, I use montera even in the shower, I have 34 asturian surnames and drink cider for breakfast :lol:
Nothing could be further from the truth. I just wanted to tell Art that there are issues that remains, that not everything is lost (although fairly).

I think it's a mistake to divide people into categories, and imagine if we have to divide between good asturian and bad asturian. Crazy!

However, if we focus on the area of culture, for me it is clear that speaking the ancestral language of an area is a great support for that culture. So you can better understand how it formed that culture. Moreover, you will understand the lyrics of Nuberu and Los Berrores :twisted:

Whatever happens, I am not a judge nor I want to be one. If my comments has offended you, excuse me. I have enough with my own things to getting involved in what others are doing. :wink:

Greetings

Pd. Notice that I had never thought that Granda was an asturian word, I always thought that the Castilian word for a "plateau" was Granda. Curious, the same thing happened to me when I went to work in Madrid and I discovered that other words commonly used in Asturias when we speak Castilian wasn't Castilian words like: Pota (Olla: "pot"), arbeyo (guisante: "pea") ...

-------------------

Hola Granda

Creo que no entendiste el mensaje correctamente. Ese comentario mío que citas viene a responder a este de Art.
Art wrote:Los mismos procesos se producen con todos los demás aspectos de la cultura. La música tradicional y la danza se enfrenta a la disminución si los niños no aprenden en casa. ¿Cuál clase de música escuchan y cantan los padres de hoy? Obviamente, ya no llevamos la ropa tradicional de nuestros tatarabuelos, con la excepción de los trajes reconstituidos (a menudo envilecidos) para acontecimientos especiales. Muy pocos asturianos comen el pan tradicional de escanda o la boroña (pan de maíz).

Ahora que he puesto en lista estas pérdidas distintas, me pregunto sobre cuales aspectos de la cultura asturiana seguirán siendo reconocible en 50 años? Me parece difícil creer que la cultura asturiana podría ser totalmente aniquilada por la globalización o incluso la "castellanización", pero tal vez solomente quiera hacerme ilusiones.
No pretendía decir que soy más asturiano que los demás por hablar asturiano como Caveda y Nava, llevar montera hasta en la ducha, tener 34 apellidos asturianos y beber sidra hasta para desayunar :lol: Nada más lejos de la realidad. Sólo le decía a Art que hay cuestiones que se mantienen, que no todo se está perdiendo (aunque sí gran parte).

Creo que es un error dividir a los seres humanos en categorías, imagínate ya si tenemos que dividir entre asturianos de pura cepa y los que no lo son. !Eso sería una locura!

Sin embargo, si nos centramos en el área de la cultura, para mí está claro que hablar la lengua ancestral de una zona es un gran apoyo. Una manera de comprender mejor cómo se conformó la cultura que nos llegó ahora. Además, así entenderás las letras de Nuberu y Los Berrores :twisted:

Sea como sea, no soy juez ni quiero serlo. Si mis comentarios te ofendieron, discúlpame. Bastante tengo con lo mío como para meterme con lo de los demás.

Saludos

Pd. Fíjate que nunca había pensado que Granda fuera una palabra en asturiano, siempre pensé que en castellano "rasa" se decía Granda. Curiosos, me pasó lo mismo cuando fuí a trabajar a Madrid y descubrí que otras palabras de uso común en Asturias no eran castellano sino asturiano como pota (olla), arbeyo (guisante) ...
granda

Post by granda »

Llames,

Por supuesto que tus comentarios no me molestaron, en absoluto. Simplemente no supe relacionarlos con el text de Art.

Estoy de acuerdo de que no hay nada más peligroso hay que la exclusividad y el querer ser diferente a los otros. Todos sabemos lo que la ‘supremacía de ciertas razas’ ha provocado a lo largo de la historia. Me hizo gracia la mención de los 34 apellidos asturianos. Siempre me acuerdo de Sabino Arana y su mujer que tenía 126 apellidos vascos, pero desgraciadamente era muy poco agraciada. :D

Estoy de acuerdo en tus comentarios acerca de la cultura Asturiana y la defensa de la lengua como base de nuestra cultura y para permitir que se mantenga. Pero también encuentro normal que alguna de las tradiciones asturianas poco a poco se vayan diluyendo. Porque quien quiere comer boroña? (no me gusta nada su sabor, no es muy agradable) , o quien puede permitirse comer pan de escanda, (mucho más sabroso que el pan normal) cuando su precio es tres y hasta cuatro veces superior al pan de trigo normal?

Igual yo es que soy demasiado pragmático y poco luchador pero es el modo en como veo las cosas. De todas maneras hoy para desayunar y porque no tengo trabajo me hice unos frixuelos, que desastre , solo al final empezaron a salir bien :)

En cuanto a lo de las palabras asturianas/españolas recuerdo que una vez en Zaragoza adivinaron que yo era asturiano porque dije empanadilla de bonito y no de atún. También me paso lo mismo con playero/zapatilla de deporte. Sé que las cuatro palabras son en castellano pero las dos primeras se usan principalmente en Asturias. Cuando en otro post mencionas que hablas que hablas castellano de Asturias, te estas refiriendo a esto? Si es asi yo encuentro que la diferencia es muy pequeña para hablar de dos castellanos (perdona que igual haya mezclado temas de 2 posts)

Llames,

No ofense with your comments. I just couldn’t see the link with Art’s text.
I agree with you that nothing is more dangerous that the exclusivity and of wanting to be different from others. We all know the problems created along the years because of the’ supremacy of the race’. I found your comments on the 34 true Asturian surnames quite funny. I always remember Sabino Arana and his wife. She had 126 Basque surnames but she wasn’t very pretty. :D

I agree with your comments on the Asturian culture and the defence of the Asturian language as pillar of our culture. But I also consider normal for some of the traditions to dilute disappear with the time. Who wants to eat boroña (corn bread) ) I don’t like the taste, too sour; or who can afford escanda (spelt bread) far tastier and white wheat bread, when its prices is three or four times higher than the ‘normal’ bread.

Maybe I am too pragmatic and not much of a fighter but this is the way I see the things. BTW today I cooked frixuelos (crepes) for breakfast, what a disaster, only at the end I started to get the trick :)

Regarding the words asturian/Spanish I remember that once in Zaragoza the people found that I was asturianu because I said empanadilla de bonito insted of atun. Something similar happened with playero/zapatilla de deporte. I know that the four words are in castellano but player and bonito are used mainly in Asturias. When in another post you mentioned that you use Asturian Castillian when speaking to Asturians. Are you referring to this? If so I think that the difference is not big enough to justify 2 versions of the same language
Llames

Post by Llames »

Me alegra haber resuelto el malentendido.

Las tradiciones lo que tienen es que salen muy caras!!! :lol: Un traje de asturiano, una montera picona, un pan de boroña (a mí si me gusta su sabor), pan de escanda, unas buenas fabes...como decían Les Luthiers "Hay un mundo mejor, pero es carísimo" :P

El castellano de Asturias al que me refiero es a lo que algunos denominan "amestao" (mezcla de asturiano y castellano), el dialecto que utilizas cuando estás con gente de tu entorno, diferente del standar que, por ejemplo, utilizamos en este forum. Esa mezcla de gramática asturiana (ausencia de verbos compuestos, uso de los pronombres después del verbo...) con la castellana, introducción de algunas palabras asturianas de uso común (caleya, pixín, pita...) entre la mayoría de castellanas, empleo del "Ho" para terminar frases y dar enfasis (en las Cuencas todavía distinguen entre hombre y mujer a la hora de utilizar este recurso. "Ho" para cuando hablas con un hombre; "Ne" para cuando hablas con una mujer), empleo del -y en vez del complemento indirecto, terminación en
-u y en -es en vez de en -o y en -as....cosas así, que creo que justifican que hable del castellano de Asturias (un dialecto del castellano como puede ser el que se habla en Andalucía o en Argentina o en Estados Unidos...) sin ninguna intención linguística, sólo para entendernos.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am pleased to have resolved the misunderstanding.

Traditions are very expensive! : lol: A traditional suit of Asturias, a montera picona, a boroña (corn bread, I like the taste), bread of escanda (spelt bread), good Fabes ... As Les Luthiers said "There is a better, but it is very expensive" :P

What I call Castilian of Asturias, is what some call "amestao" (mixed of asturian and castilian). Is the dialect you use when you are speaking with others of the same land, different from the standar we use, for example, in this forum. That mix of grammar Asturian (lack of compound verbs, use of pronouns after the verb...) with the Castilian, introduction of some words of common usage in Asturian(Caleya -little road-, pixín -monkfish-, pita -chicken- ...) among a majority of Castilian, use of "ho "(In the Cuencas they still distinguish between men and women to utilize this resource." Ho "for when you talk to a man,"Ne" when you are talking with a woman), employment, use of -y instead of the indirect object, termination in -u- instead of -o- and -es- instead of -os- ... things as this, which I think justifies speaking of the Castilian of Asturias (a dialect of Castilian as others like the Castilian of Argentina, Andalusia, the United States ...) without any linguistic intention, just to understand each other.

Return to “Asturian & Bable - Asturianu y bables”