Equipment for making chorizos

Recipies using beef, veal, pork, sausages, patés, & game.<br>
Recetas empleando carne de vaca, ternera, cerdo, embutidos, paté, y caza.

Moderators: almudena, Moderators

Bob

Equipment for making chorizos

Post by Bob »

Here are two source for grinders, smokers, meat curing agents (for dry curing), etc.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/

http://www.sausagesource.com/
Eric Smith Fernandez

Post by Eric Smith Fernandez »

La Tienda is selling Oak Wood Chips and Chestnut Wood Chips for $14.00 as a Father's Day promotion. They are made from old Sherry Barrels.

They come in 12ounce bags. I'm not sure if it is worth it to buy them, but it is worth mentioning.

La Tienda can provide you with chorizo and morcilla.

[Art: Thanks, Eric. I added our affiliate links.]
Soy un estudiante. Quiero estar seguro de que estoy escribiendo bien Si alguien se da cuenta de los errores gramaticales míos en los mensajes ¿Me puede avisar?
Eric Smith Fernandez

I just bought a cast iron (table mount) stuffer from cabelas for $70.00 it looks to be real heavy duty. The stuffing tubes are all stainless steel. The stuffing piston (i guess you could call it) has seals to prevent blow by. I'm excited about the chance to use it. It is a curved table mount version. I'll let all of you know how well it functions.

I bought this in addition to my grinder. The 4 blade knife has to be in place when stuffing the sausage and grinds the pork too fine. If i take the knives off it causes the courcscrew to rub against the plastic funnel damaging it.

I still will use my meat grinder to grind porkbutts in the future, (just to try it.) I need a bigger plate though. Mine came with a 6mm and 8 mm plate. I am going to buy a 10mm plate from cabela's when they are in stock. I need to make sure it fits in my Walmart brand #10 grinder.

I thought all of this would be worth mentioning in this section of the forum.
Soy un estudiante. Quiero estar seguro de que estoy escribiendo bien Si alguien se da cuenta de los errores gramaticales míos en los mensajes ¿Me puede avisar?
is

Post by is »

Eric Smith Fernandez wrote:I just bought a cast iron (table mount) stuffer from cabelas for $70.00...
You and Bob never cease to amaze me with your home-made chourizos. Wish I were as ambitious as you, but am chronically short of time...

Eric, do you mind describing what picadillo is for Shaun in Toronto? As an expert in the world of home-made Asturian-Illinoisian sausages, I think you'd do a grand job. Follow this link:

http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2692
Bob

Post by Bob »

Eric,

I'm trying to emvision your stuffer to figure out why the four bladed knife has to be in place. In mine, I simply remove the knife and the plate it cuts against (metal disk with holes) and it works fine as a stuffer without further grinding the picadillo. If you need your knife blades in place, try reversing them so they don't cut again.

Bob
Eric Smith Fernandez

Bob,

I think mine would work OK but the funnel is plastic. The square head on the Corkscrew that holds the knife blades in place rubs the plastic funnel, and would probably rub a hole in it after heavy use. I hope the link to my photo from another conversation on chorizo works. You can see the grinder here:

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV124gl9

Eric.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Yes, it looks very much like mine except that my funnel is aluminum. You can buy the metal funnels separately.
Eric Smith Fernandez

I will definately do that. Do you have any idea where I might buy them?
Bob

Post by Bob »

One good source for anything related to sausage making is http://www.sausagemaker.com/ They do sell metal funnels.
Eric Smith Fernandez

I see they also sell grinding plates for a #10 grinder. What size do you Use/ Recommend?

I may order one here instead of Cabela's.
Eric Smith Fernandez

Bob,

What type of paprika do you prefer for making chorizos?

I just bought some smoked paprika and am awaiting for the arrival of pork butts to the restaurant I ordered them from. Like you, (and weather permitting) I am going to make chorizo the day after Thanksgiving. I talked to my dad and brothers and they are all ready to help. As you have probably guessed, I'm going to grind my own meet to make it coarser. I am using a 3/8 inch diamater grinding plate. Wish me luck. I'll let you know how it goes.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Lately I've been using Spanish sweet smoked paprika. Great flavor. I add whatever heat I want (not much) with crushed red pepper flakes.

http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/spa ... vera-dulce
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Eric, you must be doing it pretty well if so many want to get in on the action! Have fun!

--------------------

¡Eric, debe ser que estás haciéndolo bien si hay tantos que quieren ayudarte! ¡Que os divirtáis!
Eric Smith Fernandez

Thanks,

Last time I used Tone's from Walmart. It was OK. I really hadn't had anything to compare it too. This time I went to the Soulard Spice shop in St. Louis. I bought Hungarian Smoked sweet Paprika. I didn't know that they don't sell Spanish Paprika there. I was already over there So I bought it anyway. I also bought some Hot Paprika as well. I know there spices are very fresh. When I opened the container I loved the oaky smell.

I hope it is not a Sin to make Spanish Chorizo with Hungarian Paprika! Next time I'll try the Spice Barn, The Spice House, or La tienda. I bought the Hungarian Paprika because I didn't want to waste a trip.

Thanks for all the advice and help,

Eric
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

The Hungarian paprika I've used is very good, although I can't say how it compares. What I do know is that a year or two ago, Is (Paul) gave me some Spanish paprika (smoked, I think) that is very, very tasty, the best I've ever had.

Ha, I see no sin in going Hungarian. We have a common history of the sad sort. In the early-mid 20th century, when the Hungarian and Spanish immigrants, along with many other immigrant peoples, were considered undesirables by many "Americans" who no longer viewed themselves as immigrants, these "real Americans" lumped the undesirables together. And so it was that our grandparents (or great-grandparents?) were sometimes called "hunkies." Use that Hungarian paprika with pride!

--------------------------

El pimentón húngaro que he usado es muy bueno, aunque no puedo decir cómo se compara. Lo que sí sé es que hace uno o dos años Is (Paul) me dio algún español pimentón (ahumado, creo) que es muy, muy sabroso, el mejor que he probado.

Ja, no veo ningún pecado en el uso del húngaro. Tenemos una historia común de una clase triste. A comienzos o mediados del siglo 20, cuando los inmigrantes húngaro y español, junto con muchos otros inmigrantes, fueron considerados indeseables por muchos "americanos" que ya no se consideraron a sí mismos como inmigrantes, estos "verdaderos americanos" agruparon a los indeseables juntos. Y así fue que nuestros abuelos (¿o bisabuelos?) a veces se llamaron "hunkies". ¡Utilice el pimentón húngaro con orgullo!

Return to “Meats - Carnes”