Elecciones presidenciales -- 2008 Presidential elections

Rational discussion of "hot" issues that affect Asturias, the US, etc.<br>
Discusión racional de temas acalorados que afectan a Asturias, EE.UU., etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Now that's a loophole I hadn't considered. At one point I had two driver's licenses (for different states), so I suppose it'd be hard to eliminate this problem entirely.

I sometimes wonder why we don't have a national ID. It must be because of states' rights and fear of the government having too much info on us... as if they don't already!
Xose

Post by Xose »

If there is any aspect to our government that should be Federalized, this is it. We need to have one central database in a "Department of Voting" that can be checked against for accuracy and will get rid of the outdated, stupid idea of having every single po-dunk county in the U.S. running its own elections (with the inevitable corruption and ineptitude that entails).
Bob

Post by Bob »

It strikes me that a utility bill or even multiple utility bills may serve as proof of residence (for whomever is named) but not as proof of identity of the person presenting the bills.

I do think that I should be allowed to vote in local and state elections where both of my homes are (two different states) because I spend about half the year in each location and pay taxes in both locations, but that I should not be able to vote for national candidates twice. The obvious solution, unless I am missing something, is a national voter card. Get it punched - can't use it again for the same election. If this were in place, I would have no hesitancy about voting in local and state elections in two different localities (unless my attorney tells me something different).

I realize that my situation is a bit unusual, but it is certainly not unprecedented or unknown.
Betty

Post by Betty »

Precisely, Bob. I won't give voice to the many rumors surrounding just such activities here in Ohio during the election.

On a much happier note, I just finished watching President-Elect Obama and Mrs. Obama arrive at the White House for their meeting with the current First Family. You all know Mr. Obama was not my choice. Having said that, I got chills and such a sense of pride in our great country to see this taking place. A transition is in place and not one shot fired. That is democracy in action and I am hopeful once again. My husband predicts he will be a great President.
Betty Vega
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Post by Barbara Alonso Novellino »

Betty wrote:Precisely, Bob. I won't give voice to the many rumors surrounding just such activities here in Ohio during the election.

On a much happier note, I just finished watching President-Elect Obama and Mrs. Obama arrive at the White House for their meeting with the current First Family. You all know Mr. Obama was not my choice. Having said that, I got chills and such a sense of pride in our great country to see this taking place. A transition is in place and not one shot fired. That is democracy in action and I am hopeful once again. My husband predicts he will be a great President.
Betty Vega
As you all know. Mr. Obama wasn't my choice either. But having said that, I also was happy to see President Bush and President-elect Obama meet at the White house in such a cordial manner. Now, we have to stand behind Mr. Obama and hope and pray that he will be successful as President.. My personal hope is that he will not govern too far to the left...but will find a middle of the road approach.

Barbara
Bob

Post by Bob »

I have always found the terms "left" and "right," and "liberal" and "conservative" to be very inadequate to describe the range of political, social and economic positions that we hold. Even people who may be viewed as extremists by others are usually much more complex than those terms would suggest.

Return to “Political Discussion - Discusión política”