Artime in the US

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Bob

Artime in the US

Post by Bob »

My father remembers that, when he was a young boy in Spelter, West Virginia, family members from the St. Louis/East St. Louis/Collinsville area visited. Their name was Artime, and they were related to my grandfather. One of the children was a girl, tall with red hair. He doesn't remember her name. Does anyone else have a memory of this Artime family?

Also, my parents exchanged Christmas card with an Artime family, now dead, from Collinsville, Illinois, for many years. My mom said that the name and address were:

Julio Artime
145 Troy Road
Collinsville, Illinois

Does anyone know anything about this Artime family?

My grandfather's mother was Maria Artime Ovies, who was a native of Gozón.

Bob Martinez
Last edited by Bob on Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdhsuarez

Post by mdhsuarez »

My dad said there was a Julio Artime that lived in Fairmont City, IL (this town neighbors East St. Louis and sometimes used East St. Louis as their mailing address). He believes they lived on 42nd St. (East St. Louis also had many spaniards that lived on streets numbered in the 40's so this sometimes can be confusing when looking at old records). This Julio Artime passed away around 5 yers ago, he thinks. Julio married an Alvarez girl but he doesn't remember her name. He believes that a nephew from the Alvarez side is still around the area and he will try to track him down for more info. He says he also remembers that Julio had a brother named Louis who married Concita Muniz (Dad remembers this quite clearly because he used to date Concita's sister, Lola). The Artimes had at least one other sister that he can remember who also married an Alvarez. He cannot remember her name and he also thinks there were other brothers and sisters in the Artime family. I live in Collinsville and there are listings for 5 Artimes in the phone book for the surrounding areas. If you want these listings, let me know. My dad did not recognize their names. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Marleen Menendez Suarez
Sweeney

Artime

Post by Sweeney »

Dear Bob,

Julio and Louis Artime are your third cousins. They are my second cousins. They are the sons of Jose Artime Menendez my great Uncle. They have both passed away, but Louis' grandson is a member of the forum. I believe his screen name is Artime. 8)
Donna
jomaguca

Re: Artime in the US

Post by jomaguca »

Bob, te puedo hacer una pregunta? tú sabes como era conocida la madre de tú abuela en Salinas?,es muy importante qué me respondas porque entonces hablamos de la misma persona ,osea MARIA ARTIMEZ OVIES es la abuela, de mi abuelo JOSE GUTIERREZ VERDIN y la persona qué más quería en esta mundo ,porqué fué para el MADRE Y ABUELA A LA VEZ y fué la persona qué lo crió junto con mi bisabuelo GUILLERMO VERDIN LÓPEZ, además yo creo que el apellido Artime es acabado en Z osea ARTIMEZ,,PORQUÉ EN LA LÁPIDA ASÍ LO PONE , ESPERO RESPUESTA.SALUDOS :lol:
jomaguca

Re: Artime in the US

Post by jomaguca »

Bob, perdón y el nombre de tú abuelo?si dices qué la madre de tú abuelo era MARIA ARTIMEZ OVIES ,como se llama tú abuelo,y el padre de tú abuelo , tengo qué unir los parentescos haber si me aclaro, :roll: saludos
Bob

Post by Bob »

Jomaguca,

My grandfather was Victor Martínez Artime, born in Salinas on January 25, 1894. His father was José Martínez Alonso (from Muros. Victor's paternal grandparents were Gregorio Martínez (from Muros and Aurelia Alonso (also from Muros).

Victor's mother was Maria Artime Ovies (from Gozón). Victor's maternal grandparents were Miguel Artime (son of Jose Artime and Maria Menendez) and Florentina Ovies (daughter of Francisco Ovies and Isabel Mienes (or Mieres?--the handwriting on the document is unclear).

Bob Martinez
Sweeney

Maria Artimez Ovies

Post by Sweeney »

Dear Jomaguca:

I was confused by this also. It appears that our Great Great grandparents, Miguel Artimez Menendez and Florentina Ovies Mienes had two daughters named Maria. Our great grandmother was Maria Victoria Artimez Ovies. Bob's great grandmother was Maria Artimez Ovies (I do not know what her middle name was).

So we all share common great great grandparents. Bob is our third cousin. 8)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Bob,

I bet when you started this website you did not expect to find so many cousins?!? :o
Last edited by Sweeney on Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donna
Bob

Post by Bob »

Jomaguca,

You wrote that
Bob, te puedo hacer una pregunta? tú sabes como era conocida la madre de tú abuela en Salinas?,es muy importante qué me respondas porque entonces hablamos de la misma persona ,osea MARIA ARTIMEZ OVIES es la abuela, de mi abuelo JOSE GUTIERREZ VERDIN y la persona qué más quería en esta mundo ,porqué fué para el MADRE Y ABUELA A LA VEZ y fué la persona qué lo crió junto con mi bisabuelo GUILLERMO VERDIN LÓPEZ, además yo creo que el apellido Artime es acabado en Z osea ARTIMEZ,,PORQUÉ EN LA LÁPIDA ASÍ LO PONE , ESPERO RESPUESTA.SALUDOS
My grandmother was Josefa Fernández Inclan (called Sena), born on January 9, 1895 in la Vallina (San Martin de Laspra). Her father was Manuel Fernandez Gonzalez (from San Martin de Laspra) JOsefa's paternal grandparents were Gabriel Fernandez Gonzalez (from Gozón) and Josefa Gonzalez (from Laspra).

Josefa's mother was Maria Inclan Alvarez (from Laspra). Her maternal grandparents were Francisco Inclan Diaz (from Laspra) and Teresa Alvarez de la Campa (from Laspra).

The Artime in my family are on my grandfather's side, not my grandmother. Their name was Artime, not Artimez (although a spelling change is always possibole and some relatives did go by Artimez). My grandfather's mother was Maria Artime Ovies (from Gozón). She was 32 years old and living in Salinas when my grandfather (Victor Martinez Artime) was born in 1895. In think that Maria Artime Ovies Maria would have been born about 1862.

I am related to Sweeney (we are third cousins by virture of common Ovies ancestors), by the way.

Bob Martinez
jomaguca

artimez

Post by jomaguca »

Bob, yo me llamo JOSE MANUEL GUTIERREZ CASTAÑO, mi abuelo se llamaba JOSÉ GUTIÉRREZ VERDIN era hijo de MARÍA VERDIN ARTIMEZ, HERMANA DE FLORENTINE VERDIN ARTIMEZ , ABUELA DE DONNA SWEENEY,LA ABUELA DE MI ABUELO SE LLAMABA MARÍA ARTIMEZ OVIES como te dije fué la persona qué crió a mi abuelo y por supuesto a la persona qué más quería en éste mundo ,la qué le enseñó todo para ser la queridísima persona qué fué y qué tanto querían en Salinas
Bob

Post by Bob »

My grandfather, Victor Martinez Artime, was born in Salinas in the big white building that now (or at least in 1999) houses the offices of the Guardia Civil. It is at the western end of the beach, not too far from the yacht club, at the intersection of Calle Dr. Perez and Avenida Clarin. There is a little park with a small horreo between the building my grandfather was born in and the ocean, and a cafe/bar with three or phto large photos of Salinas at various times in its history right next door. My grandfather called the house "la casona," not be be confiused with la casona in Arnau.

Bob Martinez.
Last edited by Bob on Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jomaguca

MARIA ARTIMEZ OVIES

Post by jomaguca »

La abuela de mi padre nació en el año 1860 y murió el 26-12-1940 así lo pone en la lápida en el cementerio de San Martín de Laspra.Te voy a contar una anecdota, cuando mi abuelo era un chiquillo y llegaban las cartas de los emigrantes de San Martín qué se fueron a America mi padre ayudaba al cartero a repartir las cartas de los americanos y tiene ido a las diez de la noche a llevar las cartas a la gente ,porqué mi abuelo decía qué no se podía dejar la carta para el día siguiente ,qué la gente estaba deseando saber noticias y alguna carta contenía algún dinero ,subía la cuesta de San Martín en un plis plas ,eso me lo contó mi abuela qué falleció en el año 2001, siempre me contaba historias porqué mi abuelo era muy muy querido en Salinas,y fué un gran jugador de futbol de los años 40, era conocido como VERDIN. :roll:
Bob

Martínez Artíme(z) family from Salinas

Post by Bob »

Two sisters of my grandfather (Victor Martínez Artime) are buried in the cemetery of San Martín de Laspra. I just checked my notes, and their names are spelled "Artímez" with a Z on the grave markers. The inscriptions read:

Obdulia Martínez Artímez
3 - 3 - 1970
a los 77 años
D. E. P.
Rdo. de su familia

Julia Martínez Artímez
16 - 10 - 1980
a los 80 años
D. E. P.

I think Julia was called Julia Mariona. My grandfather also had brothers named Manuel and Emilio, and another sister, Virginia. The grave of Manuel's son is also in the same cemetery. The stone is on the western wall of the oldest part of the cemetery. It reads:

J. Manuel Martínez López
fallecido en San Juan de la Arena
el 19 de Sept. 1933
edad de 4 años
Recuerdo de sus padres

Manuel worked in a steel plant in Canton, Ohio, for a while during the 1920's, and often visited my grandparents in Spelter, West Virginia. My father remembers his visits well. He returned to Asturias because he could not bring his wife to the United States. I think he ran a café or bar. In any event, he ran afoul of the Franco government and escaped to France and finally to Mexico, where I met him and his family in 1961 in Mexico City. He had two or three sons, one named Luís. I think his wife's name was María. On the way to Mexico (late 1940's or early 1950's) , Manuel stopped in Puerto Rico to visit my uncle Gabriel, who was stationed there by the FBI because he spoke fluent Spanish.

I know that Virginia had a daughter, who still lives in the area.

Emilio went to Venezuela or Argentina and my family lost track of him. One of my uncles eventually hired a private detective to find him, only to discover that he had already died.
Sweeney

photo

Post by Sweeney »

Dear Jomaguca:

Months ago your Dad sent me a photo of the Martinez family. That photo was of Bob's great uncle Emilio Martinez. Isn't that correct, Bob? 8)
Donna
Bob

Post by Bob »

I think that is correct. I have a photo in my collection with a label of EMilio Martinez.

Bob
jomaguca

Re: photo

Post by jomaguca »

Donna, ahora lo entiendo todo Bob, es familia nuestra por parte de los ARTIMEZ OVIES,queda claro ,mira por donde tenemos un monton de primos ,claro la foto me la enseñó mi padre, qué las tenía mi abuelo guardadas con todas las de la familia de AMERICA ,bueno pues nada bien venido a la familia y aquí también tienes tú casa para lo que quieras,quien lo iba a decir después de 53 años qué tiene mi padre ,qué ibamos a encontrar tantos primos ,claro qué si lo piensas mi bisabuela eran 21 hermanos así qué primos seremos un montón,.besos :lol:

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”