The future of the Centros Asturianos

What is needed for Asturias to prosper?<br>
¿Qué se precisa para que Asturias prosperará?

Moderator: Moderators

Llames

The future of the Centros Asturianos

Post by Llames »

I'm Llames (Rubén Llames), a member of this forum. Recently I've been elected as the new president of the Centro Asturiano de Mallorca (an spanish island in the Mediterranean Sea). This Center was closed in 2000 and we are trying to reactivate it. All the members of the direction of the Centro are new and all of us have less than 34 years old, so we are rookies and we need some help.

It would be a great thing fo us to receive any advice or suggestion that people from this forum could give us (suggestion about activities, funding...).

Taking advantage of this request maybe we could discuss about the future of the Asturian Centers/Centros Asturianos. In Europe we are seeing how these institutions with, mostly of them, more than 100 years of living and run by elderly immigrants are facing competition from new associations of young immigrants who use new technologies like ASMA (Asturians in Madrid)
www.asturianos.as
AsBru (Asturians in Brussels)
www.asbru.be
or AsLon (Asturians in London)
www.lne.es/secciones/noticia.jsp?pRef=1 ... es-agrupan

I don't know if you know what is a Centro Asturiano. A Centro Asturiano is a social club for immigrants and the descendants of immigrants from Asturias. The objetives of a Centro Asturiano are the same as of this forum: to preserve the asturian culture and to help coexistence between Asturians outside their homeland. There are many all around the world as you can see here

www.emigracionasturiana.com/scripts/cen ... rianos.asp
Llames

El futuru de los Centros Asturianos

Post by Llames »

Buenes

Soi Llames (Rubén Llames), el pasau vienres fui nombrau presidente del Centru Asturianu de Mallorca. Equí'l Centru llevaba 8 años pesllao (nun había sede social ni actividaes), pero la xente mayor que taba nominalmente al cargu costaba-yos dexar pasu a les nueves xeneraciones. Un poquiñín como lo que pasa con el Centru Asturianu de Madrid y ASMA, la clásica engarradiella ente xente mayor y xente moza.

Afortunadamente equí pudimo, tras 3 años de conversaciones, facer un traspasu de poder y tenemos la intención de entamar en xineru el Centru con la admisión de socios y la programación d'actividaes (poques que sólo contamos con les perres que pongamos los de la Xunta Direutiva y'l sofitu de la única sidrería de Mallorca). Somos 10 asturianos d'ente 25 y 34 años los que formamos la Xunta Direutiva y, falo en nome de toos ellos, prestaríanos que nos dixerais qué esperais de un Centru Asturianu, que idees tenéis, que crítiques podemos incorporar, cualquier cosa que nos pueda ayudar a entamar bien l'asuntu y a no facer los mesmos errores que pudieren haber fecho otros.

Tamién prestaríame que pudieramos discutir sobre'l futuru de los Centros Asturianos, la mayoría en manos de xente mayor a los que-y cuesten camudar, agora que paez que surxen nueves maneras de asociase como Asturianos en Madrid, Asturianos en Bruselas o Asturianos en Londres.

Munches gracies y un saludu
Llames

El futuro de los Centros Asturianos

Post by Llames »

Soy Llames (Rubén Llames), el pasado viernes fuí nombrado presidente del Centro Asturiano de Mallorca. Aquí el Centro llevaba 8 años cerrado (no había sede social ni actividades), pero la gente mayor que estaba nominalmente al cargo, tenía reparos en dejar paso a las nuevas generaciones. Algo parecido a lo entre el Centro Asturiano de Madrid y ASMA, la clásica lucha generacional.

Afortunadamente aquí pudimos, tras 3 años de conversaciones, hacer un traspaso ordenado y cordial de poderes y tenemos la intención de iniciar en enero la admisión de socios y la programación de actividades del Centro (serán pocas actividades porque, por ahora y en un futuro próximo, la financiación la ponen los miembros de la Junta Directiva y el apoyo la única sidrería de Mallorca).

Somos 10 asturianos de entre 25 y 34 años los que formamos la Junta Directiva y, hablo en nombre de todos ellos, nos gustaría que nos dijerais que esperáis de un Centro Asturiano, qué ideas tenéis, qué críticas podemos aprovechar y cualquier cosa que nos ayude a funcionar bien y a no repetir errores pasados.

También nos gustaría que pudieramos discutir sobre el futuro de los Centros Asturianos, la mayoría en manos de gente mayor a los que les cuesta adapatarse a los cambios, ahora que parece que surgen nuevas maneras de asociarse como Asturianos en Madrid, Asturianos en Bruselas o Asturianos en Londres.

Muchas gracias y un saludo
is

Post by is »

Congrats, Llames! Glad to see people like you doing what amounts to excellent public advocacy work for Asturias in the Balearic islands.

I'm quite aware of the difference between new associations like ASBRA and ASMA, and the older, politically compromised (i.e., under PSOE-FSA control) 'centros asturianos'. These last ones are certainly of another age and places where Areces and his people go looking for votes in exchange for modest cash endowments.

In Moscow, I used to drop into the center for Spanish Republican refugees and found the children of the Asturian-Russians (by then over 50 years old) in a kind of time freeze. It was very interesting, but a little sad too.

----

Norabona, Llames. Prestame ver a xente cumo tu fadiendo bon l.labor ya l.levando a Asturias mundu alantre.

Si que tou al corriente del bon trabayu d'asociaciones cumo ASBRA ou ASMA, ya tamen de los centros asturianos (muitos politicamente embaxo'l control de las redes clientelares del PSOE/FSA, igual que fadia'l PP gal.lego n'Arxentina).

Estos centros asturianos paecen d'outra domina. En Moscu, de la que trabayaba ehi, pasaba dacuandu pel centro pa los fios de republicanos nel esiliu. Daquel.la (vei 3 anos) la mayoria tenian de 50 anos p'arriba ya paecia que vivian nun 'time freeze' (tiempo xelao).
Last edited by is on Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Llames

Post by Llames »

Thank you Is, nor you don't do it badly :lol:

This weekend I had to participate in a forum, organized by the Government of the Balearic Islands, with all the Regional Centers present in this lands. We were 25 centers and only in 3 they had members in their direction with less than 40 years old.

It could be a coincidence, but when 22 centers were talking about how to get more subsidies, the other 3 were talking about how to do more things for our homeland.

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country"
JFK

We are another generation of inmigrants, maybe, mostly of us, aren't gonna live for their whole life in the same place and today we are here and tomorrow we are in París, just like you, Is. And because of our different origin we have different ideas (also because of the difference of ages, of course)...I don't know, but it's sure that we think different

One of our goals here is to work for Asturies Tourism, we would like to offer our experience in the Balearic Islands to "sell" Asturies here. In the direction of the Centro Asturiano de Mallorca there are people who speaks english, german, french, catalan, asturian...we are psicologists, lawyers, entrepreneurs...we work for comunication enterprises, tourism enterprises, for the government... and we want to use all of it in the benefit of Asturies (with 0 cost). I think that if the Asturian Government have some interest in it, it'll work because in Mallorca we have a daily direct flight to Asturias and a lot of germans, english and mallorquins who love the Green.

In two or three weeks we'll have a meeting with the Asturian Government, I hope they have an open mind to use us for this or other proposals.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gracias Is, tú tampoco lo haces mal :lol:

Este fin de semana he tenido que participar en un foro, organizado por el Gobierno de las Islas Baleares, con todos los Centros Regionales presentes en estas islas. Fuimos 25 centros y sólo en 3 de ellos, había directivos que tuvieran menos de 40 años de edad.

Podría ser una coincidencia, pero mientras 22 de los centros estaban hablando de cómo conseguir más subvenciones, los otros 3 estabamos hablando acerca de cómo hacer más actividades.

"No preguntes lo que tu país puede hacer por tí, sino lo que tú puedes hacer por tu país"
JFK

Somos otra generación de inmigrantes. La mayoría de nosotros no tiene pensado quedarse a vivir en el mismo sitio donde está. Empiezas en Madrid y saltas a Londres, Bruselas o París, como hizo Is. Y quizá esa forma diferente de ver la emigración nos hace tener pensamientos diferentes (además de la diferencia de edad, por supuesto)

Uno de nuestros objetivos en el Centro Asturiano de Mallorca es trabajar en la promoción del Turismo de Asturies. Quisiéramos ofrecer nuestra experiencia en las Islas Baleares para que Asturies se pudiera "vender" aquí. En la junta directiva, de la que formo parte, hay gente que habla Inglés, alemán, francés, catalán, asturiano ... hay psicologists, abogados, empresarios ... hay gente que trabaja en empresas de comunicación, cadenas hoteleras, en la Administración .. . y queremos utilizar todo ello en beneficio de Asturies (trabajando gratis). Creo que si el Gobierno asturiano tiene algún interés en esta idea, podría tener éxito porque tenemos vuelo diario y directo a Asturies con Air Berlín y aquí hay mucho alemán, Inglés y mallorquin que aman el verde.

En dos o tres semanas tendremos una reunión con el Gobierno asturiano, espero que les guste la idea y podamos trabajar con ellos en esta u otras propuestas.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Llames, when you first spoke about having a different idea for the Centro Asturiano in Mallorca, I wasn't thinking as grandly as you are! Wow! What an exciting idea: to use the Centro to promote Asturian culture and tourism among non-Asturians!

I can imagine that such a suggestion could be threatening to the government, but it's so dramatically different it may be refreshing to them, too.

In my -- very few -- conversations with government leaders, it was obvious that the Centros tend to do a lot of asking for money. To some degree that is justified because the Centros (if they're working well) are keeping the traditions alive. From what I've seen as a student in the Escuela d'Asturianía, some of the Centros are doing a good job. I was impressed with the number of students who could speak Asturian and the very good skills of many of the dancers and pipers.

What you're suggesting may be a middle way between the old, dying Centro Asturiano model and the new ASMA model. This in itself makes what you're suggesting a worthwhile experiment. Perhaps the path you're suggesting would help bring about a new era and a new kind of relationship between the government and the Centros: more interdependence and less dependence. Good luck and best wishes!

-------------------------------

Llames, la primera vez que hablaste sobre tener una idea diferente para el Centro Asturiano en Mallorca, no estaba pensando tan grandiosamente (en el sentido de "impresionante") como tú. ¡Vaya! ¡Qué idea tan fantástica: utilizar el Centro Asturiano para promover la cultura y el turismo entre los que no son asturianos!

Imagino que esta propuesta podría ser una amenaza para el gobierno, pero es tan radicalmente diferente que también puede ser refrescante para ellos.

En algunas - muy pocos - conversaciones con los líderes del gobierno, era evidente que los Centros tienden a hacer muchos pedidos de dinero. Hasta cierto punto, está justificado porque los Centros (si están funcionando bien) mantienen las tradiciones vivas. De lo que he visto de los estudiantes en la Escuela de Asturianía, algunos de los Centros están haciendo un trabajo muy bueno. Estaba impresionado con el número de estudiantes que pueden hablar asturiano y que tienen muy buenas habilidades con el baile y la gaita.

Lo que estás sugiriendo puede ser una vía media entre el modelo viejo de los Centros Asturianos moribundos y el nuevo modelo de ASMA. Esto en sí mismo lo hace un experimento valoroso. Tal vez el camino que estás sugiriendo ayudará en lograr un nuevo etapa y clase nueva de relaciones entre el gobierno y los Centros: más interdependencia y menos dependencia. Suerte y saludos!
Llames

Post by Llames »

Well, Art is just a wish and

"The wishes of our lives form a chain whose links are the hope."
Seneca

And hope is the only thing that we have, now. We are thinking, talking and wishing....but we don't have any information about how a Centro Asturiano work so we have to stay calm and learn as much as possible.

I recognize that all these post are just dreams, but

"You will say that I am a dreamer, but I am not the only one"
John Lennon

:wink:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bueno, Art es sólo un deseo y

"Los deseos de nuestra vida forman una cadena cuyos vínculos son la esperanza".
Seneca

Y la esperanza es lo único que tenemos, ahora. Estamos pensando, hablando y deseando .... pero no tenemos ninguna información acerca de cómo funciona un Centro Asturiano, por lo que tenemos que mantener la calma y aprender tanto como sea posible.

Reconozco que lo expuesto aquí son sólo sueños, pero

"Ustedes dirán que soy un soñador, pero no soy el único"
John Lennon

:wink:
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I have spoken to several people about their Centros. I'll list the main complaints I've heard, for what it's worth (maybe not much). Many of these are related.
  • In some places it's difficult for a small group to purchase a building, so they don't have a location.
  • The older members dominate the leadership and block the ideas of the younger members.
  • The kinds of activities the older Asturians would enjoy are different from the kind of activities the younger Asturians would enjoy.
  • There aren't enough young people to attract other young people and provide programming that would interest them.
  • The older Centros are sometimes in a "holding pattern" (not willing or able to change). So they spent their energy and money maintaining the building.
  • The events are too expensive, especially for young people.
  • The events are mainly of interest to the older members.
Most of that is predictable. There really are huge differences in the generations and we can't blame the older and younger members for that.

But it seems to me that you may have had the good fortune to avoid some of these core problems, which would give you a very strong advantage.

----------------------------

He hablado con varias personas sobre sus Centros. Voy a enumerar las quejas principales que he escuchado. Pero no sé si vale mucho. Muchos de estos están relacionados.
  • En algunos lugares es difícil comprar un edificio para un pequeño grupo, por lo que no tienen un sede.
  • Los socios mayores dominan la dirección y bloquean las ideas de los miembros más jóvenes.
  • El tipo de actividades que disfrutan los asturianos viejos es diferente que la clase de actividades que los jóvenes disfrutan.
  • No hay suficientes jóvenes para atraer a otros jóvenes y ofrecer programación que les interesarían.
  • Los Centros viejos son a veces en un "patrón de explotación" (no dispuestos o preparados para cambiar). Por lo tanto, que gastan su energía y su dinero en el mantenimiento del edificio.
  • Los acontecimientos son demasiado caros, especialmente para los jóvenes.
  • Los acontecimientos son principalmente de interés para los miembros más viejos.
La mayoría de estos son previsibles. Es obvio que hay enormes diferencias en las generaciones y no podemos culpar ni a los mayores ni a los jóvenes en eso.

Pero me parece que quizás has tenido la buena fortuna de evitar algunos de estos problemas básicos, que te dará una ventaja muy fuerte.
Llames

Post by Llames »

Art wrote
I have spoken to several people about their Centros. I'll list the main complaints I've heard, for what it's worth (maybe not much). Many of these are related.

In some places it's difficult for a small group to purchase a building, so they don't have a location.

The older members dominate the leadership and block the ideas of the younger members.

The kinds of activities the older Asturians would enjoy are different from the kind of activities the younger Asturians would enjoy.

There aren't enough young people to attract other young people and provide programming that would interest them.

The older Centros are sometimes in a "holding pattern" (not willing or able to change). So they spent their energy and money maintaining the building.

The events are too expensive, especially for young people.

The events are mainly of interest to the older members.
I'm trying to talk with others Centros Asturianos to get more information (also I wrote to ASMA, ASBRU and ASLON) and your post is very interesting in that way, Art.

As you say we have some advantages that are, at the same time, our weaknesses.

We don't have our own place for the Centro, so we don't have to pay a hire (but we have a Horreo, that was transported, piece by piece, from Asturies 15 years ago and is located in our old Centro's place...we have to find a solution for that).

Our idea is to get a virtual place with our future web and to organise activities in different locals (we are talking with some friends in that way). The owner of the only sidrería in Mallorca support us giving some discount in his place just showing the Centro Asturiano's identity card. Maybe in one or two years we will have our own place.

We had that fight with older members in the Centro. That's why we have spend 3 years from the first time we talk with the Centro's president untill we form the new direction.

And one of the main problem here, it's gonna be the incorporation of older people to the Centro, because our solutions and activities are provided for and by young people and we want to be a Centro for all asturians (no matter of what age) or from other lands that love Asturian Culture. We have to incorporate to the directive older people, there is no doubt.

And, for the last but not the least, we want to be funded by ourselves to have more liberty to choose our own way (it's a goal not a reality) so we have to earn some money for some activities, but we only want to earn money with activities relationed with the party, not with cultural events (in the first quarter of 2009 we hope to start with an exhibition of paintings by Asturian painters of free admission)

Art escribió
He hablado con varias personas sobre sus Centros. Voy a enumerar las quejas principales que he escuchado. Pero no sé si vale mucho. Muchos de estos están relacionados.

En algunos lugares es difícil comprar un edificio para un pequeño grupo, por lo que no tienen un sede.

Los socios mayores dominan la dirección y bloquean las ideas de los miembros más jóvenes.

El tipo de actividades que disfrutan los asturianos viejos es diferente que la clase de actividades que los jóvenes disfrutan.

No hay suficientes jóvenes para atraer a otros jóvenes y ofrecer programación que les interesarían.

Los Centros viejos son a veces en un "patrón de explotación" (no dispuestos o preparados para cambiar). Por lo tanto, que gastan su energía y su dinero en el mantenimiento del edificio.

Los acontecimientos son demasiado caros, especialmente para los jóvenes.

Los acontecimientos son principalmente de interés para los miembros más viejos.
Estoy intentando hablar con otros Centros Asturianos para obtener más información (también escribí a ASMA, ASBRU y ASLON) y tu post es muy interesante en ese sentido, Art.

Como dices tenemos algunas ventajas que son, al mismo tiempo, nuestras debilidades.

No tenemos nuestro local propio para el Centro, por lo que no tenemos que preocuparnos por pagar un alquiler (pero tenemos un Horreo, que fue transportado, pieza por pieza, desde Asturias hace 15 años y se encuentra en los antiguos terrenos de nuestro Centro... tendremos que encontrar una solución para esto).

Nuestra idea es conseguir un lugar virtual mediante nuestra futura web y organizar nuestras actividades en diferentes locales de Palma (estamos hablando con algunos amigos a ver si hay manera). El propietario de la única Sidrería de Mallorca nos apoya haciendo un descuento en su establecimiento al mostrar el carnet del Centro Asturiano. El objetivo es poder tener un local propio en quizá uno o dos años.

Hemos tenido nuestros más y nuestros menos con los miembros de más edad del Centro que formaban la directiva. Esa es la razón por la que han pasado 3 años desde que hablamos con el presidente del Centro hasta que logramos formar la nueva dirección.

Y uno de los principales problema aquí, va a ser la incorporación de las personas mayores al Centro, ya que nuestras soluciones y las actividades están previstas por y para los jóvenes y queremos ser un Centro para todos los asturianos, independientemente de su edad, o de otras tierras que aman la cultura asturiana . Tenemos que incorporar a gente mayor, no hay duda.

Y, por último pero no menos importante, queremos ser autofinanciados para tener más libertad para elegir nuestro propio camino (lógicamente todavía es un objetivo, no una realidad) por lo que tenemos que ganar algo de dinero con algunas actividades. Sólo impondremos entrada en aquellas actividades relacionadas con la Folixa, no con actos culturales (en el primer trimestre de 2009 esperamos empezar con una exposición de pintura de autores asturiano pintores de entrada gratis)

Return to “The Future of Asturias - El futuro de Asturias”