What are these "machines"?

Stories, rituals, customs, & more.<br>
Cuentos, rituales, costumbres, y más.

Moderator: Moderators

Marta Elena Díaz García

What are these "machines"?

Post by Marta Elena Díaz García »

Hola a todos,
después de tan largo silencio....os mando una foto de unos utensilios de cocina utilizados hace muchos años...
A ver si alguien sabe (o se imagina) para qué se utilizaba.
Saludos,
Marta

---------------
Hi, every body.
After so long silence, I send you a picture of kitchen pans that were used in Asturias long time ago.
Do you know (or imagine) what they were for?
Cheers,
Marta.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Interesting. We they used for making popcorn?

---------------

Interesante. Se usaron para hacer palomitas de maíz?
Bob

Post by Bob »

I first thought the same thing, but the size of the pans in relation to the windows seems far too small. I wish we had other objects to compare them to.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

That's a good point, Bob. And they're not likely to be very large given the long handle because they'd be hard to lift by the handle.

So what do Asturians cook that could spatter or pop? I haven't heard of Asturians popping other grains, like wheat or spelt. I suppose it could be for frying things like onions. You could stir them without making a mess, but it seems like overkill for that.

--------------------------

Tienes razón, Bob. Y no es probable que sean muy grandes dado la asa larga porque sería difícil levantarlo por la asa.

Entonces, ¿qué hacen los cocineros asturianos que podrían salpicar o saltar? No he oído hablar de asturianos preparando otros granos, como el trigo o escanda, como las palomitas. Supongo que podrían ser para freír cosas como las cebollas. Se puede revolver sin crear un lío, pero parece ser demasiada máquina para eso.
Betty

Post by Betty »

I've been thinking... how about roasting chestnuts? Doesn't look as if you could have very many.. wish I could see the inside !

Come on Marta, are we anywhere near close?
Betty

Marta, se utilizan para asar castañas?
Betty
Marta Elena Díaz García

Solution.....

Post by Marta Elena Díaz García »

Hi :D ,
The answer: it was used to roast coffee and then grinding it.....
It is curious, isn't it?
I took the picture of these pans in the Museo Etnográfico de Grandas de Salime.
There you can find most of the implements, tools and furniture used many years ago in the asturian farmers. I enjoyed the visit and I recommend it to those to have the opportunity to visit Asturias or even to those even living that do not know it.
You do a virtual tour with 360 degrees panoramic photos at this address:
http://www.museodegrandas.com/images/pa ... amica.html
Cheers, :D
Marta.

Translation.

Hola: :D
La respuesta es: utensilio para tostar café y a continuación molerlo. ¿Verdad que es curioso?.
Hice estas fotos en el Museo Etnográfico de Grandas de Salime.
Allí se pueden encontrar la mayoría de aperos, herramientas y muebles utilizados hace años en las caserías asturianas. Disfruté la visita y la recomiendo a quienes tengan la oportunidad de visitar Asturias o incluso a aquellos que aún viviendo aquí no lo conocen.
Podéis hacer una visita virtual, con panorámicas de 360º para entrar en los aposentos si váis a esta dirección:
http://www.museodegrandas.com/images/pa ... amica.html
Saludos,
Marta.
Betty

Post by Betty »

Gracias, Marta!
Grinding coffee beans was my husband's first guess! But I didn't go to the next step of the roasting part... as a reason for the metal pan. I can't wait to tell him. THANKS for the link too! How interesting! I did not know of the existence of this museum. It is quite extensive, isn't it!
Betty

Return to “Folklore”