Al López (Baseball Hall Of Fame)

Write about your favorite Asturian<br>
Escriba de un asturiano favorito

Moderator: Moderators

emuniz

Al López (Baseball Hall Of Fame)

Post by emuniz »

Felicidades por vuestro sitio.
¿Alguien sabe cual es el origen de los padres de Al Lopez, la figura del baseball?.
Su padre se llamaba Modesto y su madre faustina. Creo que eran españoles y me gustaría confirmar si asturianos.
Gracias por cualquier información.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I think EJ Salcines mentioned Al Lopez as Asturian at the February conference, but I don't have a copy of is remarks to look at to be certain. Suronda, Alberto, Art, do any of you remember?
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hmm. I do remember seeing his portrait in the Centro Asturiano de Tampa. And there was a lot of talk about him. I don't remember everything that was said, but given their pride, I'd assume that he was Asturian.

-----------------

Umm. Recuerdo que vi su retrato en el Centro Asturiano de Tampa. Y había mucha charla sobre él. No recuerdo todo lo que hablaban, pero dando su orgullo, suponería que era asturiano.
Rodrig54

Asturian Footprints in America

Post by Rodrig54 »

Al Lopez was indeed from Asturian heritage and a member of the Centro Asturiano in Tampa. His painting still adorns the club's entry hall.

The Special Collections unit of the University of South Florida has an article from E J Salcines (link below) entitled Asturian Footprints in America. The article came from the Sunland Tribune/ Centro Asturiano Collection. Its focus is on Asturian-Americans who made it up the ladder, especially in the Tampa Bay area. Of possible interest:

Link/Enlace

---------------------------------------------------------------
Trad. Terechu

Al López es, en efecto, de ascendencia asturiana y fue socio del Centro Asturiano de Tampa. Su cuadro aún adorna el hall de entrada del club.

La unidad de colecciones especiales de la University of South Florida trae un artículo de E.J. Salcines (ver enlace) titulado Asturian Footprints in America (huellas asturianas en América). Ese artículo procede de la colección del Centro Asturiano. Trata de los astur-americanos que prosperaron, especialmente en el área de la bahía de Tampa. Por si fuera de interés:
Last edited by Rodrig54 on Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emuniz

Gracias

Post by emuniz »

Muchas gracias por la información. Sois lo mejor que he visto en mucho tiempo.
Cuando vengais por Asturies, tais invitaos a tola sidrina que podais beber.
Y lo digo muy en serio.
Soy asturianu y estoy haciendo un trabajo sobre la huella de España en lo que hoy son los Estados Unidos de América. Son 500 años y es tanta la aportación española que estoy pensando en dividirla por Comunidades Autónomas.
Otra vez gracias y seguiremos en contacto. Uno se siente más asturiano y español, después de conoceros a vosotros.

Ta luego

--------------------------------------------
Transl. Terechu

Thanks a lot for the information. You are the best I've seen in a long time. When you come to Asturias, you are invited to all the cider you can drink. And I mean it!
I'm Asturian and I'm making a study on the Spain's legacy to today's USA. It's been 500 years and there's such a wealth of contributions that I am considering dividing it up in Autonomous Communities.
Thanks again and we'll keep in touch. After knowing you one feels more Asturian and Spanish.

See ya
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Thanks for that link, Rodrig54! It is a great article and I enjoyed the photos, too. The Centro Asturiano building was impressive, and Al looks soooo Asturian! How about adding him to the "Asturian Hall of Fame" section of the forum?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Gracias por el enlace, Rodrig54! Es un artículo buenísmo y me encantaron las fotos. El Centro Asturiano de Tampa era impresionante y Al tiene una pinta de asturiano increíble. Qué tal si lo añades a la sección de la sala de la fama asturiana?

Cheers
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Emuniz, you might be interested in helping plan our next simposium, or at least submit a proposal to give a talk. Your research on Asturians in the US would fit perfectly.
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=53

------------------

Emuniz, quizás te interesa participar en hacer planes para el simposio segundo, o al menos presentar una propuesta para una charla. Tus investigaciones sobre asturianos en los EE.UU. concordaría perfectamente.
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=53
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

He cambiado el mensaje de Emuniz, en que se presenta, aquí:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... =7279#7279

--------------

I've moved Emuniz's response, in which he introduces himself, here:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... =7279#7279
stamargo

Post by stamargo »

Al Lopez was the descendant of Asturianos and the pride of Ybor City. He was a very good baseball player but an even better baseball manager (coach).

When his team (the Cleveland Indians) finally beat the evil New York Yankees and made it to the World Series in 1954, all of Ybor had a party. Everyone was glued to their radios and were very disappointed when Lopez's team lost. (My father remembers listening with his father, who was a very cheerful and calm man. When the Indians lost, my abuelo threw his shoe through a window.)

A minor-league baseball stadium in Tampa was named Al Lopez Park. When it was torn down, a nearby park was named Al Lopez Park and a statue of Lopez was placed by the front.

My Abuelo Prendes was younger than Lopez but knew him a little. When Lopez died a couple years ago, my mother put a rose on his statue at the park. A TV reporter happened to be there covering the story of his death and interviewed her.

More about El Senor Lopez:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Lopez

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Al Lopez era descendiente de asturianos y el orgullo de Ybor City. Fue un muy buen jugador de baseball y mejor entrenador.

Cuando su equipo (el Cleveland Indians) finalmente derrotó a los malvados New York Yankees y consiguió pasar a las World Series de 1954, todo Ybor lo celebró. Todo el mundo estaba pegado a la radio y se entristeció mucho cuando el equipo de Lopez perdió. (Mi padre recuerda cómo escuchó el partido con el suyo, un hombre muy alegre y tranquilo. Cuando los Indians perdieron mi abuelo tiró uno de sus zapatos por la ventana).

Un estadio de baseball de segunda divión de Tampa lleva el nombre de Al Lopez. Cuando se derribó se le dió su nombre a un parque cercano y, en la entrada, se instaló una estatua de Lopez.

Mi abuelo Prendes era más joven que Lopez, pero le conoció un poco. Lopez falleció hace un par de años. Mi madre puso una rosa en su estatua del parque. Dió la casualidad de que un reportero de la televisión estaba allí cubriendo la noticia y la entrevistó.

Más información sobre el Sr. Lopez en:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Lopez
Bertin

Post by Bertin »

La verdad es que es un orgullo para los asturianos y para los españoles en general que compatriotas y paisanos hayan triunfado en el país más poderoso del mundo y se hayan convertido en ídolos como es el caso de Al López, que nació en Ybor City (Tampa-Florida) que era una especie de barrio compuesto mayoritariamente de españoles, cubanos e italianos.

---------------------------------------------

The truth is that it's a pride for Asturians and Spaniards in general and fellow countrymen have triumphed in the most powerful country in the world and have become idols such as Al Lopez. Born in Ybor City (Tampa, Florida) was a neighborhood consisting mostly of Spaniards, Cubans and Italians.

Return to “Asturian Hall of Fame - Sala de fama asturiana”