Inauguration Meetup - DC area Asturians & Asturian-Ameri

Happenings of interest to forum participants.<br>
Sucesos de interés a foreros.

Moderator: Moderators

Art
Site Admin

Inauguration Meetup - DC area Asturians & Asturian-Ameri

Post by Art »

Can you come to a small, impromptu gathering of Asturians and Asturian-Americans in the Washington, DC area?

A journalist from La Nueva España, María José Iglesias-Baloyra, will be reporting on the inauguration of Barack Obama and wants to meet with Asturians or Asturian-Americans to get their thoughts on the government's transition.

We plan to meet in a home in Bowie MD, near the New Carrollton Metro stop. We expect to gather Sunday, January 18th, at 5 or 6 pm, possibly a little later, depending on María José's flight.

If you're interested, email me using the email button below!

-----------------------------

Puedes asistir a una pequeña, improvisada reunión de asturianos y astur-americanos en la zona de Washington, DC?

Un periodista de La Nueva España, María José Iglesias-Baloyra, reporteará sobre la inauguración de Barack Obama y quiere reunirse con asturianos o astur-estadounidenses para obtener sus ideas sobre la transición del el gobierno.

Tenemos previsto reunirnos en una casa en Bowie MD, cerca de la parada de metro, New Carrollton. Esperamos reunir este domingo, 18 de enero, a las 5 o 6 horas, posiblemente un poco más tarde, según el vuelo de María José.

Si éste te interesa, dime por correo electrónico usando el botón de abajo que dice "email"!
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

I Wish I could be there! That would be something: a group of Asturians at the Obama inauguration! I hope y'all have fun!

Ya quisiera yo poder estar! No estaría mal, un grupo de asturianos en la toma de posesión de Obama. Que lo paséis muy bien!
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I wish you could have been there, too, Terechu! Bob was also wishing he could have attended. It was set up so late that few Asturians were able to attend. Alfonso Diaz, for example was working at Blair House, I assume assisting with the Obamas during their residency there.

The journalist who attended wrote an article in La Nueva España.

Many of the details are wrong, including our last names and spouses, especially on the photo page. Oh, well, such is journalism!

----------------------------

¡Ojala que podrías haber estado allí, también, Terechu! Bob también deseaba que podría haber asistido. El reunión fue organizada tan tarde que pocos asturianos pudieron asistir. Alfonso Díaz, por ejemplo, estaba trabajando en Blair House, supongo ayudando a los Obamas por que quedaban allí.

La periodista que asistió escribió un artículo in La Nueva España.

Muchos de los detalles están equivocados, incluyendo nuestros apellidos y los cónyuges, especialmente en la página con al foto. ¡Pues, así es el periodismo!
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

[Art: I've added this note from Is about Alfonso Diaz.
Is, feel free to edit this.]

I received an mail from Patty Simpson with a link to a video clip on CSPAN where they show our very own Fonsu (fast forward to 59:55) at work in Blair House. Tas mui seriu no videu, Fonsu, pero dexuro que ye por faer bien las cousas. Norabona...

Paul

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Blair House CSPAN program from 1/17/2009
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:00:50 -0500

Hey, Alfonso had a brief appearance on CSPAN last night on a special they did on the Blair House. Alfonso is on the program exactly at 59 mins and 55 secs if you want to fast forward. You can fast forward to 59 mins then you have to watch the next 55 secs and if you blink, you will miss him!

http://www.c-span.org/Watch/watch.aspx? ... HP-R-14454
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Watching the video it was obvious to me that Alfonso is perfect for his work. Alfonso is all about hospitality and protocol. We're lucky to have him here!

---------------------

Viendo el video es evidente para mí que Alfonso es perfecta para su trabajo. Alfonso es completamente en sintonía con la hospitalidad y el protocolo. Somos afortunados de que está aquí!
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

I loved that video on Blair House, but I'm not sure if I should envy Alfonso or not. It must be pretty stressful to handle old china and all that historic stuff and knowing that if you break a plate, there's no replacement...
On the other hand, the place is gorgeous and seeing the world's Who's-who day in and day out is pretty interesting, too.

-------------------------------
Me encantó el video de Blair House, pero no estoy segura si envidiar a Alfonso. Debe de ser un sinvivir andar con porcelana antigua y todas esas cosas históricas y saber que si rompes un plato no hay repuesto...
Por otra parte, el sitio es precioso y poder ver a los poderosos de la tierra a diario tiene que ser bastante interesante.
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Oh my goodness, Art! :o :o :o Arthur Leech married to Dora García??? and Johanna Zuller??? They weren't even close! Leave it to LNE to get things messed up!!

---------------------------------------------------------------
Cielo santo, Art! :o :o :o Arthur Leech casado con Dora García??? Y Johanna Zuller? Es que no dieron una! Qué mataos son los de LNE!
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Yeah, it was the worst bunch of mistakes I've ever seen, especially in such a short article. I think the editors in Oviedo made many of the mistakes.

-------------------------

Sí, era un montón de errores, lo peor que he visto, especialmente en artículo tan breve. Creo que los editores en Oviedo hicieron la mayoría de los errores.
Xose

Post by Xose »

Sorry I've been out of touch lately, Art. Wish I could've been there. Maybe I'd be in the photo as Sr. Gallina. :lol:
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Ha! Yeah, it could have been worse!
It would have been good to have you there, Xose.

By the way, Alfonso and I were talking today about a regional gathering. We'll see how it develops. We'll start another thread to discuss it.

-------------------------

¡Ja! ¡Sí, podría haber sido peor!

Nos habría alegrado tu presencia, Xose.

Por cierto, Alfonso y yo estábamos hablando hoy acerca de una reunión regional. Veremos cómo se desarrolla. Empezaremos otro hilo para crearlo.

Return to “Events - Acontecimientos”