Seeking cousins: Francisco (Quico) Suárez Molina, Donora PA

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

rosiejan

Re: E-Mail

Post by rosiejan »

Hello, Jose Ramon - I did receive it and replied, let me know that you've received mine also!

Much Love,

Janice
suarez

Adresse

Post by suarez »

I have received it now.

Much Love

Jose Ramon
rosiejan

Re: Adresse

Post by rosiejan »

Excellent! Talk to you soon!

Much Love,

Janice
jbarbo

Suarez Family in Donora

Post by jbarbo »

Janice,

Here are some photos of Quico and Aurora with friends. It was amazing how close many of the Asturianos were to one another. Please read some of the posts that I have written on Donora. I remember most of your family.

Jimmy Garcia Barbo

Many of these Asturianos came from the same area of Asturias or knew one another when they were very young.

Please say hello to your family from the Victor Garcia and Mary Barbao family.
rosiejan

Post by rosiejan »

Hello Victor!!!!! Thank you so much for posting the photos! You have no idea how much this means to me! Do you remember my father, Julio? I am so anxious to hear more about him and my grandparents, my uncles, everyone! My family is pretty much all gone now :( There is just me, my sister Shirley and my brother Bob. My brother Rick passed in 1994 at 44 years old. My father Julio passed in 1970 at 46 years old, and I just lost my mother in July of 2005 at 81 years old. I remember Donora very very well -I spent a lot of time there with my father up until I was 14 years old. I will read your posts on Donora. I found my cousins Alan and Alyne (Gavino's son and daughter) and my cousin Arthur. I remember exactly what grandma Conseulo's apartment looked like, every detail - Grandpa Candido died 4 months before I was born. I would love for you to email me if you like - I'm very anxious to learn all I can. I'm planning a visit to Donora in late April and I would very very much to love meet you and your family!
rosiejan

Re: Seeking cousins: Francisco (Quico) Suárez Molina, Donor

Post by rosiejan »

Hello again, Jose Ramon - I just talked again with my cousin Alan whom I found last week - my uncle Gavino's son - he said he remembers Franciso very well - their nickname for him for was Chucha. They only had one son, Oscar, who is in your photo with Francisco and Aurora. That photo was taken in my uncle Gavino's living room (Consuelo and Candido's son). The ship my grandma Conseulo and grandpa Candido came over on was named the Adriatic. Alan was telling me about the fiesta they had every year in Donora until about the mid 80's, 3 day events with people from all different states - it sounds like such fun! The last time I was in Donora, I believe was 1969. Talk to you again soon!

Much love,

Janice
rosiejan

Victor Garcia/Mary Barbao

Post by rosiejan »

Hello again, Jimmy - I talked again with my uncle Gavino's son Alan today and he remembers you well...he said to send you regards from his family.....
Bob

Post by Bob »

The Adriatic was the ship that my grandparents arrived on in November of 1913. It sailed from Liverpool to Ellis Island. Their departure point from Spain was A Coruña in Galicia.
rosiejan

Seeking Cousins: Francisco (Quico)Suarez Donora PA

Post by rosiejan »

Interesting! My grandparents arrived in September of 1916. I'm still tracking their departure point from Spain, I have manifest showing departure point from England. It's on a spread sheet and hard to read, I'm trying to get it to where I can view it more clearly.
rosiejan

Post by rosiejan »

Hello, Victor (or it is Jimmy? I got confused). This is just too unbelievable to be true! When you told me what town in Ohio your sister lives in, I was amazed to see that it's my town. When I looked in our telephone book, I see that she lives exactly 5 minutes from me, 3 if I drive fast :) There is someone up there watching and helping me....you don't lose your whole family for 39 years and find them all in one week. I'm just overwhelmed with all of this and overjoyed beyond words. I would never simply intrude without permission, but if she would like to meet and talk with me, I would love to see her! This town is not that large, and I'm guessing that if/when I meet her, we've probably walked right past each other or bumped into each other at the market dozens of times and never knew it.
jbarbo

Suarez/ Donora/West Virginia

Post by jbarbo »

Janice,

I'm Jimmy. My sister would love to meet you and talk about Donora. Please take some family photos to stir her memory. She knows that I have been very active with our families history.

Your grandparents, Candido and Consuelo Alvarez probably left Spain from Aviles or Gijon to Liverpool, England. Many asturianos spent time in the port of Liverpool waiting for passage to New York. My Barbao family left from Le Havre, France.

Candido and family went on to Meadowbrook( Spelter) to live with Francisco and Aurora Suarez. And later in the 1920's they all moved to Donora. The men got jobs in the mill there where many other asturianos were working. The Spanish Club was the center of social activities. Life was good in Donora for all of them.

Upload more of your family photos to this site. I am sure more of us would recognize some of your family. Especially, your family from Asturias.

Jimmy Garcia Barbo
rosiejan

Post by rosiejan »

Hi Jimmy, I haven't figured out yet how to upload photos here, but I will do that as soon as I do! I don't have a lot of photos of my dad's side of the family :( I do have a lot of my father, though (Julio) and several of Ramon, and I have one of my grandparents with my father. Before my mother passed, she told me to make sure to take all the photos and never get rid of any, which of course I wouldn't, and there are boxes and albums full of them. I'm going to sit down and go through them again and see what else is there. There are a lot of people that I don't know in the photos, possibly from Donora, and I'll take those, as your sister may know who they are -and will work on figuring out how to upload here. Very much looking forward to meeting with your sister, I'll call her! I don't remember the social hall, but cousin Alan was telling me how grandma would dance with tablespoons, as she didn't have castinettes (sp) :) What I do remember very clearly is the feeling of closeness, hapiness & community when we went to visit, and the loving, homey feeling in grandma's house. I was fascinated by all the chatter in Spanish, not knowing the language, but knowing they were all so happy to be together. I just loved to sit there and listen. "Corny" as it sounds, the feeling of love is my strongest memory of Donora.
Art
Site Admin

Re: Suarez/ Donora/West Virginia

Post by Art »

jbarbo wrote:.... Many asturianos spent time in the port of Liverpool waiting for passage to New York. My Barbao family left from Le Havre, France. ....
Do you know how your family get to Le Havre?

Janice, when you write a message a text link appears below the message field "Add image to post". Click on that.

---------------------------------------

¿Sabes cómo llegaron tu familia a Le Havre?

Janice, cuando escribes un mensaje, un eslabón en palabras aparece abajo del campo del mensaje, "Añadir Imagen al Mensaje". Haz clic sobre éste.
rosiejan

Post by rosiejan »

I'll try that! Thank you, Art! I just have them saved into my AOL photos - I think I have to get them into Photobucket or somehwhere first. Thanks!

Janice[/img]
rosiejan

Post by rosiejan »

Trying this for the first time, hopefully it will work - if it does, this is my father, Julio Alvarez, with my grandparents, Consuelo and Candido Alvarez, taken in approximately, guessing, 1945 or 1946.

Will try to post a few more photos since I've gotten the hang of it - I hope they come out large enough, some are very small snapshots.

Grandma Consuelo Alvarez with my sister, Shirley and my brother, Bob

Uncle Ramon Alvarez when he was in the Army.

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”