Spanish-American War (War of Cuban Independence)

Retelling the stories of the Asturian-American migration.<br>
Recontando las historias de la emigración astur-americana.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Pepe

Post by Pepe »

My great-great-grandfather and his son, Manuel Gonzalez Vega, my great-grandfather, lived in Cuba for some time during the latter half of the 1800s. Manuel was even known as "el Cubano." This nickname was so strong that some of the older people I spoke with didn't know who Manuel was until someone said I was talk about "el Cubano." I am very curious about the Astur-Cuban/Indiano history. I was also told that Manuel fought in the Spanish-American War, having flashbacks years later when his mind began to fail. I understood that he supported the Cubans in their independence claim. Can anyone enlighten this subject further? Of course any story would be appreciated.
Bob Molleda

Post by Bob Molleda »

My great-grandfather Miguel Molleda Piñeiro left Llanes, Asturias and went to Cuba sometime between 1860 and 1870. He married in Cuba and had three sons, one being my grandfather Victor Molleda Diaz. My great-grandfather was a farmer in Pinar del Rio, Cuba and was killed by the Cuban Mambises sometime in the latter part of the century during the war of indepence.

He was one of thirteen cousins, all from the same region in Asturias, who went to Cuba at the same time. Once they reached Cuba they moved to different parts of the island. My grandfather, Victor Molleda, died at the age of 35 in 1919 when my father was 8 years old.

There were many Asturianos, as well as Gallegos, Canarios and Catalanes, that moved to Cuba before and after the War of Cuban Independence. Many of them went to Cuba during the Civil War in Spain.

My family came to the United States in December 1959 shortly after the Castro take over. We have been in the United States ever since. I was born in Havana, Cuba in 1944 and came to Miami at the age of 15. I have lived in this country most of my life and my two sons and granddaughter were born in this country. We are all very proud of being Americans and very proud of our Asturian heritage.

Roberto M. Molleda
Miami, FL
Annette

Post by Annette »

I did a google search for Manuel Gonzalez Vega, your name came up, and I was introduced to this FANTASTIC website, I can't tell you how excited I am since most of my direct lines come from Asturias!

I have 2 Manuel Gonzalez Vega's in my family line.

my gggrandfather
Manuel Antonio Gonzalez Vega bron 1859 in Perlora Spain and died in 1911 in La Habana, Cuba founder of the Centro Asturiano in Havana, in 1886. I know of only 1 brother so far Genaro.

his father, my ggggrandfather
Manuel Antonio Gonzalez Vega (sr.) was born in 1819 in Perlora, and married in 1848 in Perlora to a Vicenta Vega Garcia, also from Perlora. I don't have any more information on him. I don't know if he ever made it to Cuba or not.

Does any of this sound familiar? Manuel Sr. did have one other brother Antonio Gonzalez and a few sisters, but I know nothing of them. What is the name of our ggrandfather? When did they arrive in the United States?

I look forward to hearing from you, Gonzalez and Vega are not uncommon but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Gracias, Annette
princessbaq@hotmail.com
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Annette, is "ggrandfather" great grandfather? and "ggrandfather" great-great-grandfather, etc.?

--------

Annette, ¿es que "ggrandfather" significa bisabuelo? y ¿"gggrandfather" significa tatarabuelo?
Annette

Post by Annette »

gggrandfather = great great grandfather

ggggrandfather = great great great grandfather.

I'm the eldest of the eldest of the eldest, so the gaps between generations are pretty short in comparison to some of the other lines I'm researching. I apoligize for any confusion.

Gracias, Annette
yendiders

Post by yendiders »

robert, my uncle's last name is molleda. his grandparents were from espana. i am also try to get some information on them. mayb you could help me out. thank you!!
stamargo

Post by stamargo »

A lot of young Asturianos left Spain around that time to avoid being drafted into the army. Several of my ancestors came to Tampa in the late 1890s for this reason.

My great-grandfather (Prendes) was not so lucky and was sent to Cuba to fight. His unit received medals and a thank-you letter from the king of Spain for the killing of Jose Marti in battle. He moved to Tampa after the war but didn't mention his medal because Marti was much loved around here.
Raquel M

att: Pepe

Post by Raquel M »

Pepe,

The Spaniards went to Cuba and started their new life there, one day, their Cuban born children decided to fight against Spain because the Spanish rule in Cuba was too strict, too cruel, inhumane.

The Mambi Army was created to fight against the Spanish government in Cuba. The Cuban families were divided, one part supported the Spanish goverment and the other part supported the fight for Cuba's Independence.

George Washington went to Cuba looking for money to buy guns and ammunitions to fight in the US War of Independence....the women in Cuba donated their jewelry, so the relations between the Americans and the Cuban people began, years later, the United States helped the Cuban people to be free from the Spanish Goverment.

The new Republic of Cuba was born in 1902, the Cuban Constitution declared that " all Cubans were the same with equal rights, no matter their skin color" ( Spanish, Black or Chinese)( there were no Indians in Cuba, they all died ).

My father's side of the family were Mambises, they were the children of Spaniards born in Cuba......

My mother's side of the family were members of the Spanish Army. I was born in Cuba, in a communist society. I remember reading old Cuba's history books with different stories than the ones I was learning at school....

I remember seeing old Spaniards traveling to Cuba to find 12 years olds prostitutes...I hated the Spaniards!!!I saw them in the streets and I felt sick.

My family came to the USA after many years waiting for permission to leave Cuba. I live in Florida, I married here, my three children were born here. My children have traveled to Spain and always return upset because they say some people in Spain tell them " how they are Cubans with blonde hair and blue eyes? " my children do not discriminate against any race or place of origin, my children know that Cubans are Cubans no matter their skin color, we are all the same people divided by living Mommies.

I felt connected to my Spanish ancestors when the King of Spain had the courage to stop President Hugo Chavez, he told him " Por que no te callas? " I felt connected again when the King of Spain received President Chavez and gave an example of sacrifice and humility for the benefit of the Spaniards.

I felt connected to my Spanish ancestors when I saw the Spanish government helping all those grandchildren of Spaniards that can claim now the Spanish citizenship. It is a blessing for all the Cubans that now have a door to leave the country. Yes, our Spanish ancestors must be very happy in heaven knowing that Spain is helping their families!

Cuba has an embargo, the only one, and it is created by the Cuban government against the Cuban people. One day Cuba will be free again and all Cubans will be together helping to rebuild Cuba, after all we are only one people. Sincerely, Raquel
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

The visions of Cuba held by the exiles and those who remained seem unreconcilable and equally passionate.

If exiled Cubans have an opportunity to return to the island in large numbers, isn't it likely that Cuba would be thrown into chaos and civil war?

I realize that's not a "polite" question, but I'd rather understand the situation than be nicey-nice.

-----------------------

La visión de Cuba que mantiene los exiliados y la de los que se quedaron parecen irreconciliables y igualmente apasionadas.

Si los cubanos exiliados tienen la oportunidad de regresar a la isla en grandes números, ¿no es probable que Cuba sería lanzado en el caos y una guerra civil?

Me doy cuenta de que no es un pregunta "educada", pero más me gustaría entender la situación que ser azucarado.
Raquel M

Irreconciliable ?????????

Post by Raquel M »

The vision of exiles and the ones remaining in the island of Cuba is
the same.
We, the exiles have been feeding, clothing, keeping alive the Cubans
in the island. We send medicines to the sick, we send money so they
can survive. We are one people divided by an evil government.

You can see the truth by looking at the numbers of people dying on the
sea, trying to leave Cuba by anything that floats.
The Gulf of Mexico is a cemetery for many Cuban families.
Just see how many Cubans are soliciting the Spanish citizenship...

No, there will be no problems in a free Cuba, the exiles understand
that we must help rebuild Cuba...the future free government will be
elected by the Cuban people in free elections.

Nowadays the police from Oriente was sent to Havana, the police from
Havana was sent to Oriente in order to control more the police.
A civil war in Cuba will not happen, may be the first three days after
the change of government...some people in Cuba have been so upset
with the government that may be they will visit the homes of the ones
that tortured them or killed their sons or daughters, you never know
what people are going to do.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I won't argue for or against Castro, just a few observations and a request for opinions.

My college Spanish instructor (a lawyer in Cuba) and his wife (of Asturian ancestry) came to this country with absolutely nothing. He worked at menial jobs before becoming a professor of Spanish. Obviously there was something about the Castro government that motivated their journey to a new country where they didn't even speak the language. I invited them to our family home for dinner, and they have been good friends ever since.

I have long been more than a little annoyed that the prohibition against Americans travelling to Cuba was initiated by our own government, and that spending money in that country was rendered illegal by the EEUU. As an academic, I can travel to Cuba relatively freely, but others run into severe obstacles and potential fines imposed not by the Cuban government, but by our own. I do not think this is good or humanitarian.

I would be interested in learning how cubanos en los EEUU and cubanos stilll living in Cuba view the dictatorship of Fulgencio Batista, which Castro overthrew in the late 1950's, the Castro government that followed it, American policy toward Cuba before and after 1959, historical American involvement in Cuban politics, etc.
Raquel M

My own view......

Post by Raquel M »

My family was never involved in politics.....may be because the
experience with Cuba's Independence War left the family
divided.
I can say that I heard the stories about the Batista's Government in Cuba
but as I said before my family was not into politics, so my family was
never in problems with any government before 1959. The problems
started in 1959, when the Revolution started to take away the
freedoms, the properties, the banks, the schools, the pharmacies, the
theaters, the Revolution took control of the whole country.
The Cuban Government took control of all the farms, groceries,
sugar mills, hotels, resorts....and they also destroyed everything.

I am tired to listen to some kind of people talking about " the Cuban
Revolution gave free education and free medicine for all the Cubans"

I studied in Cuba, my education was not free...I had to work like all
the Cuban children must work to pay for the education...so the
" education in Cuba is not free at all " I worked in the fields, I planted,
I picked vegetables, I cleaned, I did all kind of jobs like all the Cuban
students must do to pay for the education....

The Medicine in Cuba is not free....my family pay the doctors with food,
gasoline coupons, cigarettes, bottles of run.....in order to get a decent
treatment at the clinics and hospitals...so some times my mother took
her meat ration and donated to a doctor in order to get x-rays or medicines. The tourists have the best treatment and hospitals....the
Cuban people can not visit those hospitals.....

My grandmother came to the USA, she sent us clothes, money, medicines,
15 years later my family came to the USA, so my mother was in charge to
take care of the other family members in Cuba...now I am in charge to
take care of my aunt, cousins and their children in Cuba, I sent them
money, clothes, shoes, medicines.

We came to the USA like 98% of the Cubans in the USA, we came only
with the clothes we had on, we were not allowed to bring money, jewelry
or possessions. When a Cuban family come to the USA, everybody try to
give them money, used items like clothes, pots and glasses, etc so they
can start their new life. My father used to be an attorney....my father
started cleaning floors and he was always happy because he saved his
family from Cuba's evil government.
When we got permission to leave Cuba, we had to leave our home, our
possessions, everything to the Government....my two cats were inside the
house...my neighbors told me later that after 25 days the Government
opened my former house and my two poor cats came out of the house
running very fast ( my beloved Alain and Alana )

There's no such thing as an " Embargo against Cuba" Cuba buys whatever
Cuba wants to buy...the only " Embargo" is the one created by the Cuban
Government against the Cuban people.

My father was a member of a very long family ( 18 brothers and sisters)
my mother side of the family was very long too ( 13 brothers and sisters)
a devout catholic family ( or not TV ! ). After 1961 when the President
Kennedy decided to stop the Bay of Pigs Invassion and traded Cuba with
the Soviet Union by signing the" Kennedy Kruschev Pact ", my father
decided to leave Cuba with his immediate family . It was very hard for my
father to leave his family behind ( brothers and sisters, etc) but he said
he needed to save us. My father helped his family as soon as he came to
the USA, he sent them medicines, clothes, everything they needed, I took
care of that part of the family until my other cousins started coming so now
I only take care of my mother's part of the family.

The Cuban Government is in need of dollars, euros, tourism, I do not
think it is time to give them a hand. Our family in Cuba need our help
but for sure the Cuban Government will not get our tourism !

Return to “Immigrant Stories - Historias inmigrantes”