FAQFAQ          SearchSearch          MemberlistMemberlist          UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile          Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages          Log inLog in          
spanish good luck symbols

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Asturian-American Migration Forum Index -> Visual Art - Artes visuales
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trina Gonzalez

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: spanish good luck symbols Reply with quote

growing up my sisters and I each got a little silver bracelet with one black fist and one white fist that we called a punyes (sorry about the spelling). I of course lost mine at least 50 years ago and was wondering where i could get another one After looking on the internet I found out the fists were called figa or higa. Can anyone help me?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean a 'figa' It is an amulet agains the devils eye. Usually made of jet black.
Traditionally the Asturian mothers used to put them besides the new born babies to protect them against diseases.
They are easily available in any Handicraft shop/market all over Asturias.

Te refieres a una figa. Es un amuleto contra el mal de ojo. Normalmente hecho de azabache.
Antiguamente las madres asturianas solian colocarlos al lado de los recien nacidos para protegerlos de enfermedades.
Se encuentran facialmente en tiendas de artesania y mercados de toda Asturias.

[/img][/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Asturian-American Migration Forum Index -> Visual Art - Artes visuales All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: