Janice Alvarez/grandparents Candido/Consuelo, Donora PA

Tell us your story!<br>
¡Dinos tu historia!

Moderator: Moderators

rosiejan

Janice Alvarez/grandparents Candido/Consuelo, Donora PA

Post by rosiejan »

Hi - My name is Janice Alvarez. I've just recently begun some geneology work on my father's side of the family, Julio Alvarez - my grandpa was Candido, grandma Consuelo, born in Arturias. My dad had 4 brothers - Manuel, Jose, Ramon and Gavino - all grew up in Donora PA except for a short time living in West Virginia. I have already found here, in one day, 2 cousins and my father's cousin!!! Very very excited to be here and see what else I can find!
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome, Janice! We're pleased you've had such success already.

---------------------------

¡Bienvenida, Janice! Nos alegre que ya tienes tanto éxito.
rosiejan

Janice Alvarez/Grandparents Candido/Consuelo, Donora

Post by rosiejan »

Thank you, Art! It's amazing how much success I've had just in one week, thanks so much! I'm thrilled!
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Janice
I know that my grandmother, as well as my mother, knew Candido. As a young boy I can remember hearing them talk about Candido.
rosiejan

Post by rosiejan »

Hello, Ron! I would be thrilled to hear anything you remember! I never got to meet my grandpa Candido - he passed away 4 months before I was born. It makes me very said that I didn't get to know him. I got a photo from my cousin the other day I will share here. BACK ROW, LEFT TO RIGHT: My mother, Patricia, one of my aunts (I don't remember her name, they weren't married long) holding my brother, Bob; Uncle Ramon, grandma Conseulo, Thelma (Jose's wife), grandpa Candido, Rita (Gavino's wife).

BOTTOM ROW LEFT TO RIGHT: My father, Julio, JoAnn (Jose's daughter), Linda (Manuel's daughter) and Manuel. Uncle Gavino and his children weren't in the photo and Uncle Jose was taking the photo, so not in it.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Janice
Well, you know as a young boy I would sit in my grandmother's kitchen and listen to my mom and grandmother talk about the people they knew. They'd talk about if one of them were sick or passed on or one of the kids went into the service, just small talk. Some of the names I had no idea of who they were, like Candido. I know the name, but not the man. But looking at your photo, the older man standing on the right with the glasses looks familiar. It was a long time ago.

Going back to my grandmother's kitchen, when they talked about things they didn't want me to hear they would say, "Ron go out and play." The things you remember.
rosiejan

Post by rosiejan »

Yes, the man on the right is Grandpa Candido. That's funny that they told you to go out and play. They had it easy with me, because only Spanish was spoken in Grandma's house and I didn't know the launguage, so they never had to worry about me knowing what they were saying. I remember being so fascinated, though - grandma's house with all the wonderful smells of her cooking, all the delicious food, and my dad and all his brothers there, all chattering away in Spanish...it was like the whole house was just permeated with love and happiness.
Sonia Garcia Mandzok

Janice Alvarez/Grandparents/Family

Post by Sonia Garcia Mandzok »

Janice,

I saw the picture of your family you posted; if I'm not mistaken it was taken in the alley between 6th & 7th st in Donora. JoAnn in the picture was one of my best friends in grade school and until she moved to Florida in the 7th grade. We wrote to each other for a while and then, well we lost contact. I've thought of her many times over the years. I hope she is well and if you have contact with her, give her my best.
rosiejan

Post by rosiejan »

Hello, Sonia! Yes, that is where the photo was taken! I have been in touch with my cousin JoAnn, it has been so much fun. I will tell her I heard from you here and maybe the two of you can get in touch also!
Sonia Garcia Mandzok

Janice Alvarez/Family

Janice,

It feels my heart with joy that you have been so successful in finding your family. I have not been so lucky in my search. The thread of my family in Spain is thin and it seems we are the last of the family. And the thread here in the US has disappeared. I hope JoAnn remembers me.
rosiejan

Post by rosiejan »

I'm sorry you're not having more luck :( I hope at some point, you do find some relatives in Spain or here in the US. I do feel very blessed, I never thought I would find all of them. My mother died 3 years ago, and all that's left now is my sister and brother, one aunt on my mother's side and some cousins and second cousins on my mother's side. I never thought I would find even one family member on my father's side and have already found so many. My cousin Joann, her brother Artie, my cousin Alan and his sister Arlyne, My grandmother's sister's son, Jose Ramon and his sister, Conchita, both of whom I talk with daily and are giving me so much information and sending me so many photos. I wish my father were here to see it, but somehow, I believe he knows.
Sonia Garcia Mandzok

Janice Alvarez/Grandparents/Family

Janice,

I still have family in Aviles, Spain and I visit them every two or three years but we are all that is left. The thread of the Garcia family disappeared in the US, but I know there is (was) family in St. Louis and I had first cousins Detroit and possibly family ties in Langeloth. Perhaps someday, who knows? I graduated with your cousin Alan from Donora and hopefully he'll be at our 50th reunion next year. I plan to be, but then again, who knows? Enjoy your new found family to the fullest.
rosiejan

Post by rosiejan »

My dream is to go to Aviles soon and meet all those I've found and have been talking with. It looks so beautiful there! I will let Alan know also that I've talked with you!

Return to “Introduction of Members - Presentación de miembros”