gaiteiros en Manila? bagpipers in Manila?

Group &amp; solo; voice, bagpipe, guitar, drum, etc.<br>
Banda y solo; voz, gaita, guitarra, tambor, etc.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Chris, Moderators

is

gaiteiros en Manila? bagpipers in Manila?

Post by is »

Andamos a la gueta d'un/una gaiteiru/gaiteira pa Manila, Filipinas. Ia pal casoriu d'un asturianu cona moza filipina la selmana del 2 de mayo 2009. Si dalgun de vos conoz a musicos asturianos que tean de pasu pril.li, mandaime un mensaxe privau ou poneilo aiqui no foru. Ia urxente!

P.D. Nun importa si la gaita ia gallega, bretona, irlandesa, escocesa...

----

We're desperately looking for a bagpiper to play at a wedding of a friend in Manila, Philippines. It takes place the weekend of May 2, 2009. The Asturian bridegroom would like to have someone play bagpipe music for the guests. If anybody knows of musicians traveling through the area send me a private message or post it on the forum.

P.S. It doesn't matter if the bagpipe is Galician, Breton, Irish or Scottish...
Bob

Post by Bob »

I thihnk the closest centro asturiano is in Hong Komg. The contact information is:

Dirección: 3304 Tower One. Lippo Centre 89. Queensway
Población: Hong Kong
País: CHINA

Teléfono:
00 852 23 69 40 40,
Fax: 00 852 23 69 95 26

The only other one in Asia is in Beijing. There is also a centro asturiano in Australia:

Dirección: 59 Johnston Street - P.O. Box 128 - Fitzroy - Vic 3065
Población: Melbourne
País: AUSTRALIA

Teléfono:
00 613 93 70 47 21,
Fax: 00 613 94 15 60 10

[Art: correo quitado, pero también enviado a Is.]
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Is, it's too bad you can't do it. You'll be good enough after a year or two of work, though, so keep practicing. (Or start now!)

Here's a Scottish piper:
http://www.pinoypiper.com/
http://www.bagpiper.com/webpage/n-6253/ ... pines.html
He does weddings!

-------------------

Is, que pena que no puedes hacerlo ti mismo. Si practicas, después de un año o dos, tendrás la habilidad tocar bien, entonces sigue practicando. (!o empieza ahora!)

Aquí es un gaitero escoces:
http://www.pinoypiper.com/
http://www.bagpiper.com/webpage/n-6253/ ... pines.html
¡Toca para bodas!
is

Post by is »

Thanks to both of you! I've already forwarded the info to the friend who's getting married. Art, I've also forwarded the number of Roy Espiritu, the Filipino-Scottish piper in Manila. Hopefully they're still on time to book him.

As for my own piping skills, they are, let's say, brutally embryonic. The bagpipe was repaired by Carlos in Xixon (it turns out it wasn't my fault; problem with the reed or payuela). With a little practice, I will improve on the historical record:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWI792KiHUw
Last edited by is on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Your gaita video is like me escandiando sidra in AsturianUS. The comments on your video are hilarious. Live boldly!

What does "melgueira" mean?

-----------------------

Tu video de la gaita es como la aparición mía escandiando sidra en el documental AsturianUS. Los comentarios sobre tu vídeo son comiquísimo. ¡Vive con valentía!

¿Qué significa "melgueira"?
is

Post by is »

Art wrote:What does "melgueira" mean? ¿Qué significa "melgueira"?
El raigon de la palabra ia mel- (miel). Por eso aquel.lo de la gaita melquera, un son que fai que los asturianos sientan la musiquina de la gaita cumo dalgo dulce--inda mas si tan l.lonxe de la tierrina.

----

The root of the word (mel-) comes from honey. That's why people speak of the gaita melguera: the sweet-sounding music of the bagpipe, which becomes all the sweeter the further you are from la tierrina.
tierradenadie

Post by tierradenadie »

que lindo, paul. { sólo he comenzado a tocar una flauta dulce que he comprado en una tienda de libros in chinatown por 12 dolares hace unos meses. si yo la tocaría en una boda, creo, podría causar la cancelación inmediata de esta }

p.d.: ¿qué te parece tocar esto ?:

http://www.tasis.ch/uploaded/Headmaster ... horn-L.jpg

{ kannste auch locker in die hosentasche stecken auf deinen weltreisen ~ irgendwie }
Llames

Post by Llames »

Carlos ... Is the one with the workshop in Cimavilla? We, The Asturian Center of Mallorca, were talking with him to buy 4 bagpipes (we have to wait 6 or 7 months for each) because we want to start a bagpipe's class for beginners.

He told us about another possibility (each bagpipe cost 800 euros). A guy in Uviéu, Diogenes, builds some flutes with bagpipe fingering (about 35 euros each). I think it is a good way to start learning (and cheaper) and you will learn after the whole issue of the bellows and the like.

Fingering a flute and a bagpipe is different, tierradenadie, but if you play a flute then you have half way walked to become an American-asturian piper jejeje
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I'll second Llames. Diogenes' practice puntero is very nice. He uses the fipple (head) of a wooden recorder and adds a new bottom drilled to match the fingering of the gaita asturiana. Its very sweet sounding and accurately correspond to most of the potential of the gaita. The only problem is that ít is wood, so it can crack and it will absorb moisture, so it requires breaking in slowly. Also, it seems susceptible to clogging, meaning that moisture will get in the airway and stop it from playing.

Peter, your plastic recorder can also be easily converted. I have Carlos' instructions, but I'm still tweaking the "recipe" to make the recorder sound more in tune with itself when retrofitted to play like a gaita. It's a much harsher instrument, not as fun to play.

Carlos is a very meticulous and trustworthy gaita maker. His website is: www.GaitaAsturiana.com

----------------------

Secundo a la idea de Llames. El puntero de práctica de Diógenes es muy agradable. Él usa la fipple (cuerpo) de un flauta dulce de madera y añade un nueva parte de abajo perforado para que coincida con la digitación de la gaita asturiana. Su sonido es muy dulce y corresponde exactamente a la mayoría de los potenciales de la gaita. El único problema es que es de madera, por lo que puede agrietarse y que absorbe la humedad, por lo que requiere empezar usar lentamente. Además, parece susceptible a la obstrucción, lo que significa que la humedad se pondrá en la vía aérea y evitar que suena.

Peter, tu flauta de plástico también puede seer convertido fácilmente. Tengo las instrucciones de Carlos, pero sigo intentando ajustar la "receta" para hacer que la flauta suene más en acorde con ella misma cuando retroadaptado para tocar (digitar) como una gaita. Es un instrumento mucho más áspero o discordante, no es tan divertido para tocar.

Carlos es una fabricante de gaitas muy cuidadoso y digna de confianza. Su sitio web es: www.GaitaAsturiana.com

Return to “Music - Música”