Eva Longoria

Write about your favorite Asturian<br>
Escriba de un asturiano favorito

Moderator: Moderators

Berodia

Eva Longoria

Post by Berodia »

Ya que estáis nombrando alguna que otra descendiente de algún asturiano, voy nombrar una,de tamaño escaso, pero que está bien buena: Eva Longoria.

Saludos.

----
Trans. Is

Since you're mentioning people descended from Asturians, I'd like to nominate someone who is not excessively tall, but who is nonetheless quite a bombshell: Eva Longoria.

Greetings.
Bertin

Post by Bertin »

Es cierto, Eva Longoria dice que es descendiente de un conquistador español de origen asturiano... y de Llanes, parece presumir de ello. 8)

----
Trans. Is

True, Eva Longoria says she can trace her roots to a Spanish conquistador, originally an Asturian...from Llanes. It looks like she's rather proud of the fact too.
Diestru

Post by Diestru »

De facto la sua familia yía del Conceyu Balmonte Miranda, óu hai un pueblu que se llama Llongoria, tamién. (Yía Llongoria, más bien. Longoria yía una castellanización d'esi topónimu)

Creo amái que los buelos viven inda por Balmonte... pa esa parte d'ente Salas ya Balmonte houbo emigración faza los EEXX.

Eva Longoria yía del Occidente d'Asturias!!

----
Trans. Is

Actually, her family is from County Balmonte Miranda (Belmonte de Miranda) where there's a village called Llongoria. (The place name is Llongoria. Longoria is the Castilian Spanish version.)

I think her grandparents still live in Balmonte...there was quite a bit of outward migration toward the US in that district between County Salas and Balmonte.

So, Eva Longoria may actually be West Asturian!!
is

Post by is »

I guess you mean the one in Desperate Housewives who's married to the guy that ends up in prison? I've only seen the show in 2-minute installments...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eva_Longoria_Parker

The wiki says she was born in Corpus Christi. But it's interesting that both Llanes and Balmonte Miranda are claiming her as their own. Diestru, where exactly is Llongoria?

----

Entos tratase de la rapaza en 'Muyeres Desesperadas' que tien al sou home na carcel? Namai vi pizquinos d'esti programa, non mas de 2 minutos...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eva_Longoria_Parker

El wiki diz que naceu en Corpus Christi. Pero ia interesante que los conceyos de Llanes ya Balmonte quieran fadese con el.la. Diestru, u ta Llongoria no conceyo Balmonte?
Bob

Post by Bob »

Llongoria is on AA-15 near AS-227 in central Asturias, about two thirds of the way from Pravia to Belmonte. It's very small.
Diestru

Post by Diestru »

Llongoria ta en Balmonte a la entrada la Ría Miranda, pienso, si nun m'enquivoco. Yía un puebliquín, una aldeaca de lo más corriente. Si nun toi mal yía lo qu'empata na carretera que tira pa Balmonte capital con El Ponte Samartín

You nun veo la serie, pero sí, yía la miesma. Polo visto ya según me cuntaran los buelos viven inda nesi conceyu, son mayorinos. Paez ser que fai non muncho fora vellos...
Last edited by Diestru on Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diestru

Post by Diestru »

Bob wrote:Llongoria is on AA-15 near AS-227 in central Asturias, about two thirds of the way from Pravia to Belmonte. It's very small.

Yes, but it's near Balmonte. It's the same area (¿Area= Conceyu?)
Sad_Aspie

Post by Sad_Aspie »

Yes, but it's near Balmonte. It's the same area (¿Area= Conceyu?)
Actually, it belongs to Balmonte (the County). It's a rather small and shabby village, probably the poorest in the whole County.
As far as I know, this whole story of Longoria's grandparents still living in the village is nothing but a hoax. It is widely spread through Somiedu that Eva Longoria's ancestors migrated to Cuba in the early XIXth Century, moving afterwards to the States, so it might be a bit difficult to know whether some of the present inhabitants may have any real connection to her. What I've also heard is that she's actually planning a trip to the village... I pray to God either she doesn't come over there or the authorities rush to reconstruct much of the infrastructure.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana
En realidad pertenece a Balmonte (al Concejo). Es un pueblo bastante pequeño y poco cuidado, probablemente el más pobre de todo el concejo.

Por lo que sé, toda esta historia de que los abuelos de Longoria aún viven en el pueblo es un bulo. Es de sobra sabido en todo Somiedu que los antepasados de Eva Longoria emigraron a Cuba a principios del s. XIX, trasladándose posteriormente a EE.UU., así que debería ser un poco difícil saber si alguno de los actuales habitantes puede tener algún tipo de relación con ella. También he oído que ella está planeando un viaje al pueblo… Le pido a Dios que no venga o las autoridades se apresurarán a restaurar muchas de las infraestructuras.
Raul Longoria

Eva Longoria

Post by Raul Longoria »

To set the record straight, Eva's first Longoria ancestor (and mine) to migrate to Mexico was Lorenzo Suarez de Longoria. Lorenzo came to Mexico in 1603 when he was only about 11 years old; he came as a "criado" for his uncle Pedro Suarez de Longoria who had just been named Oidor in the Real Audencia de Mexico. As far as I know there is no record of Lorenzo ever setting foot in Spain again.

Lorenzo's parents were Alonso de la Pontiga and Inez Menendez de Valdes. His paternal grandparents were Pedro de Longoria and Catalina Suarez. All were from the Concejo de Belmonte de Miranda, probably from Llongoria and/or Pumarada.

One of Lorenzo's great-great-grandsons, Pedro Longoria, received a land grant from the King of Spain in 1767. This land grant was located in what was then the Mexican state of Nuevo Santander, but after the War between the USA and Mexico, it officially became part of the state of Texas in 1848. This Pedro Longoria was an ancestor of Eva, so Eva's Longoria ancestors have been in the state of Texas since then.
-------------------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana
Por aclarar las cosas: Lorenzo Suárez de Longoria fue el primer antepasado de Eva Longoria (y mío) que emigró a Méjico. Lorenzo llegó a Méjico en 1603, cuando contaba con tan solo 11 años; llegó como “criado” de su tío Pedro Suárez de Longoria, quien acababa de ser nombrado Oidor en la Real Audiencia de Méjico. Hasta donde sé, no hay constancia de que Lorenzo volviera a poner un pie en España.

Los padres de Lorenzo eran Alonso de la Pontiga e Inez Menéndez de Valdés. Sus abuelos paternos, Pedro de Longoria y Catalina Suárez. Todos eran oriundos del Concejo de Belmonte de Miranda, probablemente de Llongoria y/o Pumarada.

Uno de los bisnietos de Lorenzo, Pedro Longoria, recibió del Rey de España en 1767 una tierra en el estado mejicano de Nuevo Santander, que tras la guerra entre EE.UU. y Méjico se convirtió oficialemente en parte del estado de Tejas en 1848. Este Pedro Longoria es el antepasado de Eva, por lo que los antepasados de Eva han vivido en el estado de Tejas desde entonces.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks for that correction, Raul.

People are usually surprised when I say that a number of Asturians settled in the American Southwest when it was still Spanish. I wonder if that's because we think of the people in Mexico as "Mexicans" rather than thinking about the waves of immigration that formed the country of Mexico (and the US).

---------------

Gracias por la corrección, Raúl.

Usualmente se sorprenden cuando digo que un número de asturianos se establecieron en el suroeste de Estados Unidos cuando todavía era español. Me pregunto si eso es porque pensamos en la gente en México como "mexicanos" en lugar de pensar en las olas de inmigración que se formó el país de México (y los EE.UU.).
Raul Longoria

Post by Raul Longoria »

Art, I think you might be right. Perhaps it is because many Americans study only the history of the USA and not the history of other countries. Northern Mexico is similar to the original 13 colonies of the USA in one respect -- how the immigrants named their cities and provinces. Whereas the USA has the "New England states", New York, New Jersey, New Hampshire, etc., Mexico had Nueva Galicia, Nueva Viscaya, Nuevo Santander, and Nuevo Leon, all named after regions or cities in northern Spain. Only the modern Mexican state of Nuevo Leon has retained its original name. However, I don't think there was ever a province in Mexico called Nueva Asturias.
mlba

me parece que de Española Eva Longora ya no tiene nada...

Post by mlba »

Me parece un poco curioso y un tanto absurdo que se diga que Eva Longoria es de Origen español con tantos y tantos no digamos años o decadas mas bien son siglos ...y mas "siglos" los que que han pasado desde que algún antepasado llegó a América..(me refiero al continente)

El ser medianamente famoso no es sufuciente para decir que porque algún antepasado de hace SIGLOS fué de origen español ahora ella es de origen español.. porque si por esa regla medimos.. todo México es de origen español.. lo cual es eveidentemente falso... los mexicanos somos el resultado de muchas culturas y razas que llegaron y formaron sus familias en México...

O lo puedo plantear de otra manera es tanto como decir que los descendientes de musulmanes de varias generaciones que hay en la peninsula Iberica, resultado de la invasión musulmana en este caso también de hace varios siglos son de origen musulmán.

considero que hay que diferenciar entre apellido de origen español.. a ser realmente de origen español..

Mi caso es igual al de Eva Longoria... y al de miles y miles de mexicanos... en 1770 llegó un español a México y varios siglos después aquí estoy Yo como resultado... considero que poca sangre española debe correr por mis venas.. con todo y que mi apellido es poco común y evidentmente español.

No es renegar del origen español del apellido ..faltaría mas, pero de eso a ser de origen español después de tantos siglos hay un buen trecho...
Raymond

American Southwest Asturians

Post by Raymond »

Raul,

You make a great point about the importance of history with regard to the dynamics of origin. Your post on Eva is very helpful - and in fact your website has helped me as well. I am a descendent of Francisco de la Fuentes Y Fernandez, married in Saltillo, parents Toribio de la Fuentes & Catarina Fernandez from Iglesia Santa Maria de Limanes, Asturias.

I am not sure what point "mlba" is making, as it is sort of the nature of ancestral research to trace origin. Most people have many sources that are woven from the threads of their ancestors across the ages. I am not sure that she is somehow making some claim to fame relative to being of Spanish origin - but rather working the deepest roots possible into her past. Although, clearly her Spanish origin is a fact.

Anyway, I liken the history of the Southwest to be a sort of "frontier" or "borderland" existence where many cultures mixed over time. Tlaxcalans (Indians who helped Cortez defeat the Aztecs) & helped settle northern portions of Mexico; North American indians such as the Commanche, Cherokee, Lipan, Apache, Kickapoo, Karakawas, Ais, Caddo, and many others; Spaniards (as well as native born eventually establishing independence for Mexicans); Irish; English; and French - all mixed it up a bit in the borderland region.

My wife's ancestors are from a different "borderland" in northeastern England - Northumbria. We have traced her back to noble landholders given land by William the Conqueror (so hence she has some strong Norman descent). This border region experienced tremendous mixing of English (Anglo-Saxon coming from some Germanic tribes), Scottish, and Norman (from the Northern coast of France - Normandy). There are many parallels for the way these cultures mixed over time. It is precisely these dynamics that make this research so interesting.

It is also interesting to make this post on Columbus Day - he an Italian, spurned by Portugal, ultimately sponsored by Ferdinand & Isabella. And was not Asturias a region of conflict between the Celtic tribal origins, the Romans, the Visigoths, and ultimately the reconquest of the Moors?

Thanks for your interesting input and research.
Ray

Return to “Asturian Hall of Fame - Sala de fama asturiana”