traditional Christmas cookies

Flan, rice pudding, sweets, fruit, etc.<br>
Flan, arroz con leche, dulces, frutas, etc.

Moderators: almudena, Moderators

pblanco

traditional Christmas cookies

Post by pblanco »

I'm looking traditional Spanish Christmas cookies and recipes. Any suggestions or names? I can research on the web?

Thanks
Blanco
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Do the Spanish make cookies? I don't think they're a traditional holiday food. (Let me know if I'm wrong. I don't know the desserts and sweets very well.)

Turrón is popular for the holidays, I think, and assortments of sweets made with almond paste, like marzipan.

--------------

¿Hacen galletas los españoles? No creo que es una alimento tradicional de las fiestas invernales. (Dime si no es así. No conozco muy bien los postres y dulces.)

Turrón es popular durante las fiestas del invierno, creo, y surtidos de dulces de almendra, como mazapán.
Eli

Post by Eli »

¿Hacen galletas los españoles? No creo que es una alimento tradicional de las fiestas invernales. (Dime si no es así. No conozco muy bien los postres y dulces.)
Y claro! :-)

comence a copiar los titulos de un libro de cocina y reposteria que en algun momento le pertenecio a mi madre
Marron Glace
Turron de Alba
Tocino de cielo
Besitos de ninfa
Besitos de coco
Negritos
Manjar del cielo
Petits fours (aunque este me suena a tener influencia francesa)
Postre espuma
Postre de Pascua
Cocaditas
Trocitos
Frutas abrillantadas
Suspiritos

Pero se me ocurre que seria mucho mas facil poner un enlace a una pagina de reposteria Española .... http://www.euroresidentes.com/Recetas/p ... eliciosos/
fijate que ahi tienen 'Teja de almendra'.... y yo que estaba bajo la impresion de que las tejas eran Peruanas... Ha!
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

That's interesting, Elí. I've never encountered home-baked cookies, just store-bought cookies.

----------------

Qué interesante, Elí. Nunca he encontrado galletas cocidas en casa, sólo galletas compradas en las tiendas.
Ron Gonzalez

Traditiona Christmas Cookies

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Art
You must come to visit , Sandra makes a lot of cookies for Christmas. There will be trays of cookies everywhere, then she gives them all away to friends and family . I do eat my share
Bob

Post by Bob »

Until last year, when she slowed down a bit, my mother (age 87) used to make over 5000 Christmas cookies - she counted them and kept track - every year, as well a filled breads, fruitcakes, etc. My dad contributed another few hundred or so.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving in the EEUU. On Friday my kids will gather with me and Evelyn to make chorizos.
Betty

Spanish Christmas Cookies

Post by Betty »

Oh, how I looked forward to Christmas and Mantecao!!!
ONLY at Christmas... here is the recipe "de mi abuela... " I followed her around her kitchen measuring everything after she had "measured" with her coffee-cup-without-the-handle -- HER measuring cup.
These are Wonderful! But, you need large cookie cutters. They just fall apart if you attempt to make then too small. We called them "Mantecas"
Mantecao
3# Crisco or Lard
1# box of powdered sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
5 shakes ground cloves
5 shakes of Cinnamon
1 tsp of pure Anise Oil - NOT extract

1. Cream all above with a spoon or mixer.
2. Sift 5 lbs of all-purpose flour gradually into this mixture. Work it with
your hands. It will be a bit stiff.
3. Pat it out with your hands onto the surface where you will cut with
cookie cutters; a little at a time until it is 1/2" thick. (rolling pins just
don't work, I've tried it.) It's kind of like smoothing pizza dough into a
pan.
4. Cut with cookie cutters. (Large, not the tiny ones, it won't hold
together.)
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until just barely light brown.
Do not overbake!
Cool just a little bit and then sift powdered sugar over them... It will
just slightly melt.

We still Love Mantecas for Christmas! If someone makes this recipe, let me know how you like them.
Betty
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Art wrote:That's interesting, Elí. I've never encountered home-baked cookies, just store-bought cookies.
Let me rephrase that. As kids my mom made lots of kinds of cookies, but I think they were all from Betty Crocker and similar recipe books. What I haven't seen is families in Spain making cookies. When I lived in Madrid many apartments didn't even have ovens, so there would have been no way to make cookies. I've also never seen my cousins, who are excellent cooks, make cookies, even though I've been to their home for the winter holidays.

----------------
Art wrote:Qué interesante, Elí. Nunca he encontrado galletas cocidas en casa, sólo galletas compradas en las tiendas.
Dejarme reformular eso. Cuanoo estaba niño, mi madre hizo muchos clases de galletas, pero pienso que eran todas del libro de cocina de Betty Crocker y otros similares. No he visto familias en España que hacen galletas en casa. Cuando viví en Madrid muchos apartamentos no tenían ni hornos, entonces no habrían sido ninguna manera de hacer galletas. También nunca he visto que mis primas, quienes son cocineras estupendas, hagan las galletas, aun cuando he estado a su hogar para los días de fiesta de invierno.
Donna Alvarez

Post by Donna Alvarez »

Similar w/ anise seed
Biscochito Recipe

Combine 3 or 4 eggs (depending on size) with 1 cup of sugar, add 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and 1 cup of lard. Mix ingredients thoroughly.

After eggs, sugar and vanilla are mixed thoroughly, add 1 teaspoon baking powder, and 4 cups of flour. Mix in 1 tablespoon anise seeds (crushed to bring out the flavor). Mix into a dough, it should be the consistency of pie crust dough.

Roll out dough thick or thin (however you prefer). Cut cookies and dip in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar before baking.

Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 Minutes

Biscochito Facts:
Biscochito (or bizcochito) is a crispy butter cookie flavored with anise and cinnamon.

It was developed by residents of New Mexico over the centuries from the first Spanish colonists of New Mexico. The recipe for making the cookie has been greatly influenced not only by local and indigenous customs, but also by recipes brought to New Mexico by immigrants from other Hispanic countries. It is served during special celebrations, such as wedding receptions, baptisms, and religious holidays (especially during the Christmas season).
It is usually eaten with morning coffee or milk, after lunch in the early afternoon, or dinner late at night. The cookie is seldom known outside its various territories.
In 1989, the U.S. State of New Mexico adopted the biscochito as its official state cookie. This act made New Mexico the first state to have an official cookie. It was chosen to help maintain traditional home-baked cookery.

Return to “Desserts - Postres”