Arroz con Leche ala "Las Hermanas Fernandez"

Flan, rice pudding, sweets, fruit, etc.<br>
Flan, arroz con leche, dulces, frutas, etc.

Moderators: almudena, Moderators

El Tampeno

Arroz con Leche ala "Las Hermanas Fernandez"

Post by El Tampeno »

This is my favorite recipe for Arroz con Leche. It's from family friends who are Asturiano, but were raised in La Habana. They came to Tampa after the Cuban Revolution. As was common with many Spanish dishes in that country, this one took on a slight Cuban accent! :D

INGREDIENTS: makes 4 large servings

1/2 cup VALENCIA rice. this rice is "pearl"-shaped, as opposed to long.
1 cinnamon stick
2 inches of lemon peel (avoid the white part-makes a bitter taste)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 can condensed milk PLUS 3 cans water (combined)
1 1/2 cups water
approx. 1/4 cup GOLDEN raisins, not black; cover with rum and set aside to soak during the cooking period.
2 or 3 addl cinnamon sticks, addl lemon peel, ground cinnamon (optional)

PROCEDURE:

Rinse rice to complete clarity and drain.
Place rice in a large, heavy metal /iron pot with high sides.
Add: 1 1/2 cup water, cinnamon stick, salt and lemon peel.
Place over medium heat (UNCOVERED) and bring to a SLOW boil/simmer.
......continue to slow-boil until almost all water is gone. Do not allow rice
to dry-out completely.

Add the previously-combined 1 can condensed milk/3 cans water to the rice in the pot and stir once.

Continue to heat over medium/low heat approx. 2 hrs. Should have a very slow boil. If milk rises break with wooden spoon. Do not stir if you prefer a bottom crust (we call this "raspa"), otherwise stir occasionally.
Cook until desired thickness...remember...the finished product will be thicker once it cools.

Drain the raisins of the rum and toss into the cooked mixture. Stir and immediately remove from heat.

Pour into large bowl. Garnish with 2 or 3 additional cinammon sticks, additional lemon peel and ground cinnamon (not too much). this is optional.

Chill well before serving.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I have found that the cooking time can vary from batch to batch, probably amount-sensitive. I cook until the mixture looks and stirs slightly thinner than cake batter. You'll get the hang of it with practice, subject to personal tastes as well.

If you want the "raspa" or bottom crust (I do recommend it) then make sure that you scrape the bottom of the pot with a WOODEN spoon and stir into the mixture before transferring to the bowl.

-------------------------------------------------
Translated by Almudena

Esta es mi receta favorita del "Arroz con leche". Viene de unos amigos de la familia que son asturianos pero que se criaron en La Habana. Vinieron a Tampa después de la revolucion cubana. Como es habitual con muchos platos españoles en ese país , ¡estos toman un ligero acento cubano!
Ingredientes: 4 raciones abundantes
1/2 taza de arroz VALENCIANO. Este arroz tiene forma de perla, diferente al alargado.
1 palito de canela
2 ¿pulgadas? de cáscara de limón (evitando las partes blandas -dan un sabor amargo)
1/2 cucharadita de sal
1 lata de leche condensada MAS 3 latas de agua (mezclado)
1 1/2 de agua aprox.
1/4 de taza de uvas doradas (= blancas), no negras (=rojas). Se cubren con ron y se dejan a remojo aparte durante el tiempo de cocción.
2 o 3 palitos de canela, canela en polvo (opcional) y cáscara de limón adicionales

Elaboración
Se enjuaga el arroz hasta que este limpio y se escurre. Se pone en una cazuela de metal/hierro con los bordes altos y se añade 1 1/2 taza de agua, el palo de canela y la cáscara de limón.
Se pone a fuego medio (SIN TAPAR) y se lleva ebullición a fuego muy lento.
Se deja en ebullición lenta hasta que se haya ido la mayor parte del agua, no debes dejar que el arroz se seque del todo.
Añade la leche condensada, que previamente habías mezclado con el agua (1 lata de leche condensada/ 3 latas de agua), al arroz y menéalo una vez.
Cuécelo hasta lograr el espesor deseado.....recuerda que el producto final será más espeso al enfriarse.
Escurre las uvas del ron y lánzalas a la mezcla cocinada. Agítalo e, inmediatamente, retíralo del fuego. Viértelo en una gran fuente. Adórnalo con los 2 o 3 palos de canela, la canela en polvo (no demasiada) y las cascaras de limón adicionales. Esto es opcional. Dejar enfriar bien antes de servir.

COMENTARIOS ADICIONALES: He encontrado que el tiempo puede variar de cocción a cocción, probablemente en una medida perceptible. ¿Yo lo cuezo hasta que parece una mezcla ligeramente más diluida que la de un pastel de masa batida?
Le cogerás el truquillo con práctica, somételo también al gusto personal
Si quieres la "raspa" (lo recomiendo) asegúrate de que raspas la base de la cazuela con una cuchara de MADERA y agítala dentro de la mezcla antes de pasarla a la fuente
Tony Carreno/Tampa Florida
Raquel M

WOW!!!!!

Post by Raquel M »

This is the "old" recipe for arroz con leche with the raisins!!!

yes, the only thing I put evaporated milk and regular milk
plus the condensed milk.

I was watching TV last night and I saw a program with recipes
form Venezuela and they make the " arroz con leche" with
powder rice...they cook it the same way as a regular
arroz con leche and they drink it in a cup with ice cubes!!!

Return to “Desserts - Postres”