Jose Fernandez 1800's NYC

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Oh, sorry, that's different than what I thought you were saying! That really does sound more like an alias.

I wonder if he had a number of names and went by some names with family and other names in more formal settings? Maybe our Asturian friends can tell us if that's common.

-----------

¡Ah, lo siento, esto es diferente de lo que pensé que dijiste! Realmente suena más bien como un alias.

¿Me pregunto si él tuviera un número de nombres y se llamaba por algunos nombres su familia y otros nombres en situaciones más formales? Tal vez nuestros amigos asturianos puedan decirnos si esto es común.
Last edited by Art on Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eileen Artsma

Re: Not sure

Post by Eileen Artsma »

Dear Donna

I checked the mail this morning, but I have not received it yet. Maybe tommorrow. I am sure one of those Joseph's is my Jose. I may be able to get an idea which is mine when I see it. thanks again.

Eileen
Fernandez of Brooklyn, NY
Eileen Artsma

Re: Leon Fernandez

Post by Eileen Artsma »

Donna

Leon I do not know much about and it will be wonderful to recive what you have found.

From what my grandfather told me of Jose and Catherine they were very self-diciplined people and good parents. Jose was very patriotic, became a citizen. HE did not teach his children his language as he felt they were Americans and should use the language of this country. Of course having an Irish wife had something to do with that also. Education was encouraged in the family. From what my grandfather told me Jose was a dignified person with a great deal of self-respect. Fastidious in his appearance. My grandfather look up to him a great deal. From what I have heard all in the family were successful to one extent or the other. The daughter Jenny married a wealthy Ny city contractor and lived across from Central Park. I get bits and peices of this type of info from my Mom who has met many of them when she was a child.

Eileen
Eileen Artsma

Post by Eileen Artsma »

From family stories Jose became very Americanized and may have used the name Joseph instead of Jose on official documents.
Eileen
Eileen Artsma

Re: Not sure

Post by Eileen Artsma »

Donna

Your research arrived today. Yahoo and thank you. I have gotten more details about Jose and Catherine such as the years they immigrated to the US. Catherine 1840 and Jose 1848. Given his age of marriage he came to the US around at 17. I have eliminated Oliber Juan as his pension filing appears to be 1894 and my Jose was still living in 1910. That leaves the other Joseph as potential my ancestor. So far the family recollections have been pretty accurate. All the other information you sent is my family. I have a good manigying glass so I deciphering some bad handwriting. :) thanks again

Eileen
Sweeney

Pension

Post by Sweeney »

Eileen:

There are two types of War Pensions: Invalid and Widow. The one I sent for Jose is an Invalid Pension. That means the veteran put in the paperwork himself due to a disability. If you know your Jose had no disability then that Pension probably does not list your ancestor. Since the pension was applied for years after the war you might have a situation where an old war wound started really bothering him as he grew old.

The Pension paperwork for George is a Widow's Pension that was applied by Nina in 1910. 8)
Donna

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”