Recruitment of Asturiano Workers in the early 1900s?

Retelling the stories of the Asturian-American migration.<br>
Recontando las historias de la emigración astur-americana.

Moderators: Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

DPuente

Recruitment of Asturiano Workers in the early 1900s?

Post by DPuente »

Like many of us, my grandfather came from Asturias to the US to work in the zinc and steel mills. My question to anyone is: do you know if American steel companies had a formal program to recruit workers from Asturias? Did they actually go over to Asturias to find people? If so, did they help pay passage? I have never seen anything in any of the forum topics that addresses this issue, so I suspect that the movement was more individualized, with one family member coming to the States and then writing back to others to tell them that work was available. (But if there was overseas recruitment, I suspect that it was not just in Asturias, but also Poland and other European countries that had a pool of skilled mill workers.) Anyway, any light that could be shed on this would be appreciated.
David

--------------

Como muchos de nosotros, mi abuelo llego' en America desde Asturarias para trabajar en las fabricas de zinc. Mi pregunta es: saben ustedes si las companias americanas tenian un programa para reclutar empleados Asturianos? O sea, fueron a Asturias a buscarlos? Y si la respuesta es si, las companias pagaron el precio de la nave? Nunca lei' nada en el forum sobre este tema, asi' que suspecho che la imigracion fuera mas informal, con un pariente que imigro' escribiendo a un otro en Asturias para decir que trabajo habia. Les agradesco qualquier cosa sobre este assunto. Gracias.

David Wagner
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Perhaps Bob, Suronda or another member will be able to say more about this.

It was my impression that some contacts were made in Asturias, perhaps by a representative of the company(?). The Asturians were highly desirable workers because they already knew the work well, having worked for Real Compañia Asturiana de Minas, S.A. (a zinc works) in Arnao, not too far from Avilés.

I've never heard anyone mention that the company helped families or workers get to the US. I have heard stories of family members helping each other come over.

Unfortunately, what I "know" is all based on hearsay. Anyone else?

---------------

Quizás Roberto, Suronda u otro miembro será capaz de decir más sobre esto.

Tengo la impresión que algunos contactos fueron hechos en Asturias, quizás por un representante de la empresa americana(?). Los asturianos eran trabajadores sumamente deseable porque ya sabían el trabajo bien, por trabajar para Real Compañia Asturiana de Minas, S.A. (un fabrica de zinc) en Arnao, no muy lejos de Avilés.

Nunca he oído a nadie mencionar que la empresa ayudó a familias o los trabajadores para que se transladan a EU. He oído las historias de miembros de familia que ayudan el uno al otro a venir.

Lamentablemente, lo que "sé" está todo basado en habladurías (historias cuentado por personas que no vinieron su mismos). ¿Alguien más?

Return to “Immigrant Stories - Historias inmigrantes”