Question regarding Arrojo Familly Photo

Discussion of photos in the AsturianUS.org photo album pages.<br>
Discusión de fotos en las páginas del álbum de fotos de AsturianUS.org.

Moderator: Moderators

Cheryl

Question regarding Arrojo Familly Photo

Post by Cheryl »

Hi,
My name is Cheryl Martinez Loftus.. I live in Baltimore Maryland. I recently began searching my Ancestry and found this great website!
In my search I found so far: Grandfather was Joseph Martinez.. his father and Mother was Joseph (Jose) Martinez and Teresa Arrojo Martinez. He retired from the Grasselli Chemical Factory and died in 1946. Teresa died in 1949. I know of only one other sisters of my grandfather (Joseph Jr) and her name is Lucy. On the Arrojo picture you name one of the women (on the right) as Tarina Arrojo Martinez and list her children... one is Joe and the other is Lucy. Is Tarina really Teresa my great grandmother?? If so I would love to see other pictures and get any other information you may have. Thanks so much.. love this site!!

Cheryl
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Cheryl
Tarina was my mother's aunt. Her husband's name was Jose (Carreno) Martinez. He passed away before my time, so I don't remember him, but I do remember Tarina. I don't know where he worked, but they lived in Anmoore WV. My mother and father would visit my mother's aunt, and my father's cousin in Anmoore every week or so. Do you remember any more names from you family? Lucy is still living. She is 94 and never married.
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

I do know that my father (Robert Martinez) has an aunt named Lucy that is the only one still alive and never married. I have a birth record for Lucy as Lucia Martinez, born 8/26/1926 (84 yrs old) with Jose Antonio Martinez - father and Teresa Arrozo Martinez- mother. They lived in Anmore. The name is mostly spelled Arrojo on other documents. Teresa died of stomach cancer in 1949...
What confuses me is the picture you say is Tarina and naming her six children.(Sam, Victor, Charles, Joe, Angie and Lucy)..well my Teresa Arrojo has the same childrens names!? No where is she listed as Tarina.
I thought maybe Tarina was a nickname and the picture is really my great grandmother Teresa.
As for next generation family members.... My Father Robert Martinez still lives in Clarksburg WVA. His father Joseph Martinez married Bertha Schlicker in 1926. His occupation is listed as a Lineman. His parents on the Marriage License is Joseph and Teresa Martinez from Grasselli. I dont have his date of death. He would be the "joe" you mention in your picture.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Cheryl
I know your father and I knew your grandfather. I also know the family history with your father and grandfather. Yes, this is your family. You have a few cousins around in Pa. Lucy is your grandfather's sister, the only one out of the Martinez family that is still living, but she is 94 not 84. Sometimes the birth records are a few years off. As for the name, we can ask Art, or IS if the name Tarina is Spanish for name Teresa. I don't know. But nevertheless, this is your family. My grandmother was your great grandmother's sister. Welcome to the family.
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

Oh my goodness!! Thanks so much for the information. I thought I was crazy or reading too much into the thought that we have Tarina (Teresa's) eyes! My family all thought mine and my son had her eyes. I welcome anything information you have. So you know my father?? I only met my grandfather Joseph once. He and his second wife came to visit me in Clarksburg when I was very young. I wish I had the chance to know him more. Do you have anymore pictures of the family to share? I would love to correspond with you on email about things.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Cheryl
No, the only photo that I have of her is the one in the photo album. Did you talk to your dad? He knows where to find photos of her. His aunt has a lot of photos of the family, not only of Tarina.
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

I sent him a letter explaining my research and sent the picture of Tarina to ask him if its his Grandmother. I moved to Md when I was seven and have had little communication with him since. Maybe he will contact me. He was never close with his father Joseph or his Aunt Lucy. Have you spoken with Lucy during the years?
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

That to bad. I hope he contacts you, but I must say I'm not surprised. Your father came to visit me a few times but it didn't last. Your grandfather had one brother in Donora Pa and a sister in Langeloth Pa, so your father has cousins that live there now. That will give you more to work on, if you want to.
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

I have been working on my ancestry from my fathers side and his mother's (Bertha) side. Bertha's family came to WVA to work at the glass factory. They were from Germany. Was Teresa Arrojo (your relative) and Jose Martinez (my relative) from the same town in Asturia? Can you give me anymore information stories whatever of them? Should I post something in the genealogy section to see if others know them or would you mind chatting with me... you can use my email address if you want.
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

just a lttle remark: Tarina sounds to me like a misspelled Terina.
My name being Teresa,I know all about the variations: Teri, Tere, Terina, Teruca,etc. :lol:
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

That could be the spelling that I have is Tarina . She had a sister Primativa , but it could also be Primitva.

Return to “Our Photo Album - Nuestro álbum de fotos”