Asturias en Virginia: Potomac Celtic Festival

Happenings of interest to forum participants.<br>
Sucesos de interés a foreros.

Moderator: Moderators

Fonzu

Asturias en Virginia: Potomac Celtic Festival

Post by Fonzu »

Hello,
My name is Alfonso, I live in Maryland. Today is my first time in this foro.

It comes right on time to let you Know that last weekend it took place in Virginia the Potomac Celtic Festival, where Asturias has a representation each year. for the past 3 years Brenga Astur, a fantastic band came to the festival to perform and to represent Asturias in a variety of forms, (music, Big Stand with pictures, books etc... and workshops). Two Years ago, the festival was dedicated tu Asturias, and they doble the representation bringing also Llan de Cubel, who performed wonderfull as well.

This is a festival with an estimated of 22.000 people. and the hit of the fest. was Brenga Astur each year. Unfortunately this year they couldn't came.

There are many tents, each represent a Clan or a Society, and the festival awards the best tent of both groups, to our surprise ASTURIAS TENT, WAS THE WINNER!!!. Because this year Brenga was not here, I acepted the invitation to carry on with the Tent representing Asturias My self. I did not doubt a second, It was such an honor for me. My son who is 10 years old, with a new asturian dress (porruanu) carried the asturian Flag at the parade for the official opening ceremony, when he finish he said, "Dad, I feel very asturian boy right now".

To every one, but specially to those of you who lived in this side of the ocean, I will invite you to vissit the fest. web www.potomaccelticfest.org
and I will invite you to work together in order to have better representation each year. Perhaps creating a list os members for the Asturian Society? I will send to the for some pictures.

Thanks to every one who made this foro .

Alfonso

Suronda
Co-Founder

Post by Suronda »

i Bienvenido Alfonso!

I'm glad that you found us here at the Asturian American Migration Forum, and that you've posted information about the Leesburg, VA Potomac Celtic Festival. I checked out their website and the variety of programming offered each year is great! Do you know the dates for the 2004 celebration? (Nothing like early planning, right?)

I also noticed that you mentioned an "Asturian Society." Could you tell us more about this organization? Is it located in Virginia too? I'd be interested in learning more about this Asturian community.

Again, thanks for your post, and I look forward to seeing some of the pictures.

Suronda
Fonzu

Dates for Potomac fest

Post by Fonzu »

Soronda,

The dates for 2004 Celtic fest are: June 13 and 14.

About the "Asturian Society" there is not such a organization, it is the name they (the fest. Organizers give to our Stand, and our Represetation there. How ever I kind of like that nomination and I started already gathering friends, Asturians and or asturias friends interested on create such a group. It is not necesary to be locals or Virginia's neighbors, but we certainly need help to have a decent representation in the future at the fest. as we had it in the past. even if it was the effort of few people mainly the band members.

Where are you located?

Alfonso
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hi, Alfonso,

This is exciting, that there is actually something Asturian going on in our area. I am also in Maryland, between Baltimore and Annapolis.

What kinds of help do you need with the tent?

If you would, it would also be good if you created a new topic (probably in Events) to describe your plans for the Asturian Society so others can find out about your work and join in.
Fonzu

Asturias in Wash. DC area

Post by Fonzu »

Well, the help we need is cooperation in general. from setting up the tent, to alternate people that will be in it giving information and anwsering questions to visitors, specially we need people with some kind of knowlege
about Asturias. It will be good to have at least a couple with our tradiccional dresses, possibly give a workshop, exibit pictures, books arts and crafts....,share same of the spenses for exemple bying a few cases of cider to offer to visitors .... There are a lot of needs that with the help of several people are possible.

If the band comes next year, they probably want to organize and take responsability of the tent as they did in the past. How ever, they will need even more help since they can not be performing on the stage and in the tent at the same time.

Thank you very much for your interest in this exiting project.

Do you know many asturians in the area?

Saludos
Alfonso
Art
Site Admin

clarification from Alfonso

Post by Art »

from Alfonso
Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:13 am Subject: clarifying

Asturias tent was the winner Last year.

========

Note" This post was accidently posted using the "New Topic" button instead of the "Post Reply" button. Unfortunately, there is no way to move posts into an existing thread, so I've taken the liberty of moving it here manually for Alfonso.
Art
Peter

Potomac

Post by Peter »

Hi,

I just want to clarify the history of the Potomac Festival's Asturian tent.

I was the person who initiated and financed the tent the first two years. I was working with Brenga Astur as their road manager/sound engineer the first year and was also their booking agent their second year at Potomac. The first year I asked for the space as a place to present information on the Asturian culture and as a place for the public to meet the band, hang out, etc.. With my own money, I bought the tent specifically for that purpose. Though it was like puling teeth, I managed to get Fernando Montes to bring materials for display. I brought some of my own materials as well. The evening before the festival our first year, I stayed up until 4 AM preparing materials for the tent. It was a great success, made better by Alfonso showing up with sidre. Later I was told that the members of the band did not like having to spend their time setting up or taking down the tent, that they complained that they had to spend time at the tent (which they didn't have to do). I'd estimate I spent $400-500 for all the materials and equipment, but it was well worth it.

The second year the leader of the band told me they didn't want to do the tent again because it was so much work. I told him I would take care of the tent and that no one had to help if they didn't want to. So again I brought almost all of the materials for the tent. Alfonso also brought some stuff. That year, at the last minute, the leader decided not to come to Potomac because he was mad at the rest of the band. The rest of the band came and had a great time without him. Though they didn't need to help with the tent they did, along with Alfonso and his family. To our great surprise, we won the society award that year. This was of course ironic because the leader of the band told me they didn't even want to do the tent that year. The band didn't know we won the award until the award ceremony, when we asked Alfonso to interpret the presentation so the whole band would learn about it all at once. What a great surprise. It turned out to be a great event and the band had a great time without the leader of the band.

This past year it occurred to me that though Brenga was not coming back that was no reason not to keep the tent presenting Asturian culture alive at Potomac. I wrote to the Potomac folks asking them if we could return, explaining that we had won the award last year, and if I could find folks to help, would they be willing to have us back. They had donated the space to us the two years when the band came though I wasn't sure if they would again. They did again because we had won the award the previous year. I wrote to Alfonso asking him if he was willing to take over this task (he lives in the DC area). He said he would and it all came together quite nicely. My son and I decided to go at the last minute and Alfonso and his family and friends did a great job pulling it all together in a short time.

In the future, I wish you all the best of luck with the Asturian tent. You all should also consider bringing the display to other festivals and events. America has much to learn about Astuiries.

The best of luck to you all in your efforts,

Peter
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Alfonso, is there any word on this year's festival? Is the Asturian tent going to happen again? Will any Asturian bands perform?

Return to “Events - Acontecimientos”