Llibru: Motes de Avilés / Book: Nicknames of Avilés

Vocabulary & grammar of Asturian & Bable, comparisons with Castilian.<br>
Vocabulario y gramática de asturianu y bable, comparaciones con castellano

Moderator: Moderators

vessants

Llibru: Motes de Avilés / Book: Nicknames of Avilés

Post by vessants »

Bonos díes

Escribimos pa presenta-yos el llibru Motes de Avilés qu'acabamos de publicar na editorial Vessants. Esti llibru ye'l primeru d'una coleición de llibros dedicaos a recoyer, publicar y estudiar los nomatos de la xente del conceyu d'Avilés a lo llargo de l'historia.

Nesti primer llibru presentense 800 nomatos correspondientes a un periodo que va dende finales del sieglu XIX al ultimu cuartu del sieglu XX. Trátase de nomatos individuales y de families de Avilés. Nun capítulo final preséntense tamién los nomatos que alcontramos na documentación medieval d'Avilés d'entre los sieglos XII y XV.

Prestabanos muncho contar cola so collaboración palos próximos llibros. Si recuerden nomatos individuales o de familia agradeciamos que nos los manden, indicando si son individuales, de home o de muyer, o de families.

Munches gracies pela so atención
Jorge Argüello Menéndez
Vessants, arqueologia i cultura SL
www.vessants.net/libros.htm

---------------------------
trans. Art

Greetings!

We are writing to introduce to you the book, "Motes de Avilés" [Nicknames of Avilés] which we at the publisher Vessants have just finished publishing. This book is the first in a collection of books dedicated to collecting, publishing and studying the "nomatos" [motes or nicknames] of the people of the county of Avilés throughout history.

This first book introduces 800 nicknames from the period from the end of the 19th century to the last quarter of the 20th century. It includes the "nomatos" [nicknames] of both individuals and families from Avilés. In the last chapter there are also "nomatos" found in the Medieval documents of Avilés from the 12th to 15th centuries.

We would very much enjoy your collaboration with the upcoming books. If any of you remember "nomatos" of individuals or of families, would would appreciate that you send them to us. Please let us know whether they're nicknames of individuals or of families, and if individuals, of a man or a woman.

Many thanks for your attention,
Jorge Argüello Menéndez
Vessants, arqueologia i cultura SL
www.vessants.net/libros.htm
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

That's a very interesting project, Jorge! Thanks for letting us know.

I'd suggest that people write about their memories here, to help Jorge collect the motes of the early Asturian-American immigrants.

I know of two nicknames for individuals.

My grandfather, Emilio Fernández Alvarez was known as "el pintor" because he painted both pictures (on walls and on canvas) and the interiors of homes and businesses. I think they used to call my grandmother, Aurora Menéndez Conde, something like "la del pintor". But maybe Ron or someone else would know better than I would?

I think the nickname of the widwife in Anmoore, WV, was "la meruca" (as in "the earthworm").

Who else?

-------------------------

¡Es un proyecto muy interesante, Jorge! Gracias por tu noticia.

Sugería que escribamos sobre nuestras memorias aquí, para ayudar a Jorge en coleccionar los nomatos de los inmigrantes astur-americanos primeros.

Sé de dos motes para individuos.

Mi abuelo, Emilio Fernández Alvarez era "el pintor" porque pintó tanto cuadros como el interior de casas y negocios. Creo se llamaba a mi abuela algo como "la del pintor". (Quizás Ron sabría mejor que yo.)

El mote de la partera en Anmoore, WV, era "la meruca" (como gusano), creo.

¿Quién más?

Return to “Asturian & Bable - Asturianu y bables”