Fayuelu - Pancake - Hojuela

Build your Asturian vocabulary with these definitions and examples<br />
Aumente tu vocabulario asturianu con estas definiciones y ejemplos

Moderators: Moderators, Asturian Vocabulary Posters

Terechu

Fayuelu - Pancake - Hojuela

Post by Terechu »

Fayuelu masc. noun - Pan cake made of wheat flower, eggs,milk and sugar. Almost as thin as a crêpe.
Variants: Fayuela, frixuelu.
Fayuelos are a must before the beginning of lent, to use up all existing eggs.
Los fayuelos se hacen primordialmente por carnaval, antes de que empiece la cuaresma, para gastar todos los huevos.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Are fayuelas typically eaten with fillings or sugar or ???

--------------------

Se comen las fayuelas generalmente con azúcar o rellenos o ???
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

They used to be sprinkled with sugar, which melted as the next hot pancake was piled on the precedening one, and you had a delicious, juicy pile of pancakes to eat by themselves or with compote. Our family recipe includes a generous squirt of brandy in the batter.
In recent years, as industrial sauces are more available, restaurants will serve them with whipped cream, chocolate sauce and whatnot.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks, Terechu!

Is it a breakfast food or an any-time food?

Did anyone ever spread meat or fish or vegetables on them, or roll them up like a burrito?

------------------------

Gracias, Terechu!

¿Son para el desayuno o se comen en cualquier momento?

¿Nunca se rellena con carne o pescado o verduras, ni se enrollan como un burrito?
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

I hope this link works. Here's a real master cook from La Parra (Aviles) Restaurant, who makes 400 units/day during "antroxu" with her low-tech, no frills equipment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whBKL5P8osk
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks, Terechu! I love it!

[I fixed the link. We can't embed videos on the forum, but we can post links to them.]

------------------

¡Gracias, Terechu! ¡Me encanta!

[He arreglado el enlace. No podemos mostrar un vídeo en la página del foro, pero podemos publicar un enlace a un vídeo hospedado en otra página.]
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

There were other videos on how to make them, but I thought this one was the best.

Había otros videos, pero este me pareció el mejor. :lol:
Barbara Alonso Novellino

Post by Barbara Alonso Novellino »

I remember my Grandmother making these. She always made them for a Holiday.

They were absolutely wonderful. She just put sugar on them. When she made them we would eat them as soon as they hit the plate.

Such good memories of days gone by.

Barbara
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Barbara, did you eat them as a snack, a meal, a dessert, or something else??

-------------------------

¿Bárbara, los comiste como tentempié [snack? pincho?], una comida, un postre, o algo distinto??
Barbara Alonso Novellino

My abuela always made them in the morning. We had them for breakfast. I don't ever remember her making them any other part of the day.

As I sit here, I wish I had some of them now...Boy were they good.

Barbara
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Hi there, Barbara!
Won't you make some yourself? Here is a nice recipe, but I make them even simpler:

No baking powder, no water, just milk, flour, eggs and a generous (1/4 cup) of brandy or rum. The quantities always depend on how thick you like them.

http://fartucasedeyantar.blogspot.com/2 ... guela.html
Barbara Alonso Novellino

HiTerechu,

As much as I like them, and hate to admit it, but I have never tried to make them myself. My sister told me that she tried a few weeks ago and they tasted more like a pancake or crepe.

I sent her the newest website you sent me. Problem...is hard for us to translate the ingredients.

Again...Thank You so much for your information.

By the way...how is your Grandchild? Must be pretty big now...time flies. Gianna will be 15 in June...and is going to High School...St. Anthony's.

Love Barbara
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

Barbara, I can't believe Gianna will be 15 in June! She must be a pretty young lady now! My own grandson will be 5 in May! The years go by so fast now, it makes my head spin!!

I'll make some fayuelos for dinner and will write down the recipe as I go along. I make them from scratch and don't know the quantities, because it all depends on how many I want to make, so stand by... :lol:
Terechu

Post by Terechu »

OK, here goes for those who don't speak enough Spanish...this is today's batch, because the next time I may make double the amount. :lol:

Ingredients for approx 12 units:

3 eggs
3 cups of milk
1 cup of wheat flour
2 tablespoons of brandy or rum
pinch of sant

In a large bowl, beat the eggs, add milk and flour alternatively, and beat after each addition. Add pinch of salt and brandy/rum. Beat once more and that's it!

The batter has to be liquid, but not watery.
Pour a ladle full into small frying pan (with a teaspoon of cooking oil in it)
Spread the batter over the bottom of the pan and fry over medium heat,
flip over with a spatula and fry the other side. It should be done very lightly, never burnt!
Put on a regular dinner plate, sprinkle with at least 1 tsp of sugar and start the second one.
Repeat procedure: add 1 tsp of cooking oil to pan and add one ladle full of batter, etc.

NOTE: It is important to sprinkle the sugar on each pancake as you take them from the pan.Put the next one right on top and sprinkle it right away and so on. The heat will melt the sugar and you will have sweet, juicy pile of fayuelos/frixuelos.
Charolette

Post by Charolette »

The May 2010 issue of bon appetit has some recipes by Jose Andres. They are Galician, not Asturian, but I had to try a couple. I made the Tuna Empanada, which was very good. I also made the "Dessert Pancakes with custard and berries", (he did not give a Spanish name for this). The pancakes seem to be very much like your Fayuelus. They were wonderful!

Return to “Asturian word of the week - Pallabra selmanal n'asturianu”