Spanish Soccer Teams Donora

Researching our ancestors in Asturias & America.<br>
Investigando nuestros antepasados en Asturias y America

Moderators: svgev, Maria Garcia Alvarez, Moderators

Eric Smith Fernandez

Post by Eric Smith Fernandez »

Wow, Thank you. I have some photos as well i will post later. I would like to get in contact with him "Pepe" I have been to Spain and have visited his cousins, Hijos de Pacita. Tell him my Grandfather was (E)manuel Fernandez from fairmont city, IL. Thank you for your help. I have a movie on youtube, that has more pictureit is posted here on the site.

Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-Ycq0k9wuo
Soy un estudiante. Quiero estar seguro de que estoy escribiendo bien Si alguien se da cuenta de los errores gramaticales míos en los mensajes ¿Me puede avisar?
jbarbo

Donora and other asturian stories.

Post by jbarbo »

Eric and family,
Great job on the video. The Cardinas would be proud of you. I emailed
Pepe and hopefully, he will contact you. You should post the family
photos and stories.

I went to the University of Valladolid in Valladolid, Spain. It was a great experience to meet new friends, get an education and an opportunity to travel all over Spain. My favorite trip was Asturias.
=aV2GDfaJ]Image[/url]

I lived in Valladolid with a wonderful family, Emiliana Gonzalez de Fernandez and her son, Carlos. Carlos married a friend of mine fom
Donora who was born in Asturias, Maria Carmen Menendez. Is this a
great coincidence?

Life is full of experiences... one has to live life.
Last edited by jbarbo on Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Smith Fernandez

Gracias por la información Señor,

La historia del "hilo" de mi lado de la familia es un poco malo. Mi bisabuelo o abuelo de Pepé vinó de Asturias en 1911. Quedaron la esposa y hijos en Asturias. Mi bisabuelo viajó por Clarksburg (WV), Depew (IL), y entonces conoció a mi biabuela en Springfield (IL), se mudaron a Fairmont City en 1919-1920. Se casaron en 1924 en St. Louis. Pues mi bisabuelo les abandanó a sus hijos y esposa en España. Mis primos de asturias, me conozcen. Las primas no me conozcen porque hay "mal sangre" del pecado de mi bisabuelo. Mi abuelo "manuel" conozcía a sus hermanastros, José (Cardina el mismo apodo de mi bisabuelo), Rogelía, pero Abalino se fue a cuba, y Pacita y otro Manuel quedaron en Asturias.

Yá sé que los pecados de mi bisabuelo no son mios ni la culpa mia pero pasó la vida.
Soy un estudiante. Quiero estar seguro de que estoy escribiendo bien Si alguien se da cuenta de los errores gramaticales míos en los mensajes ¿Me puede avisar?
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Eric
I seen you video on youtube ,my father came over on the Hudson sailing from Bilbao March 9,1914 arrive New York March 26,1914
Eric Smith Fernandez

Ron,

My Great-gfather José came in March 1911, but i think he sailed from La (A) Coruña. There are some errors in his naturalization papers, he filed them in 1940. I think some things could have been forgotten in 30 years. I only have copies, but i'm not sure if they were the actual ones filed. (You know, sometimes you might fill out 2 or 3 copies of something before you get it perfect.) I don't live far from the courthouse where he filed them so I will be going there as soon as I can.

I'm taking a Spanish Linguistics/Phonetics course this semester, so I have been a little busy with homework.

I really enjoyed the film 'AsturianUS" and it is a blessing to have someone like you to share your first person account of history.

Thank You,
Eric Smith Fernandez

Here is an explanation of my photos:
This is Jose' "Cardina" Ferna'ndez
[/img]
Eric Smith Fernandez

From left to right: This is Maria Cardina (with the rollers), My grandfather Manuel "Dulce" Ferna'ndez, my grandmother Freida Ferna'ndez and Jose' "Cardina" Ferna'ndez from P A and 1/2 brother to my gpa. This photo was taken in 1978 on a family visit to PA.

This is Etta Ferna'ndez (My great-gma Cardina's (Sr.) 2nd wife and Jose' Cardina Ferna'ndez taken in Fairmont City, IL 1930's.

This is Jose', Pacita, and Manuel Fernandez Alvarez (1/2 brothers and sister to my grandfather (E)manuel "dulce" Fernandez)

This is from left to right starting on couch: Eric (me), Jacob, Staci, (pictured on floor) James, and Kari Smith Ferna'ndez.

This is it for now. I will have more posted this weekend. My Greatgma (who is not Spanish) turned 100 2 days ago! My whole family is here, I will have lot's of pictures. Like I said in the movie, my mom is 1 of 10 so i may need to start my own forum for all the pics.

Hasta la proxima vez,

Eric "Quique" Smith Ferna'ndez.
fredmuniz

Donora Soccer Teams

Post by fredmuniz »

jbarbo
You probably know this but the 4th and 5th players standing in the back row are my uncles Manuel and Joe Campa. You have posted some great photos.
Thanks,
Fred
rick14

Post by rick14 »

My Great Uncle Jessie(Jesus)Rodriguez played on the soccer team in DOnora, I believe they were called the Maroons? I have posted in this forum before with pictures, I think I also posted a picture of my Great Grandfather "Porkchops" and Great Grandmother Lola. My whole family is from Donora and I love to visit whenever possible. Last time I was there Ping showed me around town and told me some great stories about my Grandpa Joe "Kans" Alvarez and my Grandma Amor, they are both doing well by the way at home in California, My Grandfather and I have been talking about taking a trip back so he can see the War memorial that was built there.
mindi

Gonzalez family in Donora

Post by mindi »

I'm a new member of this site and have barely begun researching. I was so excited to read your information on Donora, Cherryvale, and Aviles.
I'm from the Gonzalez family (later changed to Gonzales) who owned the Gonzalez Grocery store in Donora. My grandfather is Francis (Sonny) Gonzales, his father is also Francis (Frank) Gonzales, and his parents were Angel Gonzalez and Ramona (Muniz) Gonzalez.

I know Angel arrived around 1904 to Cherryvale, KS and Ramona came around 1906. I think they came to Donora a few years afterwards. I found an obituary from a great uncle, Joe M. Gonzalez which stated he was born in Aviles. Do you know what ship they might have taken? And did most of the Asturians go through Cuba and then to NY?

Thank you for any help or photos you may have!!!

BTW - Archie Rodriguez is my grandfather's cousin through his mother whom I thought was Rhoda, but you menioned "Morena"??
jbarbo

Donora Gonzalez Family

Post by jbarbo »

Mindi,

Your family in Donora was very well known and respected. When I was just a child, I remember Angel and Ramona. Morena and your great grandfather, Frank, were famous for their homemade chorizos and morcillas. Frank had the market down on Meldon St. near the Zinc Works and was an outstanding member of the Spanish Club and lived right next door to it. Your great grandmother, Helen, was heaven sent... like an angel helping and kind to many.

What a wonderful family. Your dad, Sonny was a few years older than I... but over the years we became closer friends through my cousin, Pete Lorenzo.

Studying family history is so rewarding. It takes time. You can retrace what our families endured so that we can live the lives that we have. Our family ancestors would be very proud to see how well their children and their children's children have done.

Going to Asturias and visiting the places where our family roots began... the culture, the people, the food, the air, the foot paths... you begin to understand who and what you are... the family values... rich personal history that stays with you for a lifetime. Share all of this with your children.

Post some photos.
mindi

Gonzalez family thanks!

Post by mindi »

Thank you so much for your kind words! We had so many good memories in that house next to the Spainish club. My Great-Grandma sold it around 2000 and sadly she passed away this past November.

I'm in my thirties now, so fortunately I was able to spend some time with my great-grandparents before they passed on. I'm sure you've already heard, but my grandfather, Sonny moved back to the area last year.

As far as family history, I think you said it all. We've always been a very close family and proud of our heritage, but understanding where we came from has been such a treasure. Our heritage is too precious to loose, so I hope to find out and preserve as much as possible. And of course I hope to visit Asturias someday!!

Gracias!!
toddwest63

Re: Spanish Soccer Teams Donora

Post by toddwest63 »

Greetings,

In the 1930 Donora team photo, my grandfather Joseph (Clarence) Angel Fernandez (a.k.a. Pepe) is in the front row kneeling on the mascot boys left side (to the right when looking at the picture). Another member of this site (Brian Houston) is looking for this photo as well. I have sent him a message regarding this. I have the same photo, but yours is much crisper.
Todd West Anderson
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I've moved a message from Linda Suarez (which may interest those participating in this thread) to a new location:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... 2033#22033

--------------------

He movado un mensaje por Linda Suárez (que puede interesar a los participantes en este hilo) a una nueva ubicación:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtop ... 2033#22033
lrknudson

Teresa Alvarez

Post by lrknudson »

Bob wrote:My grandmother's grandmother was Teresa Alvarez de la Campa, who was a native of San Martín de Laspra. Do you have any other information on the de la Campa family?
I believe my 3rd great-grandmother was Teresa Alvarez Noval (b. 1826), who married Francisco Campa Alonzo (b. 1824). Could this be the same person?

Return to “Genealogy - Genealogía”