The oldest street in America !

People, history, places, resources, & more.<br>
El pueblo, historia, lugares, recursos, & más.

Moderators: mariamatoyos, Moderators

ayalgueru

The oldest street in America !

Post by ayalgueru »

splish-splash
the cat washes in the river...
spring rain
Isaa Kobayashi (1816)
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks, Ayalgueru!

Essentially, the article and accompanying video says that Aviles St in Saint Augustine, Florida, has the oldest continually inhabitated residential street in the US, possible since 1565 when the city was founded by the Asturian Pedro Menéndez of Avilés.

Interestingly, the locals call Avilés "Ave-lees" (like "Ave María" and "lease a car" in English). The name of Oviedo, another city in Florida, is also mispronounced badly by locals.

----------------------

Gracias, Ayalgueru!

En esencia, el artículo y vídeo que acompaña dicen que Calle Avilés en San Agustín, Florida, es la calle residential en uso constante más antigua en los EE.UU., posiblemente desde 1565 cuando la ciudad fue fundada por el asturiano Pedro Menéndez de Avilés.

Es interesante que los lugareños llaman Avilés "Ave-lis" (como "Ave María" y "el flor lis" en español). El nombre de Oviedo, otra ciudad en La Florida también se pronunciaba mal por sus vecinos.
cando91

Post by cando91 »

Funny that you should say that about Oviedo, Florida- because when I have used the Spanish pronunciation- no one knows where I am talking about or they "correct" me and say oh you mean "Oh-vee-do"!
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Exactly!

¡Exacto!

Return to “About Asturias - Sobre Asturies”