Antonio Ribas & Mercedes González - busco a parientes

If you can't figure out where else to post, say it here.<br>
Si no sabes dónde poner tu tema, pongalo aquí.

Moderator: Moderators

janie

Antonio Ribas & Mercedes González - busco a parientes

Post by janie »

I am very new to this site. My Aunt Mary Ribas Edgar was born in Anmoore as were her three brothers and one sister. Their names were Louis Ribas, Manual Ribas, Tony Ribas and Julia Ribas Lantz. Julia was my birth mother. I was born in the same house my family had always lived in across the street from the "Carbon Plant". Julia was not married when I was born 11/30/1945 so I was given for adoption. Until 1981, I had no details of my birth family. At that time I found my Aunt Mary who now lives in Waynesville Ohio. Julia died in 1955 after marrying and giving birth to my brother and two sisters. At the time of Julia's death, my Aunt Mary and her husband, Ed, adopted my brother and two sisters.

Louis Ribas passed away 11/6/2007 and Manual Ribas on 10/21/09. Manual had worked at the Carbon Plant 44 years without missing a day and retired in 1982.

My Aunt Mary is now 85 and in very poor health. She asked me to try to locate some of her relatives from the Asturian area of Spain. Her father was Antonio Ribas who arrived at Ellis Island 10/2/12 on the ship Carmania. Then on 11/19/14 his soon to be wife Mercedez (called Martha in the US) Gonzalez arrived at Ellis Island on the Adriatic. He was an orphan and her family was not happy that she moved to the US to marry him.

My daughter found this site through Ancestry.com and referred me to it since my family had so much in common with the Suronda Gongalez story. My Aunt Mary gave me the book Pinnick Kinnick Hill in 2003.

Thank you in advance for any assistance finding information,
Janie Walker
Marta Elena Díaz García

Welcome!

Post by Marta Elena Díaz García »

Hello Janie:
be welcome to the Forum!.

As I could see in the Ellis Island records the one from Asturias was Mercedes González and that she had a brother, Antonio González.
Do you know which part of Asturias she was from?
González is a very common surname and trying to find information will be very difficult. Perhaps the second surname or any other data could help.

Marta.
janie

Post by janie »

Hi Marta,

Thanks so much for posting to my discussion. I will try to find the name of the exact area.

Are you in Spain? I would love to visit. Our son lives in Prague so maybe on one of my visits to see him, I will be able to go there.

I live in Virginia now but lived in WV all of my life until two years ago when we retired.

Thanks again...Janie
Marta Elena Díaz García

Saludos desde Asturias

Post by Marta Elena Díaz García »

Hi, Janie:

Yes, I live in Asturias, in a small village near Avilés.
If you decide to visit Asturias, please let me know.

Marta. :D
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Welcome, Janie!

Ask your aunt Mary if any of the people she knew in Anmoore were neighbors or friends of either Antonio Ribas or Mercedes González when they lived in Asturias. Many people came to the zinc factories on the recommendation of friends and family who were already here. Also, ask if Antonio and Mercedes knew each other in Asturias and if they were from the same area.

It's also possible that the Ellis Island records list other friends or family members, either in the US or in Asturias. Marta, for example, has found reference to a possible brother.

The other thing you'll want to ask your aunt Mary is about your grandparents' full names. She may not know, but if she does it will make finding the family easier. Most people in Spain have two last names. There are often two (sometimes more) first names, then the father's first last name and then the mothers's first last name. You can read more here:
http://www.asturianus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118

Return to “General Discussion - Discusión general”