palabra asturiana más guapa / most beautiful Asturian word

Vocabulary & grammar of Asturian & Bable, comparisons with Castilian.<br>
Vocabulario y gramática de asturianu y bable, comparaciones con castellano

Moderator: Moderators

Álvaro

afayaízu

Post by Álvaro »

Terechu wrote:Voy a intentarlo yo, César.

Afayaízu: (de afayáse = hallarse agusto)
Esto en inglés sería una combinación de "comfortable" y "cozy", o como dirían los niños "comfy-cozy".

Prestoso: (prestar = dar de sí, prestancia = excelencia)
Antiguamente se diría "delightful", pero el equivalente moderno es sin duda "cool". :lol:
Si tenemos en cuenta que l'Academia de la Llingua Asturiana lleva pocu tiempu y l'asturianu permuncho ye normal que se fale distintu en sitios distintos (tres o treinta, cada valle el suyu). Pero les variaciones recoxíes nel Diccionariu Básicu de la Llingua Asturiana contempla tamién afayadiegu.

Na mio humilde opinión diría o bien CUTU que ye fríu o AFORFUGARSE que quier dicir cansase por facer un trabayu con munchu apuru
Marta Elena Díaz García

Caxigalines

Post by Marta Elena Díaz García »

Hi,

What do you think about "CAXIGALINES".... :D
Is it or not a very nice word? It is another "musical word"...

Caxigalines means: trifle, something of little importance or value :roll: :mrgreen:

-------------------------------------------------------------
¿Qué os parece "CAXIGALINES" ... :D
¿Es o no una palabra guapa? Para mi es otra palabra con música

Caxigalines: bagatelas, menudencias :roll: :mrgreen:
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Does caxigalines literally mean something like "box of chickens"?

---------------

¿Significa caxigalines palabra por palabra "caja de gallinas"?
Bob

Post by Bob »

I like the sound of it. Personally, however, I favor "xana," but my knowledge of asturianu leaves much to be desired.

I think one of the best sounding words in English is "silver" (plata), a word that oddly enough has no rhyme I can think of.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana

Me gusta cómo suena. No obstante, personalmente, sigo votando por "xana", pero mi conocimiento del asturiano deja mucho que desear.

En mi opinión una de las mejores palabras en inglḉes en cuanto a sonoridad es "silver" (plata), una palabra que, curiosamente, no tiene otra con la que rime.
Marta Elena Díaz García

Funny....

Dear Art, dear Bob: :D

It was very funny that the word "caxigalines" remember you a "caxa de gallines".....

I don´t know exactly the origin of the word. I was looking for a word equivalent in Spanish and the word "cajigal" (or "quejigal") may be a possibility. :shock:

Cajigal means a field planted with "cajigos" (or "quejigos") that are trees such as holm oaks, oaks, etc. These trees give acorns. I suppose that in bable those cajigos and, particularly their fruits, could be named as "caxigos".....and from this we have "caxigalines":

Cajigos------> caxigos-------> caxigalines. :shock: :roll: :shock:

This is my theory.....I suppose in the forum there are persons with a deeper knowledge of the ethimological origin of this word. :wink:

Xana is also a nice word.

What do you think about "paxello"? 8)
Marta

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trans. Ana

Queridos Art y Bob: :D

Me ha hecho mucha gracia que la palabra “caxigalines” os recuerde a “una caja de gallinas”....

Desconozco el origen exacto de la palabra. He buscado un equivalente en español y la palabra “cajigal” (o “quejigal”) podría ser una posibilidad :shock:

Cajigal significa campo plantado con “cajigos” (o “quejigos”), que son unos árboles como las encinas, los robles, etc. Estos árboles dan bellotas. Supongo que en bable estos cajigos y, especialmente sus frutos, podrían llamarse “caxigos”... y de ahí “caxigalines”.

Cajigos------> caxigos-------> caxigalines. :shock: :roll: :shock:

Esta es mi teoría.... Supongo que en el foro haya personas con un conocimiento más exhaustivo del origen etimológico de esta palabra. :wink:

Xana también es una palabra bonita.

¿Qué me decís de “paxello”? 8)
Marta
Marta Elena Díaz García

Silver rhymes with...

Hello Bob:

I don't know the rules for rhymes in English, but.....can silver rhyme with river? :roll:
Marta :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trans. Ana

Hola Bob:

No conozco las reglas para las rimas en inglés, pero.... ¿podría silver rimar con river? :roll:

Marta :D
Bob

Post by Bob »

I like the sound of paxellu (some kind of basket?).

As to "silver," I was thinking of what is sometimes called feminine rhyme, where the last two syllables rhyme (where the second is unstressed). I don't think there is another English word pronounced with the "ilver" sound from silver. Masculine rhymes match only the last (stressed) syllable.

Another word without a feminine rhyme in English is "orange," although some people have suggested "door hinge." The sound is not really the same, however, since the "h" in hinge is pronounced in American English (it would rhyme for Cockneys).

I write fiction and poetry, and use no rhymes (just rhythm and meter and assonance) in my poetry. Here's one little excerpt:

For others, stars and moon loom dark and black,
Chilling night mists, filled with ashes, dead men's fingers,
All cold and breathless terrors,
While we and we alone, ablaze, fear not,
And drink the living silver of the night
Marta Elena Díaz García

Silver....

Hi, Bob, :D

....and what about "sliver" (same letters, different order)....

Your poem is wonderful..... :D

"Para los otros, estrellas y luna, amenazante oscuridad y negrura.
Niebla nocturna aterradora, de cenizas, dedos amenazantes de muertos,
Frío, terrores irrespirables.
Mientras que nosotros, nosotros solos, en llamas, sin miedo,
bebemos la luz viva, de plata, de la noche...."

I like it, even after my translation :? .....

Marta
Bob

Post by Bob »

No, sliver and silver don't rhyme. It needs the "il" sound.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed the poem stanza, and I do like your translation. It's a piece of a series of poems I wrote for my wife, Evelyn, twelve years ago. I had been writing fiction for a while, but never poetry, until I notice a highway marker that read "Ruby Road," and immediately thought "more precious than rubies, glistering and darker than blood," and composed most of the poem in my mind during the rest of the drive home. This somehow led to a poem for each month of the year.

I've read some of my short stories, which are based on Asturian themes and characters, at several meetings of the Society for Literature, Science and the Arts, and will probably do so again in November. I'm currently looking for a publisher.

I'm a biology professor, and most of my colleagues donlt quite understand why I write instead of doing lab research. The simplest answer is that it is much more enjoyable and creative.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks Bob! I never noticed before that the Diccionario General de la Lengua Asturiana (DGLA) doesn´t give word origins. There´s an opportunity!

-----------------------

¡Gracias Bob! Nunca noté de que el Diccionario General de la Lengua Asturiana (DGLA) no da los orígenes de palabras. ¡Hay una oportunidad!
Camandula

Post by Camandula »

Fañagüetu es una palabra que siempre me pareció divertida, más por su sonoridad que por su significado... :wink:

Se usa sobre todo para denomimnar el aparato genital femenino.
Jesus_Aviles

Palabra favorita - Favourite word

Post by Jesus_Aviles »

The one I love the best is "Rebelgos"
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Does "rebelgos" mean "tickle"?

It appears that "fañagüetu" has several meanings. Here´s the definition from the DGLA (Diccionario General de la Lengua Asturiana):
http://mas.lne.es/diccionario/index.php ... cardesc=on
fañagüetu, a, o*.
<fañagüetu [Bi. Ca. Ac. Pr]. +fanagüitu / fanagüeta / fanagüeto [Ri].>

1. Poco seria (una persona) [Ac. Pr]. Poco seria, sin sentido ni formalidad (una persona) [Ri]. 2. De poca entidad (un niño) [Bi]. 3. Mal vestido (un niño, no el adulto) [Ca].

fañagüetu, el.
<fañagüeto [Cñ]. +fanagüitu [Ri].>

1. Mazorca pequeña destinada al ganado [Bi (= taguyu)]. 2. Cualquier planta perjudicial para los sembrados [Pr]. 3. Órgano sexual femenino [Ri]. Aparato genital femenino [Cñ (= fandango)].
-----------------------

¿Significa "rebelgos" "cosquilla"?

Parece que "fañagüetu" tiene algunos sentidos. Aquí está la definición del DGLA (Diccionario General de la Lengua Asturiana):
http://mas.lne.es/diccionario/index.php ... cardesc=on
fañagüetu, a, o*.
<fañagüetu [Bi. Ca. Ac. Pr]. +fanagüitu / fanagüeta / fanagüeto [Ri].>

1. Poco seria (una persona) [Ac. Pr]. Poco seria, sin sentido ni formalidad (una persona) [Ri]. 2. De poca entidad (un niño) [Bi]. 3. Mal vestido (un niño, no el adulto) [Ca].

fañagüetu, el.
<fañagüeto [Cñ]. +fanagüitu [Ri].>

1. Mazorca pequeña destinada al ganado [Bi (= taguyu)]. 2. Cualquier planta perjudicial para los sembrados [Pr]. 3. Órgano sexual femenino [Ri]. Aparato genital femenino [Cñ (= fandango)].
Jesus_Aviles

Rebelgos

Post by Jesus_Aviles »

Rebelgos = Cosquillas = Tickles

Return to “Asturian & Bable - Asturianu y bables”