Jesus Menendez Fernandez, desde Aviles

Tell us your story!<br>
¡Dinos tu historia!

Moderator: Moderators

Jesus_Aviles

Jesus Menendez Fernandez, desde Aviles

Post by Jesus_Aviles »

Hello, I started writing in the forum and didn’t ever notice that I hadn’t introduced myself. Congrats for the forum to those who had the idea and to those that make it possible.
About me I can tell you that I was born in Aviles, but my family comes from Co. Tineo, from a small area between Arcillero, the hometown of my father Jesus and Muñalen, the hometown of my mother Lydia.
On the side of my father, my grandparents are Sindo, son of Sabino Menendez of Casa el Malvis of San Andres and Eufrasia Rodriguez of Casa Santos of Yerbo, and Leonarda Garcia, daughter of Benjamin Garcia of Casa el Cuarto of Arcillero and Candida Rodriguez of Casa la Barrera of Cornas. The brother of my great-grandfather Sabino is Francisco, my great-great-grandfather, on behalf of my mothers grandfather.
On the side of my mother Lydia, my grandparents are Luciano Fernandez of Casa el Sulo of Muñalen, son of Luciano Fernandez of Casa la Prucha of Folgueras and Rita Menendez of Casa Xacinta of Muñalen, and Benilde Perez, daughter of Antonio Perez of Casa Santones of Paniceiros and Amadora Fernandez of Casa la Prucha of Folgueras (BTW niece of Luciano Fernandez Sr). This branch goes back by her parents Eleuterio and Teresa to the Francos Florez family in Arganza.
I’m reciting all my “lineage” just in case some relatives want to find us, not because other reasons.
Luciano Fernandez, my great-grandfather, went to Cuba and had a bar in Bejucal, there were born Ejerico and Benjamin, that emigrated to Florida. Ejerico settled in Tampa (maybe both at frist) and Benjamin in Key West. The two of them had sons named like them. Ejerico Jr. lives near New Orleans and Benjamin “Benny” died not long ago, as far as I know. My grandfather Luciano, brother of them, worked some time too in a bar, in Cerro, Havana.
My great-grandfather Antonio Perez went to Argenina several times (is told tha 13 times) and there he died, probably in La Plata. We were told that he served Alvear family, as he was “mucamo” (butler).
A brother of my great-grandmother Amadora, “Pepon” went to Cuba, and his son Jose “Pepin” still lives there, his grandson lives in Toronto.
My father was in Cuba too, he had a cafeteria in San Miguel, between Industria and Amistad. Previously he was in Caracas, working in several restaurants, like the Town Tavern. He told us that he boarded on Arosa Star and Santa Maria and that the trip was very long, so he passed days in the sea.
I don’t want to bore you too much, I’m sure there’s a big amount of relatives out there, because in the past families had a big number of kids and the branches are neverending.
I’m here to help if someone needs something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hola, me he puesto a escribir en el foro y no me he dado cuenta siquiera de que no me he presentado. Felicidades por el foro a los que tuvisteis la idea y a los que lo haceis posible.
De mi os puedo contar que naci en Aviles, aunque mi familia viene del concejo de Tineo, de un area pequeña, entre Arcillero, el pueblo de mi padre Jesus y Muñalen, el pueblo de mi madre Lydia.
Por parte de mi padre mis abuelos son Sindo, hijo de Sabino Menendez de Casa el Malvis de San Andres y Eufrasia Rodriguez de Casa Santos de Yerbo y de Leonarda Garcia, hija de Benjamin Garcia de Casa el Cuarto de Arcillero y Candida Rodriguez de Casa la Barrera en Cornas. El hermano de mi bisabuelo Sabino es Francisco, mi tatarabuelo por parte de mi abuelo materno.
Por parte de mi madre, mis abuelos son Luciano Fernandez de Casa el Sulo de Muñalen, hijo de Luciano Fernandez de Casa la Prucha de Folgueras y Rita Menendez de Casa Xacinta de Muñalén y Benilde Perez, hija de Antonio Perez de Casa Santones de Paniceiros y de Amadora Fernandez de Casa la Prucha de Folgueras, sobrina del mencionado Luciano Fernandez. Esta rama continua hacia atrás por sus padres Eleuterio y Teresa y se remonta hasta los Francos Florez de Arganza.
Os recito todo mi “linaje” por si aparece algun pariente, no por otra razon 
Luciano Fernandez, mi bisabuelo, se fue a Cuba y tuvo taberna en Bejucal, ahí nacieron Ejerico y Benjamin, que luego se fueron a Florida. Ejerico acabo en Tampa y Benjamin en Key West, ambos tuvieron hijos de su mismo nombre. Ejerico Jr esta cerca de Nueva Orleans y Benjamin “Benny” Jr murio en Key West no hace mucho, según tengo entendido. Mi abuelo Luciano, hermano de estos, estuvo trabajando un tiempo también en La Habana en el Cerro.
Mi bisabuelo Antonio Perez se fue a Argentina unas cuantas veces (dicen que 13) y allí murio, muy posiblemente en La Plata, dicen que estaba al servicio de los Alvear, era “mucamo”.
Un hermano de mi Bisabuela Amadora, “Pepon” se fue a Cuba y su hijo Jose “Pepin” sigue alli. El hijo de este vive en Toronto.
Mi padre también estuvo en Cuba, tenía una cafetería en San Miguel, entre Industria y Amistad; previamente había estado en Caracas, trabajando en varios restaurantes, entre ellos el Town Tavern. Contaba que había viajado en el Arosa Star y el Santa Maria y que habia pasado muchos dias en la mar.
No sigo por no aburriros, pero seguro que la mayoría somos parientes, pues antes las familias tenian tantos hermanos que las ramas son interminables.
A vuestra disposición para lo que haga falta.
Last edited by Jesus_Aviles on Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

¡Bienvenido, Jesús!

También, muchas gracias por contar la historia de tu family. Siempre me asombra cuando leo las historias de otras familias inmigrantes. ¡Tu familia se mostró especialmente activo en su movimiento entre países!

---------------------

Welcome, Jesús!

Thanks for telling your family's story, too. It always amazes me to read the stories of other immigrant families. Your family was especially active in moving between countries!

Return to “Introduction of Members - Presentación de miembros”