The North Wind

Stories, rituals, customs, & more.<br>
Cuentos, rituales, costumbres, y más.

Moderator: Moderators

Joniwrite1

The North Wind

Post by Joniwrite1 »

My Wela was terrified by the North Wind and would close windows in the middle of Summer if it blew! I remember her lectures about it causing illness and bringing Evil into the house. There were always prayers after the windows slammed shit.

----
Trans. Is

A mio güela daba-y llerza el vientu´l norte. Si soplaba, pesllaba les ventanes incluso nos meses de brano! Inda m'alcuerdo sentila decir qu'el vientu yera malu pa la salú, que dexaba entrar la maldá. Depués de pesllar les ventanes poníase a rezar.
Joniwrite1
cando91

Post by cando91 »

I think there might be a little Freudian slip there at the end. But thanks- it made me smile first thing in the morning

----
Trans. Is

Peimeque se meteu un lapso freudiano na frase ["slammed shit"]. Pero gracies por allegrame la mañana.
is

Post by is »

Did the shit hit the fan after the window slammed shut? Anyway, in Asturias the wind tends to sweep in from the Atlantic either from Galicia (called 'gallego', often associated with rainfall) or head on from the British Isles. Then there's the northeasterly (called 'nordest') which I think tends to be barren (little rain). When it sweeps from the hot south, the wind leads to sudden temperature changes. The Gulf Stream is really fickle lately, but if your güela feared the northern winds it was the cold, rain-bearing kind. I could never figure out my own grandmother's obsession with "la corriente" (a draft in the house). It drove her insane and indeed one Asturian word for insanity (aventau) means someone who has been overexposed to wind.
Joniwrite1

Too early in the morning?

Post by Joniwrite1 »

I should probably stop typing at 3am, or scan what I write!

A) Granny shut the window.
B) It was the north wind that came out of Oregon and off the Pacific that bothered her (the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta above San Francisco was a mile north).
C) Perhaps it was the cold draft and memories of her childhood.

Thank you for the geography lesson. Having been an oceanographer I should have recognized the atmospheric differences. Ah, childhood memories... :?

I'm glad it made you smile cando,

----
Trans. Is

Peimeque nun ye bono escribir a les 3 de la madrugada. O igual me fai falta revisar lo qu'escribo!

A) Mio güela pieslla la ventana.
B) Yera el vientu'l norte que sopla dende Oregon y l'océanu Pacíficu el que-y sentaba mal (el delta del Ríu Sacramento y San Joaquín taba una milla al norte d'ou tábemos nós)
C) Seique yera la corriente fría o dalguna memoria de cuando yera mocina.

Toes maneres, gracies pola lección de xeografía. Como oceonógrafa, tendría que ter reconocío les diferencies atmosfériques. Vaya recuerdos:?

Cando, allegrame que t'arrancara una sorrisa.
Joniwrite1

Return to “Folklore”