Concha Menéndez

Discussion of photos in the AsturianUS.org photo album pages.<br>
Discusión de fotos en las páginas del álbum de fotos de AsturianUS.org.

Moderator: Moderators

Charolette

Concha Menéndez

Post by Charolette »

In the photo of Concha Menéndez with two men, the man on her right is her husband, Avelino Alonso. They married in Harrison County W. Va in 1923, had a son Mauual in 1924. I'm not sure how long they stayed in W Va but they moved to New York. They are listed in New York in the 1930 New York census.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks, Charolette. Are you talking about the photo below?

I'll fix the description.

Do you know who the man is to her left?

-------------------------------

Gracias, Charolette. ¿Estás pensando de esta foto más arriba?

Arreglaré la descripción.

¿Sabes quién es el hombre a su izquierda?
Charolette

Post by Charolette »

My Uncle Duce (Joe Garcia) said that the man on Concha's left is Mario Casentino (I'm not sure of the spelling). Mario was Duce's Godfather, but he lost contact with Mario many years ago. He thinks Mario was a cousin of Concha.
Ron Gonzalez

Post by Ron Gonzalez »

Charolette,
How is your Uncle Duce? Give him my best. I think the last time that I saw him was when Helo passed away; that was a long time ago.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Charolette, was Mario Casentino Italian?

Ron, do you know how to spell "Casentino"?

--------------------

Charolette, ¿era italiano Mario Casentino?

Ron ¿sabes cómo se deletrea a "Casentino"?
Charolette

Post by Charolette »

Ron,
Duce is doing great. He is always on the go. He is planning a trip back to Asturias with us in the fall. He lives about 45 minutes away from me but we see him often. He really likes the family research that I am trying to do and always has stories.
Art,
I don't know if Mario is Italian but he must be at least part Spanish if he he related to Concha. I will be seeing Duce on Tuesday and I will see if I can get more information. We have been trying to get information on Mino (Avelino) for years and I just found it the other day. Now I know when he was born and when he died. I know that he moved back to Spain and remarried, but I don't know the name of the woman he married. If I can order his death record maybe I will find out who she was. It is always exciting when I finally find something new.
Cathy Langhoff

Concha photo

Post by Cathy Langhoff »

The man on the left in the photo of Concha (Concha's right), is her brother and my grandfather, Johnny Menendez. Look at the single photo of John Menendez and the one of the three of them, John, Joan and Edna Voelp Menendez.
Last edited by Cathy Langhoff on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cathy Langhoff

More on Concha

Post by Cathy Langhoff »

Mario Consentino passed away 15 Oct 2005 in Brooklyn, New York. He married Palo Manuela who I believe is still living. My grandparents drove them to Baltimore, Maryland on their wedding night, with my seven year old mother in the backseat between them!

Mario was the son of Angelo Casentino, born in Italy, and Mary Menendez, the daughter of Sabino Menendez and Josefa Artimez Alonzo, and sister of my grandfather Johnny Menendez.

Concha, called Co, married Avelino Alonzo, called Mino, in Harrison Co, WV, 27 Oct 1923.

My grandfather, Johnny Menendez, had been a Merchant Marine throughout the 1930's. When the war began he left the Merchant Marine to work in the shipyards. He worked in Mobile, AL during the war and then moved on to New Orleans. He had a chief engineer license and was a shipping engineer. He died 6 Oct 1965 in New Orleans. During my research I discovered the ship he had served on as a Merchant Marine had been sunk in WWII.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Uh oh. Help me out Cathy!

I'm guessing that I've labeled the other photos incorrectly. Or was Sabino also called "John" or "Juan"?

The description for the photo with the title, "Menéndez Brothers," says:
John "Sabino" (Cathy Langhoff's grandfather) & his brother Pat "Angel", were sons of Sabino Menéndez & Josefa Artímez. John was an infant when they immigrated. Pat was born in America.

The description for the photo with the title, "John Menéndez," says:
"Johnny" Menendez, known as "Sabino," was Cathy Langhoff's grandfather.

Johnny/John wasn't "Sabino," was he?

This is Sabino, a different person, right?

Do you know where or when these photos were taken?

For anyone wondering where these photos appear, they are in the Photo Album in the 5th, 6th, and 7th rows on this page:
http://www.asturianus.org/album/familyP ... hotos.html
Cathy Langhoff

Concha

Post by Cathy Langhoff »

My understanding is that my grandfather - John/ Johnny Menendez was Sabino to his family, or at least early on. His father's name was Sabino as well. I am not aware of any time being called Juan. He is listed on legal documents as John Menendez, having dropped Sabino. When he immigrated with his mother and siblings in 1907 he was listed as Sabino. On the 1920 US Census for Harrison Co, WV he is listed with his father Sabino, as Sabino, Jr. There is also a birth record for him listed in Harrison Co, WV birth records as John Menendez, just below Concha.

I do not know where any of the photos were taken. I do not know much about him as I was ten years old when he died. I would guess that the photo of Sabino the elder may have been taken in Brooklyn because he lived with my grandparents, John & Edna and my mother, Joan in the Spanish Quarter. He died in Lyndhurst, Bergen, New Jersey on 21 June 1939, of stomach cancer and bronchial asthma.
Ellie

Re: Concha Menéndez

Post by Ellie »

Charolette wrote:In the photo of Concha Menéndez with two men, the man on her right is her husband, Avelino Alonso. They married in Harrison County W. Va in 1923, had a son Mauual in 1924. I'm not sure how long they stayed in W Va but they moved to New York. They are listed in New York in the 1930 New York census.
I am not even sure how to start this, so here it goes I put in my mothers name and came up with this site. I have been trying to come up with anything on my mothers side of the family and have never found any thing till now My Mothers name is Concha Alonso her father is/was Manuel Alsonso He was married to Helen weiner in New york and later divorced Manuel Father was Avalino (sp) Alonso from spain and he married a women named Concha from West Virgina After seeing you named then in a picture I was wondering if it is my mothers grandparents Thank you. Ellie
Charolette

Post by Charolette »

This is very exciting! We have not been able to find much about Avelino or his son Manual. I only know (not even for sure) that Manual died young, in his 40's. I would love to know more about you and whatever you might know about Manual and his father. Also I have heard that Concha died fairly young, of cancer and that Avelino moved back to Spain and remarried there.
Cathy Langhoff

Post by Cathy Langhoff »

Ellie, how wonderful it is to find you! We have "lost" this branch. My grandfather, John (Sabino Jr) Menendez was Concha's brother. No one knew what happened to Manuel. Please can you post some more genealogy about descendants? Do you have any photos? I have posted on this site all that I have left after the Hurricane Katrina flood in New Orleans. I would like to see more. Welcome to the forum.
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

You know as much as I do, My mom Concha said that Concha died very young from seroisis(sp) of the liver. And that Avelino did go back to spain and remarried a lady named Marie or Maria. They also moved back to Brooklyn.

Manuel was in a accident and suffered from seizures after it, the last time my mom seen Manuel was around the age of 5. he had 4 children Concha, Joesph, Mary and Stephanie. My mother said That he was married to Helen Weiner and someone else at the same time so that was why they got divorced
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Thanks for the welcome, I have been looking for a long time, I have no photos and very little information. I would be greatful for any copies of photos or information, like what were concha parents names? I can not go back past Avelino(sp?) or Concha. Is there a family there a family tree Some where that I could look at? Manuel had 4 children Concha, Joseph, Mary, Stephanie. Steph. passed away last fall she had 3 children John, Paul and Dawn(passed away in 90's) My Mom Concha has 3 children Myself, son Douglas and daughter Roberta And I have no info on Mary or Joseph I am also looking for mothers mother side also.

Return to “Our Photo Album - Nuestro álbum de fotos”