Cuayau, Queso de Peñamellera - Cuayau, Cheese of Peñamelle

Asturian cheeses & recipes with cheese<br>
Quesos asturianos y recetas con queso

Moderators: almudena, Moderators

Art
Site Admin

Cuayau, Queso de Peñamellera - Cuayau, Cheese of Peñamelle

Post by Art »

I'm now enjoying a mild, fairly soft cheese: Cuayau which is produced by the Queso de Peñamellera, a cooperative.

The cooperative is located in the concejo (more or less a county) of Peñamellera Alta. This concejo has fewer than 800 residents and is located in eastern Asturias near Cantabria. It is an area of mountains and valleys and, I think, is on the edge of the Picos de Europa.

I suspect that the Asturian name of the cheese, Cuayau comes from the Asturian word for cheese curd: cuayada, or from the verb to separate the solid (curd) from the liquid (whey): cuayase.

This cow's milk cheese came in a plastic mesh wrapper, but doesn't appear to have a wax coating. (Or if it does I didn't mind eating it!) The flavor is mild and the texture somewhat creamy. It is not a hard cheese. To be honest, it is an enjoyable but unremarkable cheese, and thus good for the timid!

-------------

Disfruto ahora de un queso suave y bastante blando: Cuayau que es producido por Queso de Peñamellera, una cooperativa.

La cooperativa esta localizada en el concejo de Alta Peñamellera. Este concejo tiene menos de 800 residentes y es localizado en Asturias oriental cerca de Cantabria. Esto es un área de montañas y valles y, creo, está al borde de los Picos de Europa.

Sospecho que el nombre asturianu del queso, Cuayau viene de la palabra asturiana para la cuajada de queso: cuayada (la misma en asturianu y castellano), o del verbo para separar el sólido (cuajada) del líquido (suero): cuayase.

El queso de leche de vaca vino en una envoltura de malla plástica, pero no parece tener una capa de cera. (¡O si hay no me opuse a comerlo!) El sabor es suave y la textura algo cremosa. Esto no es un queso duro. Con toda franqueza, es un queso agradable pero innotable, ¡y así sería muy bien para los tímidos!
cuida

Return to “Cheeses - Quesos”