Barcelona visit

Restaurants, sights, lodging, festivals, etc.<br>
Restaurantes, lugares de interés, alojamiento, fiestas, etc.
janie

Barcelona visit

Post by janie »

My daughter, her husband and three year old daughter will be visiting Barcelona for three days in June. Any suggestions what they should see or do while they are there? Thanks!
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

There's a lot to see and do in Barcelona. What kinds of things do they like to see and do?

----------------------------

Hay mucho que se puede hacer y ver en Barcelona. ¿Cuál tipo de cosas que les gustan ver y hacer?
janie

Post by janie »

The hotel they are planning to book is Hotel Fira Palace. Are you familiar with that hotel? If so where it is located in comparison to some of the sights they are interested in? They read something about a Barcelona Card -- any idea what that is or if it is worth getting? Suggestion for a bus tours in English. They were told by someone that there is a great aquarium that would be good for the three year old. What's the name of the large church seen in a lot of the pictures of Barcelona and is it located in town? Any child friendly places to eat would also be helpful.
Thanks for any information that would assist them. They will only be there two or three days.

I posted last year that I am trying to find out some things about our family in Spain. I have since found out some information that may help find out something. Should I start another topic?
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hi, Janie,

In general, if the new information you have is related to an old topic, add it to the old topic. If it's about a different matter, start a new thread.

Barcelona is far from Asturias and I've not been to Barcelona in many years, so I'm not a good source. But I think some of the main tourist sites are La Sagrada Familia (probably the church you've seen photos of), La Pedrera or Casa Mila, and Parque Güelle, all three works of Antonio Gaudi. Also the Ramblas area is well-known. There is an aquarium and zoo, but I've never seen them. I really liked the Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya, especially it's collection of Romanesque art, but it's currently closed. Others may have other ideas.

---------------------

Hola, Janie:

En general, si la nueva información que tienes es relacionado a un tema viejo, añade al tema que ya existe. Si se trata de una cuestión diferente, iniciar un nuevo hilo.

Barcelona está muy lejos de Asturias y no he visitado a Barcelona en muchos años, así que no soy una buena fuente de información. Pero creo que algunos de los principales puntos de interés son La Sagrada Familia (probablemente la iglesia que has visto en fotos), La Pedrera o Casa Milá, y Parc Qüelle, las tres siendo obras de Antonio Gaudí. También la zona de las Ramblas es bien conocida. Sí, hay un acuario y un zoológico, pero nunca los he visto. Me gustó mucho el Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya, especialmente su colección de arte románico, pero está cerrado actualmente. Otros pueden tener otras ideas.
janie

Post by janie »

Great hearing from you. Thanks for the suggestions. Wish I also was coming to Spain. I would certainly go to the Asturias area.
Marta Elena Díaz García

Barcelona

Post by Marta Elena Díaz García »

Hi Janie:
The buildings mentioned by Art are "obligatory", but you also can visit the "Olimpic village" (I think it is not too far from your hotel). The aquarium is perfect for the little girl and it is near to the harbour.

Another place to visit is Montserrat: it is not in the city but it is probably that there is a bus or another way to go there.
Montserrat is a sacred mountain in which you can find a benedictine monastery. In it the Virgin of Montserrat is revered. This Virgin is a carving of white poplar although she is named "La Moreneta" due to its dark colour.

The way up to the top, where the church is located, is wonderful and the shape of some of the rocks remember different things: a finger pointing to the sky, monks praying, etc. The tourism office provide you information about the best way to go there.

Some peolple, particularly young people use to go to Montserrat, to wait for UFOs as it is considered a magic mountain. There are many caves and only a few can be visited.

I am sure you will enjoy Barcelona,
Marta
janie

Post by janie »

Hi Marta,
I remember you from last year when I posted. So good to hear from you again. I have made not of the places you mentioned. I do wish I was going but it is my daugher, her husband and my three year old granddaughter.
I am going to post some things about my family that I found so hope you will respond if you know anything that would help. Hopefully within the next few days.
Thanks again,
Janie

Return to “Travel - Viajar”