Esgalaziau-Starving, hungry, famished - hambriento

Build your Asturian vocabulary with these definitions and examples<br />
Aumente tu vocabulario asturianu con estas definiciones y ejemplos

Moderators: Moderators, Asturian Vocabulary Posters

Marta Elena Díaz García

Esgalaziau-Starving, hungry, famished - hambriento

Post by Marta Elena Díaz García »

The term “esgalaziau” means a person or an animal that is not just hungry but voracious, that is greedy for eating.

Related with esgalaziau are these other words: the verb, “esgalazar” = to be greedy and “esgalazamientu” = famine, feel the stomach empty due to hunger

One of my dogs is always “esgalaziau”, when he eats he does so fast that I think he doesn't chew the food. Even, he tries to steal the food of the others.

My mother says: "Esti perru siempre ta' esgalaciau; paez que nun comió en un mes". (This dog is always hungry; it seems he does not eat a month ago)
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

So, does this word have a negative connotation? Would a person say, "Boy, I'm really hungry!" by using esgalaziau?

-----------------------------

¿Entonces, tiene esta palabra una connotación negativa? Se dice, "¡Vaya, tengo hambre!" utilizando esgalaziau?
Marta Elena Díaz García

Connotation

Post by Marta Elena Díaz García »

Hi, Art

Yes, the word has a negative connotation. It may refer to a person that never is plenty, that never seems to be full :oops: .....It is terrible but it is so.

However, the word "esfamiau" is also for a hungry person, for that who has no food to eat.

Marta. :D
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I guess we'd say "greedy" (as you have already said), "gluttonous," or even "piggy".

---------------------

Tal vez digamos "greedy" ("codicioso") (como ya has dicho), "gluttonous" (glotón) o incluso "piggy" (actuar como un porco).
Bob

esgalaziau

Post by Bob »

How about "famished" in English?
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Hi, Bob! Nice to see you back again!

Yes, it sounds like "esfamiau" would be closer to "famished" or maybe "ravenous." But "esgalaziau" seems to be pejorative (very negative meaning, not something you would say kindly or about yourself).

I guess that in English we can use "starving" or "famished" to mean both "to be very hungry" and also "to be so hungry as to be fearsome."

-------------------

¡Bienvenido, Bob! ¡Qué bueno verte otra vez por aquí!

Sí, parece que "esfamiau" sería más como nuestras palabras "famished" o tal vez "ravenous." Pero "esgalaziau" parece más peyorativa (muy negativa en sentido, no lo que se dice su mismo o con bondad).

Supongo que en inglés podamos utilizar "starving" (hambroso)" o "famished" (moriendo de hambre) en el sentido tanto de "tener mucha hambre" como "tener tanto hambre que sea aterrador a los demas".

Return to “Asturian word of the week - Pallabra selmanal n'asturianu”