A summer reading list recommendation

News about books, recordings, films, etc. related to Asturias.<br>
Noticias acerca de libros, discos, películas, etc. relacionados con Asturies.

Moderator: Moderators

Manuell Alvarez

A summer reading list recommendation

Post by Manuell Alvarez »

Hello Everyone,

Recently, a long time member of the forum, recommended that I read the book entitled, Pinnick Kinnick Hill, written by G.W. Gonzalez. It is an account of the life and experiences of the Asturian emmigrants who came to Harrison County, West Virginia. It is the most definitive and important written work on Asturian Americans. The forward is written by a former resident of Harrison County.

I enjoyed it very much. The Berkeley County Public Liibrary had a copy in their West Virginia history section right where it was told that I would find a copy. I highly recommend this book for all Spainish peoples. It is at the top of my summer reading list. If your library does not have this book, they may have an innerloan program where one might obtain a copy. It is written in both English and Spanish. I intend to read it again.

My father came to the Clarksburg area in January, 1920, which is at the end of the great Asturian migration; although, he had family members living and working there much earlier than that date. I found a few parallels to the anecdotal stories told by my father in the book.

Gathering dust on my book shelf are the following titles that I must read this summer and add to my read list:

The Siege of the Alcazar by Cecil D. Eby
Iberia by James A. Michener
Or I'll Dress You In Mourning by Larry Collins and Dominique Lapierre

Admittly, I have read excerpts from each one. There is nothing worst than books gathering dust and never read from cover to cover, in my opinion.

Manuell Alvarez a.k.a Manolito
Joniwrite1

reading list

Post by Joniwrite1 »

I'm glad to see Michner's book is on your reading list. My grandfather was a good friend of Michner's and colaberated with him on Iberia. It is on my "reread" list now that I have a better understanding of the Asturiano history.
Joniwrite1
Manuell Alvarez

Joniwrite 1,

Thank you for your reply. Your Grandfather has left you quite a legacy. I look forward to reading the entire book. My copy is a paperback and is about 960 pages including the index. I have had it forever, and have decided to read it from cover to cover this year. I know that you are very proud of the contributions that your Grandfather has made to our heritage and history through this book.

Muchisimas Gracias por su contacto, Tu Amigo,

Manolito o Manny
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

The author of the forward is Suronda Gonzalez, one of the founders of the forum. In fact, our founding came about largely due to the publication of Pinnick Kinnick Hill and the excitement and pride this book created in our community. As Manny says, it's well worth reading!

Amazon has copies on sale, in both hard cover and soft cover. In fact, Asturian-American Migration Forum receives a percentage on any orders made through our affiliate links. This is an easy way to support the forum, at no cost to you.

To buy Pinnick Kinnick Hill, please use this link:
Pinnick Kinnick Hill on Amazon.com

Here's a link for any kind of shopping on Amazon.

You'll find a full list of our affiliate links here:
http://www.asturianus.org/affiliateLinks.html
Manuell Alvarez

Art,

The cover to Pinnick Kinnick Hill, has a painting of Anmoore that was painted by your grandfather, Emilio Fernandez Alvarez. It symbolizes the great Asturian migration to the Clarksburg area, and is especially meaningful to me, since my father came to Anmoore in January, 1920.

On your website, Arte Asturias, Three Generations of Asturian-American Painters, I was appalled to read that some of his paintings diappeared from his residence in Anmoore. This is quite a loss to your family and the Asturian community and descendants.

I also enjoyed your family pictures posted on the website, thank you for sharing.

I was wondering if you have ever considered a display of his prominent works at the National Gallery of Art in Washington and Library of Congress. They would also make great U.S. postage stamps.

Manny o Manolito
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks for your very positive comments. I'm really pleased that you enjoy his work. Me, too!

Well, we had a small display of his work in Clarksburg once. Frankly, I don't think the National Gallery of Art would be interested, but it'd be fun to try. I spent many years as an artist myself and found that it's very difficult to get a show in a high visibility setting like that.

------------------

Gracias por tu comentario tan constructivo. Me alegra que te encanta sus cuadros. A mí también.

Pues, montamos una pequeña exposición de sus obras en Clarksburg una vez. Francamente, no creo que la Galería Nacional de Arte sería interesado, pero sería divertido intentar. Pasé muchos años como artista y noté que es muy difícil obtener una exposición en un entorno de gran visibilidad de esa clase.
Manuell Alvarez

You are welcome. I am impressed with his work and sorry that I missed the exhibit in Clarksburg. His art work is an important part of our Asturian American heritage and experience, and deserves to be exhibited in the NGA. Your website is a great way to showcase his art work and is accessible worldwide.

Having his painting of Anmoore on the book cover is quite a tribute and honor. By purchasing the book, one also has a copy of his artwork. Let me know if you ever decide to have another exhibit.

Manolito o Manny

Return to “Review/Recommendation - Crítica/recomendación”