Difficulty in ordering a Spanish tortilla.

If you can't figure out where else to post, say it here.<br>
Si no sabes dónde poner tu tema, pongalo aquí.

Moderator: Moderators

Manuell Alvarez

Difficulty in ordering a Spanish tortilla.

Post by Manuell Alvarez »

Hello Everyone,

This experience could very well be placed under humor; however, I decided to start here first. Back in the late 1960's, I decided to order a Spanish tortilla in a local restaurant. I explained it to the waitress who took my order. She wrote down the instructions and proceeded to place my order in the kitchen, soon, I found myself explaining it to the cook who then called over the owner and after a lengthly and three way discussion, what I recieved was a western omelette with a side order of french fries.

From then on, I have always made my own tortillas, and during a long protracted recovery from an illness in 1999 , I had a Spanish tortilla every morning for breaksfast for two months. Since then, I fix them rarely due to the high cholesterol content of eggs. I have tried egg substitutes; the results and taste is not the same.

Tu Amigo,

Manny, (a.k.a. Manolito)
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I can imagine this conversation! It's really hard to envision something we've never seen. Thanks for sharing the funny story, Manny.

-----------------------

¡Me imagino esta conversación! Es muy difícil imaginar lo que nunca hemos visto. Gracias por compartir este cuento divertido, Manny.
Manuell Alvarez

Art,

It is a comical episode of misunderstanding that results when one tries to order something that is not on the menu.

Manny
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Another solution (taking an idea from Bob Martínez) would be to actually make a Spanish tortilla for them. Bob likes to cook for chefs!

--------------------

Otra solución (tomando una idea de Bob Martínez) sería hacer una tortilla española para ellos. A Bob le gusta mucho cocinar para los chefs!
Manuell Alvarez

Yes, that is a great idea and, hopefully, the next restuarant will get it right.

Manny
Raquel M

Post by Raquel M »

I remember a dear cousin, she was sooo funny, she was very old and
very small lady, she had white hair and beautiful blue eyes....she said
the first time she went to New York she had to eat Cuban food
and she wanted "tostones" so nobody at the restaurant knew how to
make them ....she told the cook...take the green plantains, cut them,
fry them and after that punch...yes punch several times the fried
plantains and fried them again!!! she was so funny explaining how to
punch the plantains, we all laughed so much!!! I was a little girl and I
remember her everytime I make the "tostones" !
Manuell Alvarez

Raquel,

Thanks for sharing your story. It is hard to order things that we like to eat in restaurants that have not a clue on how to fix the dish even though one explains how to fix the dish and they have the ingredients. It is a funny scene, and I have had my share of them. Once I tried to order a cognac in an ethnic restaurant. My sister told me that I almost cauesd an international incident; however, she enjoyed the dilemna. They had a bottle of it in their bar; however, the bar tender did not what size glass to serve it in and just about every worker was giving him advice and as they held up a glass, they would point to me for approval.

Manny

Return to “General Discussion - Discusión general”