Pimiento pequeño verde salada - small green salted pepper

Recipes for berza, cabbage, green beans, kale, potatoes, etc.<br>
Recetas para berza, col, judias verdes, col rizada, patatas, etc.

Moderators: almudena, Moderators

Art
Site Admin

Pimiento pequeño verde salada - small green salted pepper

Post by Art »

My cousin likes to fix fresh, small green peppers, fried in olive oil and salted. In any batch, some are spicy and some are almost sweet.

What are they called? Are they called "pimientos de Padrón"?

Are they Asturian, northern, or Spanish?

Is the salting usually heavy?

-----------------------------

A mi prima le gusta preparar unos pequeños pimientos frescos y verdes. Los cocina fritos en aceite de oliva con sal. En cualquier lote, algunos son picantes y algunos son más dulces.

¿Cómo se llaman? ¿Se llaman "pimientos de Padrón"?

¿Son una comida asturiana, del norte, o española?

¿Es la salazón por lo general fuerte?
Maestro Tomberi

Post by Maestro Tomberi »

En efecto, Los pimientos del Padrón (unos pican y otros non) son típicos de Galicia, si bien aquí los hemos adoptado como un recurso cada vez más nuestro (de hecho mi padre los cultiva)... claro que los gallegos son indiscutiblemente mejores puesto que además allí sólo se consumen de temporada, que suele ser durante todo el verano.

Respecto al salado de los mismos, lo habitual es ponerles bastante sal gorda. Aunque pueda parecer bastante, no sala tanto los alimentos como la fina.

Como última nota, recomendaros que aquellos que veais en los mercados en cuyas bolsas traiga escrito "¡¡No pica ninguno!!"; cuyo precio además es muy inferior a los demás, los rechaceis. Su sabor y calidad distan bastante de lo deseable
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Effectively, Padrón peppers (some are hot some are not) are typical from Galicia, if well we have adopted them as an each time more ours resource (in fact my father cultivates them)... altough Galicians are undiscussedly better since also they are only consumed during their season, which uses to be all the summer.

Regarding the salted of the same ones, the usual fashion is to add thick grain salt. Altough it may look like a lot, it doesn't salt the food as much as the fine one.

As a last note, I encourage you to discard those peppers you may see in the market in which bags there says "None of them is hot!!" and their price is also way cheaper than the rest. Their flavour and quality is far bahind of what you desire.
Charolette

Post by Charolette »

We had the Padron peppers several times when we were in Aviles. We enjoyed them so much that I grew some here last summer. They grew great and were very good. They produce alot of peppers on each plant and keep going until frost.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Maestro Tomberi, thanks for the help! They are good.

Charolotte, where did you get the seeds? Were the plants easy to care for?

I see that La Tienda has the Padrón peppers, grown in the US, when they're in season. You can click on the image below to go to their website. Search for "Padron" to find them. We receive a little income when you use these links, but there is no extra cost to you. That is is how we pay for the web hosting for AsturianUS.org.

Here's our La Tienda affiliate link (click on the image):

--------------------------

¡Maestro Tomberi, gracias por la ayuda! Me encantan esos pimientos.

Charolotte, ¿dónde encontraste las semillas? ¿Fue fácil cultivar las plantas?

Veo que La Tienda tiene los pimientos de Padrón, cuando están en temporada, y que se cultivan en los EE.UU.. Se puede hacer clic en la imagen de abajo para ir a su página. Hay que buscar para "Padron" para encontrarlos. Recibimos un pequeño ingreso cuando se utiliza el eslabón, pero no hay ningún costo extra para ti. Esa es la forma en que se paga por el alojamiento web para AsturianUS.org.

Aquí está nuestra red de afiliados de La Tienda (haz clic en la imagen):
Charolette

Post by Charolette »

Art
We have s small nursery here that specializes in herbs and seeds. They grew quite well. The plants grew to about 5 feet tall and all I had to do was water them and pick the peppers! I gave a few plant starts to my Mother and she grew them in pots with no problem. I think I will do the same this year.

https://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/st ... id145.html

I will be going to get my seeds sometime in the next few days and I would be happy to get some for you. Just let me know. The only problem I had last year was that not all my seeds sprouted. I had to plant more seeds later but a pack of 25 seeds should be more than adequate. I read somewhere that 3 or 4 plants would be enough for a family. I had about 8 or 9 plants and I gave peppers to everybody!
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Several of the Padrón peppers have sprouted. I've put a heat pad under the tray in case that'll help.
Charolette

Post by Charolette »

I think I planted mine a little sooner than you did and I have 35 out of 36 up and growing. I'm going to be able to supply the whole family with plants and still have some left over! I also used a heat pad and I do think it helps.
Charolette

Padron Peppers

Post by Charolette »

Art
Have you been eating your Padron Peppers? Tomorrow night we will have them for the third time this week. They are so good!
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Ours are probably ready now, too. How large do you let them grow? Do you let any of them turn colors? How do you fix yours?

----------------------

Creo que los nuestros son listos ahora, también. ¿Hasta cuál tamaño les dejas crecer? ¿Permites que algunos cambian color? ¿Cómo los cocinas?
Charolette

Post by Charolette »

I pick them when they are 1 1/2 to 2 inches. I don't let any of them get too big because I want them to keep producing new peppers. I think my Mom let some of hers get bigger, and maybe red, last year and she thought they were good.
I just sauté them in a very small amount of olive oil (just enough to coat the bottom of the skillet), and then put a little sea salt on them. I have found that if you pierce each pepper with the tip of a knife they don't spatter so badly.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

Thanks for the instructions. That worked well. I was the only one willing to try them, but they were just like I remember eating in Asturias! Delicious!

I think the pimientos de Padrón may get hotter if they stay on the plant longer. I picked a few colored ones today and ate them this evening. They were more exciting than the usual!

--------------------------------

Gracias por las instrucciones. Tuve éxito. Yo era el único quien quería probarlos, ¡pero estaban igual que recuerdo haber comido en Asturias! ¡Delicioso!

Creo que los pimientos de Padrón puede hacerse más caliente si se quedan en la planta por más tiempo. Cogí unos coloreados hoy y los comí esta tarde. ¡Fueron más "emocionante" que lo normal!
Bob

padron peppers

Post by Bob »

I've eaten dozens of padron peppers from La Tienda in Virginia, fried in a little olive oil. They all look alike (small and green), but about one in thirty is hot enough to make me howl at the moon.
Charolette

Post by Charolette »

I have had the Padron Peppers three times this summer and so far no hot ones. When I grew them last summer it didn't seem to matter how big or how small they were, sometimes a small one would be extra hot.
Art
Site Admin

Post by Art »

I've combined all of the messages about Pimientos de Padrón here for ease of reading.

----------------

He puesto todos los mensajes sobre los pimientos de Padrón aquí para hacerlo más fácil leer.
Maestro Tomberi

Post by Maestro Tomberi »

This very summer we have harvested a very nice quantity of Padrón peppers at the village. However, we delayed it so much they got red and dark red; but gues what: they turn much hotter even!!

With them I managed to make a homemade tabasco-kind sauce. The ingredients: a big amount of peppers, salt and vinegar... and boy, that is hot!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Este mismo verano hemos recolectado una buena cantidad de pimientos del Padrón en la aldea. Sin embargo, hemos tardado tanto que se han vuelto de un color rojo oscuro, pero adivinad: pican todavía mucho más!!

Con ellos me las he apañadp para hacer una salsa tipo tabasco. Los ingredientes: Una buena cantidad de piimientos del Padrón, vinagre y sal y... chico, eso sí que pica!!

Return to “Vegetable Dishes - Verduras”